Typhoon Talim in Japan

rf413

Currently I am in Tokyo waiting to board my cruise - Diamond Princess on September 18, and I just received a email from Princess 2 days before my cruise saying due to Typhoon Talim our cruise has been delayed by one day.

Princess have offer 1 day refund of the cruise fare paid as refundable obc, also $100 USD as a refundable obc that we can use on the cruise.

Luckily we are able to extend our hotel room for an extra night.

We are kind of disappointed of the compensation that Princess have offered. I wonder if I have to accept their offer or I have other options or I can negotiate with Princess with something better.

Appreciate any advise I can get.

Currently I am in Tokyo waiting to board my cruise - Diamond Princess on September 18, and I just received a email from Princess 2 days before my cruise saying due to Typhoon Talim our cruise has been delayed by one day.

Princess have offer 1 day refund of the cruise fare paid as refundable obc, also $100 USD as a refundable obc that we can use on the cruise.

Luckily we are able to extend our hotel room for an extra night.

We are kind of disappointed of the compensation that Princess have offered. I wonder if I have to accept their offer or I have other options or I can negotiate with Princess with something better.

Appreciate any advise I can get.

IMO........

Don't count on any negotiations.

You are lucky that they offered anything.

Don't get so stressed out about this before your cruise starts that it affects your vacation.

Princess has no control over the weather and it's clearly spelled out in their terms that they can change the itinerary at any time and for any reason. This case being safety.

Bon Voyage and enjoy your cruise! :cool:

This does pose several interesting questions. We sail on the Diamond October 9th, with 3 days Pre Hotel through Princess, with Transfers from the hotel to the ship. In a case like this would Princess pay for an additional nights stay?

To the OP I feel bad for you but hope all goes well once you get on board the Diamond. I do agree that the amount of compensation is low especially if you are coming from another part of the world so you would not be arriving the day of the cruise but rather in advance. Cost of an additional night of hotel in Japan is not cheap.

Keep us posted on the rest of your cruise.

So would this be a situation where trip insurance might cover some expenses because of a trip delay?

Lucky u were informed, just think of the people that will not receive the info and show up at the port, with no where to go.

Edited by land lover

This does pose several interesting questions. We sail on the Diamond October 9th, with 3 days Pre Hotel through Princess, with Transfers from the hotel to the ship. In a case like this would Princess pay for an additional nights stay?

To the OP I feel bad for you but hope all goes well once you get on board the Diamond. I do agree that the amount of compensation is low especially if you are coming from another part of the world so you would not be arriving the day of the cruise but rather in advance. Cost of an additional night of hotel in Japan is not cheap.

Keep us posted on the rest of your cruise.

Princess is very good about taking care of those that have a pre hotel say or transfer from the airport when there is a delay, in my experience they covered the additional expenses.

But those that did not contract with Princess are on their own.

• 4 weeks later...

I got off the Diamond Princess cruise prior to you, which was delayed due to Talim. We stayed an extra day and a half in Busan, missed Kagoshima and arrived 1 day and 2 hours later than scheduled. We were compensated $150 for missing Kagoshima, and were kept largely in the dark about our ETA back to Yokohama- Advice of when we were to return by the Captain was delayed by over 24 hours and I was aware of this (I was monitoring a Facebook Japanese Ports of Call page which posted updates from the Yokohama Port Authority on ship movements in and out port on Diamonds expected return and berth booking.)

A lot of stuffing around and frantic phone calling had to be made to reschedule our flight home which we could not make. In the end we and missed a port, for which were were compensated $150 and were out of pocket $340 as our travel insurance only covered $200. I wouldn't complain.