Anthem 9/23 to Bermuda. Thoughts on impact of Tropical Storm/Hurricane Jose?

Doc2725

September 21, 2017 at 2 PM EDT (next update tomorrow at 2 PM EDT)

Our thoughts and prayers are with our neighbors in San Juan and the other affected islands as they rebuild after Hurricanes Irma and Maria.

To learn more about our humanitarian efforts, click here.

The following sailings are being modified due to Hurricane Irma:

Adventure of the Seas: September 23

Due to the uncertainty of the timing of the port re-opening in San Juan, we anticipate our new departure date will be Wednesday, September 27, sailing a 3-night itinerary to Antigua and St. Kitts.

We know these changes are disappointing, and we are truly sorry for the storm’s impact on your vacation. Should you choose to sail with us we will provide you with a refund of 60% of your cruise fare paid in the form of a refundable onboard credit, and an additional 50% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year.

If you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit, for a cruise booked within the next year. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.

Anthem of the Seas: September 23

Due to the forecasted track of Hurricane Maria, we will be modifying Anthem’s upcoming itinerary and replacing our call in Bermuda with calls on Portland, Maine and Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation. Given the change to this sailing, we will be adding a 50% refund of your cruise fare to your onboard account in the form of a refundable onboard credit. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i am ambivalent to this....really wanted 80 and beaches, not mid 60s and rain (what shows up for Halifax most of next week). The refund is nice, but still a bummer.

does anyone know when they will update the actual days we are where we are? on cruise planner, it still shows bermuda.

Also, my other concern is, what happened to "if we go north, we'd sail back through whats left of Maria". im guessing they are hoping/thinking she goes more out to sea by then and we have a smooth ride home, but if we lost Bermuda AND come back through that? half off will be little consolation. would be the second cruise we've been on where we'd come back skirting a hurricane (first was bermuda in november of 09 i believe).

Our local news (Boston area) is saying that the jetstream is looking like it will push Maria farther east than what they had previously predicted. If that is the case, Maria will be farther out to sea when you guys are coming down from Canada.

Still a week away, so will probably change twenty more times by then.

I checked the port schedules.

We are the only ship scheduled to go into both Portland and Halifax, so that is good. They are "opening" up the cruise ship terminals in both ports, very kind of the employees who will agree to work. It looks like no tendering in Portland, Anthem has a "dedicated" berth there, wonderful, it's a fairly new dock. (I checked because I believe we tendered about 15 years ago, but I could be dreaming.)

Busy switching out some clothes and unpacking the beach bag. :loudcry:

• 5 months later...

Bumping this thread to the top. Would be interested in hearing from those affected and how the altered itinerary went. I live in Canada, although not east coast, so would prefer Bermuda but with 50% credit I suppose it may be worth the gamble for Sept 2018. I'd like to make a decision and get our trip booked. I'm a scardy-pants about it but love the NY port (drive for us from /ontario) and want to try Anthem.

Another question for those affected last year: was anyone able to cancel (didn't want to go to Canada/colder climate) for a 100% future cruise credit? I'd be tempted to do that - but didn't see that in RCI's write up above.

The weather in each port was amazing! Locals noting it was unusually warm to hot. This was also thanks to the storm.

Departure day had amazing weather, but the first sea day was fog....fog....and more fog....all day long. Then fog every night...all night long. Was my first experience with fog on a cruise.

Last sea day and evening had some rough seas. I've never had a problem with rough seas....but some did.

I loved Anthem, so for me, I'd book it again without hesitation. Most made the best of it with the amazing port weather helping to take the edge off the disappointment of missing Bermuda. I spoke to others who said they wouldn't take the risk again.