NCL Bliss now cruising Sawyer Glacier?

jxtai

I saw the itinerary now including cruising Sawyer Glacier on their website? Anyone can confirm this ?

I can confirm that is what the web site says, however that is a location that is often missed because of ice.

The Bliss does not sail in Alaskan waters until May of 2018.

I was on The Jewel much smaller ship than The Bliss and we could not go into Sawyer Glacier because of the heavy ice. Do not know how The Bliss will manage in that very tight location.

The Bliss does not sail in Alaskan waters until May of 2018.

I was on The Jewel much smaller ship than The Bliss and we could not go into Sawyer Glacier because of the heavy ice. Do not know how The Bliss will manage in that very tight location.

The BLISS is about 100 feet longer than the Jewel but that is not so much the problem of maneuvering in

the narrow Tracy Arm fjord it is the amount of ice that must be displaced to turn the ship in the fjord.

Care must be taken to avoid ice flows from jamming the thruster intakes and the propellers - so thus with

that if there is a great deal of ice ships may not venture right up to the glacier but maybe only get a glimpse

or a peak of it.

When the Sawyer Glacier fjord is clogged up an alternative glacier is planned the Endicott/Dawes Glacier.

From what I have read here at CC it is almost equally spectacular in viewing.

These glaciers are different from the Glacier Bay glaciers in that you transit a narrow fjord up to the glacier

whereas others your ship is in open water and viewing the wide glacier moraine calving off into the ocean.

One advantage the BLISS will have is the extra height to view the glacier from multiple levels.