anyone else a tequila connoisseur

rp23g7

Anybody....Anyone...? So after a few cruises instead of doing the tourist thing we have been branching out on our own, and have found some really neat places that a lot of tourists never go.

A few yrs ago we were in Puerto Vallarta, and our cab driver told us about a private tequila tasting place outside of El Tuito. Neat place, awesome tequila, I had some called Raicilla Matona made by Republic. SMOOOOOOOOOTH, great tequila I didn't buy any then.

Was told that they don't export it, by several people, Gringos want Jose Cuervo, and I have never seen it before, and if you google it, there is really no info on buying it in the states

Last year we went back to Puerto Vallarta and went there again, bought a bottle, but had to leave it on the ship due to a medical issue we had .

We are going to be in Cozumel and Costa Maya in a few weeks, wondering if anyone has seen this tequila there.

DSCN0806.jpg

Thanks for sharing as I learned something! According to this link: http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_facts/raicilla.php,

Racilla really isn't tequila. Also, given the distribution systems in Mexico, I wouldn't expect any local PV products in Quintana Roo. However, it is possible that you'll find something similarly local in Cozumel. Don't hold your breath in Puerto Maya as this has to be about the worst port stop I have ever been on. Enjoy your trip and keep on enjoying your Tequila!

Disclosure - I am not a connoisser of fine tequilla, but I know enough to drink something that is 100% agave. Anything less (e.g., Jose Cuervo Gold/Silver) will be full of cheap cana distilled from sugar cane.

In previous day job, my boss and I traveled to places like Saltillo and Monterry as part of our work, which allowed him to build his tequila collection like some buy wine and got me interested in through exposure. I really enjoyed El Jimador, at least it was the best I could afford at the time. I've never looked for tastings as it isn't something DW would be into. However I found the liquor store at the port has a few decent choices, although the prices aren't the best. Better deals and selection might be found by asking at the ports of call, or even a bit of googling.

Thanks for sharing as I learned something! According to this link: http://www.puertovallarta.net/fast_facts/raicilla.php,

Racilla really isn't tequila. Also, given the distribution systems in Mexico, I wouldn't expect any local PV products in Quintana Roo. However, it is possible that you'll find something similarly local in Cozumel. Don't hold your breath in Puerto Maya as this has to be about the worst port stop I have ever been on. Enjoy your trip and keep on enjoying your Tequila!

Disclosure - I am not a connoisser of fine tequilla, but I know enough to drink something that is 100% agave. Anything less (e.g., Jose Cuervo Gold/Silver) will be full of cheap cana distilled from sugar cane.

true never bought anything less than 100% after our first tasting trip a while ago, we went to Mama Lucia"s and had no idea there was so many different tequilas.

On that last trip the taxi driver said he would lake us some where special, we got there and I asked for something you could only get there, the guy smiles and says, "Oh my friend you know what you want" He brings out the Raicilla and says "this is like your Everclear" Yuck, EverClear is nasty, he says "oh no my friend you will love this" try it. Best friggen drink ever, smooth, but it sneaks up on you. 3 shots was enough for me.

bought a few bottles but we had a medical issue and had to fly home from Puerto Vallarta, but that's another story, some crew member got some good tequila.

On that last trip the taxi driver said he would lake us some where special, we got there and I asked for something you could only get there, the guy smiles and says, "Oh my friend you know what you want" He brings out the Raicilla and says "this is like your Everclear" Yuck, EverClear is nasty, he says "oh no my friend you will love this" try it. Best friggen drink ever, smooth, but it sneaks up on you. 3 shots was enough for me.

That would have been my initial reaction as well.