Passport or no Passport?

tsb

This is not true!!! You would be admitted back into the U.S. just like you get back into the U.S. off a cruise ship. Right now a birth certificate will do.
It depends on the country you're in. If you're in Isla Margarita, for instance, I would imagine it would be very difficult to fly to Caracas and from there to the U.S. without a passport.

If you have a family emergency, that's one more thing to worry about. Why chance it?

I understand that the cost of a passport may be high (especially for a family) but if you wait, the price will only increase. Especially when this becomes mandatory. I got a passport in Feb 2005 and it was around $95/$100, something like that for me and my hubby. Last year it was cheaper but since I waited it cost me an extra $20 bucks a passport. Just remember it won't get cheaper. Maybe it is $500 now for a family of 5 but next year it may be $600. You never know.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name=tequilasunrise

Btw, interesting enough, as a US citizen----on any of our trips the country which was most diligent about asking for them was actually Canada, of all places. No one in the Carribean asked for them, but we did show them at customs in the US when we returned.

Have a great trip!![/quote]

No, it doesn't surprise me at all. I live in Maine and the 9-1-1 terrorists came into this country from Canada via Maine, a source of great embarrassment for our border guards, although they shouldn't, IMHO , feel that way. Ever since then, security at the borders have been very strict. The advice I always give visitors is that border guards take their jobs very seriously and have little sense of humor, so don't be a wiseass and joke about having guns, bombs, etc. . Otherwise, you are apt to spend an extra hour at the gate while they strip-search you and your car.

No, it doesn't surprise me at all. I live in Maine and the 9-1-1 terrorists came into this country from Canada via Maine, a source of great embarrassment for our border guards.....

That is urban myth....see the following...

Did any of the September 11 terrorists sneak into the United States from Canada or Mexico?

No. The INS has concluded that all 19 of the hijackers entered the United States on legal visas, although three had visas that had expired. For years, experts have discussed an “entry-exit” system that would track foreigners and identify those who overstay their visas. Congress has mandated such a system, but it is years away from being implemented. At present, the INS does not have much staff to devote to removing even those known to have overstayed their visas.

ndjollymon, I hate to tell you, but Hawaii is a state, you don't need a passport, of course unless you're in ND and are really Canadian, but then you would have a passport anyway, wouldn't you?

Perhaps you should read my post a little closer.

"New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Frequently Asked Questions about the New Travel Document Requirements

What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

Who will the Travel Initiative affect?

The travel document initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere, who will now be required to carry a passport or other accepted document.

It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States namely most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and Mexican citizens.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I thought there was an additional phase to be implemented on December 31, 2005. Is this a change?

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements."

Not getting a passport at this time is like not taking out cruise insurance. It may not be necessary or required but if something happens and you need it, you'll be SOL. I think traveling outside the U.S. without a passport is taking a big risk.

Just to add to this post above.

IF you are stuck on a foreign country for some unforeseen reason, the passport is like a 'go to the head of the line' ticket'. Honestly, why balk at the cost of a passport versus the several hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars for your trip back home. Remember, last minute flights, hotels etc..... cost lots more than 'pre-planned' vacations do.

I was almost stuck in Trinidad because of the taxi driver (not arranged through the ship) being late. Luckily, others were late and the ship held. I would have been in the country with just my ship card and some US dollars! Holy cow! I couldn't have gotten far with just that! If I had brought my passport and just the cash, it would have been better for me if I had missed the boat.

The bottom line is this, if you want to play Russian Roulette, go for it. If you don't feel so lucky, get the passport and be done with it.

I think that so many people feel 'it won't happen to them' that they just won't get the passport. All I can say is, don't complain when you are denied boarding your cruise, don't complain when you miss the boat from your shore excursion and don't have what it takes to get to the next port or to the US. Don't complain when the US consulate in the country you are in doesn't accept your ships photo card. Oh, and don't complain when they charge you an arm and a leg to get the proper ID to get home. Its your own fault for having to pay all of those extra fees. Not to mention all of the fun and entertainment you would have received on the ship!

So, with that I say, enjoy your cruise if you think it 'can't happen to you'.

Michelle

We (family of 4) went on our first cruise in April 2005 & decided in October 2004 that we would get passports for all four of us. My twin daughters were four at the time and I figured that even though it is only good for five years, they don't have to go through any type of "clearance" and "security" checks again, other than when they have their passports renewed. So if my kids behave themselves like good citizens should, they are set for life.

Another thing to consider is that some of the cruise lines are going to require them as the year end gets closer. We (family of 20) are traveling on Princess at the end of 2006 and non-passport owning family members have been told by the TA that they will be required to have them.

Just a thought.

