MDR food quality

cruisingmoose7

What are you expecting a blasting for? Are you just after a argument for the sake of it?

As someone who liked the Spirit, I couldn't find a single thing in your post to take exception to. Seemed a reasonable, if largely off topic, report.

By the way, next time book your meals online before sailing and then you can do something more fun with your time on the first day.

Why would I be after an argument for the sake of it?!

Although, I see you were the first to comment!

What particularly, did you like about the Spirit (in comparison to other cruises you'd done) you didn't say why you liked it.

Largely off topic. Is that because I mentioned how I liked the ship as a whole, putting in a tiny bit about the hair salon?

I get the feeling fairly new cruisers (3 done, 1 booked) aren't accredited to comment. Let's get over that stigma right away!

I booked my dining packages online but you can't book dining times until the day. Took about 10 minutes so no great loss. I don't dash about too much after a flight, as I'm disabled so it's a relief to have made it to the ship, full stop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would I be after an argument for the sake of it?!

Although, I see you were the first to comment!

What particularly, did you like about the Spirit (in comparison to other cruises you'd done) you didn't say why you liked it.

Largely off topic. Is that because I mentioned how I liked the ship as a whole, putting in a tiny bit about the hair salon?

I get the feeling fairly new cruisers (3 done, 1 booked) aren't accredited to comment. Let's get over that stigma right away!

I booked my dining packages online but you can't book dining times until the day. Took about 10 minutes so no great loss. I don't dash about too much after a flight, as I'm disabled so it's a relief to have made it to the ship, full stop!

I said that much of your post was off topic as this is a thread about the food quality in the MDR. Much of what you wrote was about other subjects. No biggie.

As for booking dining, you certainly can do it online. Not Teppenyaki on the Spirit, but all of the others would have been available to you. If you are on the Bliss next year then you should be able to book your meals 90 days out online. Of course it is up to you whether you do so or not, but I thought I'd mention it to you.

I'm certainly not after an argument. I was just puzzled by the part of your post I quoted earlier. You wrote a reasonable review, with absolutely nothing I could see that would cause any offence and then your "go for it!" comment seemed really odd.

New cruisers are very welcome (certainly to me anyway). I can see why some people are wary as they can get a hostile reception on here. I'd like to think I'm not one who joins in with the criticism that they often get.

I won't write up about the Spirit on this thread, as it would be way off topic. There are a couple of live reports I've done from the ship on these boards if you are really interested though.

You do realize that you can book specialty dining 90 days out from your cruise if in a non-suite and 100 days out if you are in a suite. If you book ahead, no need to do it the first day.

We were unable to book times of dining until on the ship. On My NCL.com there was not that facility.

The Speciality dining package, spa treatments, water package (had free UBP & 8SDP) we bought online, but times of sitting was not available to us on the UK website.

Will let you know 100 days before sailing next May, if it will allow.

We were unable to book times of dining until on the ship. On My NCL.com there was not that facility.

The Speciality dining package, spa treatments, water package (had free UBP & 8SDP) we bought online, but times of sitting was not available to us on the UK website.

Will let you know 100 days before sailing next May, if it will allow.

I'm in the UK and I've been booking meals online, with or without the SDP, for years now.

On the Gem last month found the MDR food to generally be pretty good, sometimes surprisingly good.

Even though one night they tried to pass off tilapia for a hake filet. I complained and they brought out something that was actually hake, but didn't taste fresh at all.

But they also served some lovely salmon and grouper, along with one of the best roast beefs I've ever had.

I'm in the UK and I've been booking meals online, with or without the SDP, for years now.

Meals (packages or individual meal time sittings?).

I'd be shocked if you did the times online, as was told by NCL on the phone and online nowhere facilitated the dining times.

I'd be shocked if you did the times online, as was told by NCL on the phone and online nowhere facilitated the dining times.

It may not be available for all of the ships, but for the Epic and newer ships, you can make dinner reservations for a specific time at most dining venues, even the MDRs, using the My NCL section of the website 90 days out from the sailing (100 if you have a suite/haven).

It may not be available for all of the ships, but for the Epic and newer ships, you can make dinner reservations for a specific time at most dining venues, even the MDRs, using the My NCL section of the website 90 days out from the sailing (100 if you have a suite/haven).
It is available on all ships. I cruise on the smaller older ships and I've always been able to book whatever time I want, with the exception of the Teppanyaki restaurant on the Dawn, because of limited seating on that ship. I recently booked all my reservation for my December Pearl cruise - 7:00pm at all the restaurants online, so I'm not sure where that poster is getting his information, but hopefully this new information will help him.

It is available on all ships. I cruise on the smaller older ships and I've always been able to book whatever time I want, with the exception of the Teppanyaki restaurant on the Dawn, because of limited seating on that ship. I recently booked all my reservation for my December Pearl cruise - 7:00pm at all the restaurants online, so I'm not sure where that poster is getting his information, but hopefully this new information will help him.

