Booking Through NCL Directly

Cruisingfor40

Hello. I've already gone on a NCL cruise in January, my first. And now I am going on one in October. It wasn't planned to go again so soon, it just happened. Both times, I just called NCL and booked the cruise. I didn't use the consultant that was emailing me to use them and I didn't use a travel agent. Is there an advantage of using a travel agent over calling NCL directly? If so, I probably don't want to know if I could have saved a ton, ha! But was curious of the people I see that always mention a TA, are they folks that are always cruising, and that is just what they know. Like they have been using TAs from back in the day before the online world hit?

Again, this won't change anything for me now. But should we go on another in the future, still can't believe we are doing two in one year, I wonder if I should look into another option than just calling NCL.

Thanks!

TAs will sometimes offer extra OBC, or perks. Sometimes you can get a better price if they've booked a block of rooms as a discount. We were on one of the Star cruises earlier this year that was cancelled, and it was very helpful to have a TA fighting with us to get some of the issues straightened out.

Ncl mandates that no travel agent can advertise a price cheaper than theirs. That doesn't mean you can't get a better deal. Many agents offer you perks on top of NCL perks. Usually an onboard credit or free insurance or pre paid tips.

I have two 7 day cruises booked this month - one with an agent who gave me an onboard credit and for the other, the agent had an "affinity group" set up (basically they buy a block of rooms and get perks that they can use them selves or share with cruisers). They gave me the UBP free including gratuity and free prepaid tips. That plus my CruiseNext certificate took the cruise to practically free ;)

You have 60 days after booking a cruise with NCL, to transfer it to another cruise agency. Contact several cruise agencies, tell them what you have booked with NCL, and ask if they can add any extras on to your NCL Deal. You may be surprised what some will offer you to transfer it to them. They will also help you with the transfer request. It has to be done within 60 days of the original booking with NCL, and you can only transfer your booking 1 time. NCL will not bother to match any of their offers. We transferred our last 3 cruises originally booked with NCL, and got a much better deal each time.

I routinely call NCL to start the booking process, and then transfer my reservation to my TA. Whatever perks you get from NCL when you book will go with your reservation. The reason I transfer over to a TA are the perks they offer in addition to what NCL is offering.

But trust is also important....not all TA are equal. Get one that has been doing it for some time, because they are worth it in $, and service/support.

Personally, I prefer to book directly (phone or website). You might get a perk from the TA, but it is not worth it to me to lose the control of the process. If I want to make a payment, I want to pull up the website and do it myself. If the price drops, I want to call the cruise line myself... etc. etc...

Also, be sure to check the TA's extra costs. We used an online TA associated with a hotel rewards program in order to get a lot of extra points, plus a $0 deposit. But we had to pay a $25 service fee, and had to pay them $200 to cover what they paid for the deposit about 1 month before final payment was due. In addition, if we had to cancel before final payment, they would have hit me with a $200 cancellation fee.

Ncl mandates that no travel agent can advertise a price cheaper than theirs. That doesn't mean you can't get a better deal. Many agents offer you perks on top of NCL perks. Usually an onboard credit or free insurance or pre paid tips.

I have two 7 day cruises booked this month - one with an agent who gave me an onboard credit and for the other, the agent had an "affinity group" set up (basically they buy a block of rooms and get perks that they can use them selves or share with cruisers). They gave me the UBP free including gratuity and free prepaid tips. That plus my CruiseNext certificate took the cruise to practically free ;)

What agent did you use for free tips?

I have found no significant difference between using a TA, PCC or booking directly.

Really?

I have always found booking to be more $$$ going thru NCL. Our next cruise is a 14 day on the BA in February. The price going thru NCL would have been a little more than $5500 (Spa Balcony) with the beverage and dining plan and $100 OBC. Going thru a well known travel company with the same cabin, same perks.....$4635 and $250 OBC and yes they are part of the upgrade system.

Whether or not they "Advertise" a lower price.....I tell them what I want and they send me a quote. Its always lower

Those who don't use the services of a TA, or at the very least a PCC at NCL to book, are living in ignorant bliss:D I know, cause I used to be one of them. I don't know if it still holds true, but at one time, certain Promos could not be combined when booking on the website, but a savvy PCC could. They have cut through red tape in getting a 50% cruise credit applied, something that would have taken me literally hours on hold with Guest Relations to accomplish. So to those who want to make those calls themselves in order to have "control", be my guest. I consider the fact that the TA must go to bat for you with NCL to be a big benefit, not a negative. Who do you think has more leverage, the TA who sends the cruiseline $$$$$ in bookings, or Joe Schmoe? They recently got us a free upgrade. Would I have had the same luck?

GreaseDJ hit the nail on the head. Find a TA who offers group or affinity space. The cruise fare is generally lower, and you get everything NCL offers, PLUS. The pluses recently have been offering the NCL Promos to Inside cabins at a time when NCL restricted them to Ocean View and above. If the drinks package was selected, the TA paid the gratuity on it. Plus, they threw in the Daily Service charges and some OBC. This added up to several hundred $$ for us on a longer cruise.

We have done 3 cruises so far - 2 booked through NCL (used a PCC at NCL) and 1 through a TA. I have to say that the one through the TA was one of the most headache-inducing experiences ever. I like to retain control of my reservation, check for price drops and be able to call NCL directly to get additional price drops applied. This TA took forever to respond, her OBC never showed up during our cruise and there were a lot of other issues like unwillingness to check for price drops etc. Not all TAs are the same, but this experience make me very wary of booking through any TA, regardless of all the perks they seem to offer.

Hello. I've already gone on a NCL cruise in January, my first. And now I am going on one in October. It wasn't planned to go again so soon, it just happened. Both times, I just called NCL and booked the cruise. I didn't use the consultant that was emailing me to use them and I didn't use a travel agent. Is there an advantage of using a travel agent over calling NCL directly? If so, I probably don't want to know if I could have saved a ton, ha! But was curious of the people I see that always mention a TA, are they folks that are always cruising, and that is just what they know. Like they have been using TAs from back in the day before the online world hit?

Again, this won't change anything for me now. But should we go on another in the future, still can't believe we are doing two in one year, I wonder if I should look into another option than just calling NCL.

Thanks!

Occasionally, TAs will offer additional bonuses/perks (like extra OBC, a bottle of wine, pay your gratuities for you). Some know the ships really well and can help with choosing a cabin.

Those are the two main benefits to using a TA. I decided against it for my current cruise, and while my parents are giving me a guilt trip for not giving business to our family TA (my mom has become personal friends with her over the years), but honestly I found it quicker and easier to book and get things changed booking through NCL directly.

We always book directly with our PCC at NCL (also directly with flights and hotels). I like to be in control of our reservation and not deal with a middle man. We have never regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums