To Arrive early or not ! ! !

CoCoMoonGirl

Many departure ports have stuff to see and do, so treat the "day before" as part of your vacation. Then on departure day, sleep in, get to the ship around 11am, enjoy the free lunch on the ship, have a drink or two, and think about how much more relaxed you are than if had flown in today (the day of departure).

One more point: I think USA departures require you check in at least 90 minutes before ship departure time. So if your flight was delayed, even if you made it to the ship before departure time, you might be denied boarding if you arrive less than 90 minutes before departure.

What can possibly go wrong? Here's a thread from last year that may be of interest:

FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

:o:o

$11,000 gone all in one day? My God I would have hit the roof! And that is an EXCELLENT example why its important to get there early. I hope that the original inquirer is listening. The only cruise that I would arrive that day for is one that I know is only a few hours drive away so I know that I should make it. We have one out of Cape Liberty in 2019 which is about an 10 hour drive for us. We are dropping the kids with family about an hour and a half away from Cape Liberty but I can assure you that we will be in PA the day ahead of time that way we will not be stressing about traffic, or mechanical failure, or a flat tire. Not being pushy just giving you good sound advice. The final decision is yours, but please choose wisely. :D

Its not just weather or mechanical delays anymore. With flights flying full, there is a very real possibility of getting bumped as well. I have no idea how airlines determine who will be removed if no one volunteers but if you are like most of us that purchases the least expensive airline ticket, I have a feeling that puts us at the forefront..........

First off are non-rev passengers. Those flying on points or employee passes.

Then by fare basis, with exceptions for frequent flyer status.

So worst is a free ticket. Next worse is a low fare ticket and no airline status.

But most airlines are now offering VERY large amounts to keep from bumping people.

I fly a lot for work, mostly international (I am million miler on two different airlines).

MOST times, flights run on time or within reasonable proximity to the scheduled time.

BUT, there are times when things go WRONG.

Last year I had a trip that I missed EVERY connecting flight, even after missing a connecting flight and being rebooked on another itinerary with a new connecting flight.

Luckily my first stop was an overnight rest stop, as I got in 12 hours late, and my final destination did not have daily flights.

If you are interested, my first section was DC to JFK to Brussels. We pushed back from the gate on time, but ended up sitting for a 1 hour ground hold due to traffic into JFK. And then they gave us a reduced speed and circuitous route to further delay our arrival into JFK. About 10 of us missed out connection.

So they rebooked me JFK to Amsterdam to Brussels. No problem. Except when we got to Amsterdam, the flight to Brussels actually left an hour earlier than they thought in JFK. And this was not long after the Brussels airport bombing, so not a full schedule. So no more flights. It is Europe, so just take the train.

But, due to track maintenance, the Amsterdam to Brussels trains were not running. So it was change trains in Rotterdam, with luggage in tow. OK, this will work. Only, the train got into Belgium, and broke at the first stop. So we had to transfer to a local train, make lots of stops, then change trains again in Antwerp.

Oh, and it took 2 hours in Amsterdam to find my luggage. They were not even sure if it was still at JFK or AMS, when it popped up on the carousel.

And the return to the US was about as bad. My first flight started be beign delayed 23 hours due to crew injuries, then an additional 2 hours due to maintenance issues. Oh, and on the return, I got back on Monday, my luggage got back the next Friday. :)

It rarely snows in the Seattle area but prior to our last 2 cruises...guess what? We live up a hill that is impassable (& impossible) to get off of when it does....thank heavens we had booked a hotel close to SeaTac for the night before our flight or we wouldn't have been on either cruise & we do fly in a day early just to be on the safe side.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11923227&ref=twitter

We fly in 8 days!

Hopefully arrive 6 days before our cruise, but if flights cancelled we won't be missing out too much on the start of our month long holiday.

So this week: Earthquake in Hawaii. Volcano action in Bali. And now Auckland is running out of fuel.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst (and most bizarre).