On the UK website? I hope so! [emoji53]

Individual meal times. To prove the point I can confirm that Teppenyaki can't be booked online on the Spirit. The others, including MDRs all can.

I made the bookings online for the Spirit this Easter, as well as the Jade, which we got off recently. And every other cruise for the past few years.

Don't take what you are told by NCL phone staff as gospel. The incorrect information that they give out is unbelievable, to be honest. Although this one does surprise me. Online restaurant bookings have been available for years now.

Individual meal times. To prove the point I can confirm that Teppenyaki can't be booked online on the Spirit. The others, including MDRs all can.

I made the bookings online for the Spirit this Easter, as well as the Jade, which we got off recently. And every other cruise for the past few years.

Don't take what you are told by NCL phone staff as gospel. The incorrect information that they give out is unbelievable, to be honest. Although this one does surprise me. Online restaurant bookings have been available for years now.

Bit peeved, but it only took a few mins so was all done once I'd read the up-to-date menu's for that ship.

Thanks for the info. I've got the heads up for next time, although am sure the Bliss will have it under their belts. [emoji4]

Bit peeved, but it only took a few mins so was all done once I'd read the up-to-date menu's for that ship.

Thanks for the info. I've got the heads up for next time, although am sure the Bliss will have it under their belts. [emoji4]

One consolation is that you would have had to go to the desk to book Teppenyaki on the Spirit anyway, so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.

Bliss will be fine though.

On the UK website? I hope so! [emoji53]
Keith Jenner has said he makes his reservations and he is on the UK webiste. I'm sure you just didn't see it. At 100 days, log into NCL website, go to view your reservation, go to explore and plan, hit the dining tab on the left and scroll down to the restaurant you want to reserve. It is easy!!

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I asked on the telephone with NCL and they confirmed that I can't.

Either they were misinformed or one thought I did have, is that the Spirit was in dock for "refurbishment" just before we sailed. Maybe that was the reason. No worries, will know for next time. [emoji1303]

Just got back from our amazing fantastic 11 day cruise on the Spirit. We went to specialty restaurants for 5 nights and to MDR/Shogun for the rest. While the specialty dining food was excellent, we frequently had problems with the quality of the food in the complimentary dining.

This is in stark contrast with my last cruise on the Jade in 2012 where the complimentary dining was excellent. Is the food going downhill on NCL in general or is this just the Spirit or was this a fluke? My family is discussing another cruise and we are all worried this will be a trend.

I cruised June/July on her and found the MDR much improved from the previous year. Think it was a fluke.

I always chose Windows when over the Garden.

This past trip on the Gem was the first time ever we ate in the MDR. All our other cruises we ate at the specialty restaurants or the buffet. We were with family and wanted to know that we had a nice table for all of us which is not sometimes available in the buffet and the costs add up if going to the specialty restaurants.

We were impressed!! The food was excellent and the service was fast. This was at the 6 p.m. time slot so I guess the food was fresh and they were moving things along to make room for other guests. Highly recommend.

..... just amazing to see those first days like people have never seen food before - piles of it like you wont get to eat for 7 more days.

I find the same thing with the ultimate beverage package... the first couple of days on the ship is a lot more booze-fueled than at the end.

I have no problems at all with the quality of the food in the MDR. I actually think that NCL is in the top among the mainstream lines regarding MDR food. On the other hand, in my mind the whole experience is lacking in the MDR on NCL. No really peronal service and very rushed.

We usually eat about half of our dinners in the MDR, and haft in speliality restaurants. While I think the food quality is above avarage in the MDR on NCL, I think the speciality restaurants are overrated, food wise. Nothing that really stands out. We often go there for the quietness och the calm and the more personal service.

I've not cruised yet with NCL (my first one is upcoming next August)

I may not have cruised yet with NCL but over the years have been with Orient Line, P & O, Cunard, Azamara and Holland America, so have some experience, from inside through to Club Balcony, (though not as much as many on these boards). The boards for each line seem to carry similar comments and criticisms about food and MDRs/buffets.

I have no problems at all with the quality of the food in the MDR. I actually think that NCL is in the top among the mainstream lines regarding MDR food. On the other hand, in my mind the whole experience is lacking in the MDR on NCL. No really peronal service and very rushed.

We usually eat about half of our dinners in the MDR, and haft in speliality restaurants. While I think the food quality is above avarage in the MDR on NCL, I think the speciality restaurants are overrated, food wise. Nothing that really stands out. We often go there for the quietness och the calm and the more personal service.

Roxette, very well put. I agree with all said. What did you think of La Trattoria? I thought it weird on the Spirit, alongside the buffet, with an opaque glass window dividing the two, which started about a foot off the ground, so you could hear the noise from the buffet!