P.S. spongerob--yes some of us do read the stuff at the bottom!!!

Get a passport - spend the money. Requirements in the Caribbean are changing as we speak. One thing also to remember is that you will not have trouble using a birth certificate in most cases if you remain with the ship. But if you have an accident and have to stay in a port - you will have a nightmare getting out. This happened to us in Mexico - we ended up spending a TON of money just trying to pay the right people to get out of the country. Of course everyone had their hand out for money and very few of them actually pay for what we needed. Foreign ports are strange - so take the cheap precaution.

Another reason for a passport - you may have an opportunity to travel really cheaply if you can leave right away. We had a 7 day trip to Scotland come up for $399 per person - all inclusive - but he had to leave in a week. We were glad we had the passport!

Something to remember on birth certificates. A birth certificate lists your birth name, so when you are married your name on the birth certificate might be different than say on your drivers license, so now you must carry a copy of the Marriage license. Just a thought.

Dennis

My family all have passports an I believe in them... but the only true non-cruise line or non-US place you're going is St. Marten. You're not going to have to show documents except embarking and disembarking...

Post 9/11 the only REAL entry-exit scandal was that the Saudi terrorists co-nationals (including Bin Laden family members) were allowed to fly cross country during our national airspace lock down and dee-dee out of the country unimpeded with W's blessings... where is Osama anyway?

Assuming this is a Caribbean cruise, unless you need to travel in the near future after the end of 2006, as said earlier, save your money. We cruised for the last 4 years with only BC's and took 8 grandchildren on a cruise with only BC's. Passports are nice but not as necessary as the passport yelots will tell you.

1) You need to show the BC's essentially once at check-in.

2) People saying you need a picture ID for young children are wrong!

3) Should you have to leave the ship for illness reasons you will be allowed to get home without a passport. The cruise line agent in that country will assist. Now, should you miss the ship departure in a port, you may have a problem.

4) We have never embarked or disembarked any slower because we did not have a passport.

Check with the cruise line or TA to verify what you need.

Have a great tiem.

Don't let anyone scare you into getting a passport if you don't need one. As stated before, you will have to have one beginning December 31, 2006, but until then you will not have a problem with picture id and certified copy of birth certificate. This must be a copy with the raised seal not an original or hospital copy. Minors under 18 don't even need the photo id but it's easier if they have one.

Something to remember on birth certificates. A birth certificate lists your birth name, so when you are married your name on the birth certificate might be different than say on your drivers license, so now you must carry a copy of the Marriage license. Just a thought.

Dennis

All the times we have traveled with a BC we never carried our marriage license and were never asked for it and we never saw anyone else asked or do we know personally of anyone else that was asked(except for a few reports here). Further, on our family reunion cruise our two daughter-in-laws were not asked either. I think this one is an urban legend just like picture ID's for kids and you get through the line faster with a passport. Now, does it hurt to bring the marriage license if you have it, no, but unless told by the cruise line that you need it, I wouldn't stand on my head to get a copy.

P.S. We have passports now but only because we had to have them for South America earlier this year.

Well Surfklutz, it seems that the advice given by many on these boards to "keep those passports locked up in the safe on the ship" is really not good advice. I agree, the passport is the best international ID there is. Therefore, we always take them ashore.

If it gets stolen, I'll get another one. Locked in the safe while I'm stuck at the police station in Mexico after the ship has sailed will be kind of worthless.

And contrary to the previous post, there is often two lines when the ship gets back to the States, the one with passports moves much quicker. Come next year, it will be a moot point.

On 10 cruises I have never seen a "seperate" line for passports. I had a passport for my last 2 cruises and can honestly say I saw NO difference between a BC/Drivers license and passport as far as time spent in any line.

I also have NEVER been asked for a marriage license, and yes my last name is different from my BC. :)

I think this one is an urban legend just like picture ID's for kids and you get through the line faster with a passport. Now, does it hurt to bring the marriage license if you have it, no, but unless told by the cruise line that you need it, I wouldn't stand on my head to get a copy.
I agree. You DON"T have to provide a marriage license in order to get a passport, so why would you 'need' one when cruising with a birth certificate?

There may be some rare exceptions, but the only unusual instances I have heard about are extremely high threat levels (red) at that particular port (happened right after 9/11) or cases where the normal documents show some complex name changes involving first names.

On the Explorer of the Seas two years ago there was a "passport/no passport" line in the terminal when disembarking in Miami. We were able to bypass a long line. On most other cruises, there was no different lines and too bad if you got stuck behind someone with birth certificates. But then again, what's the hurrry? I just don't have the patience to stand in line behind someone who's searching through the carry-ons, bags, ticket folders and purses looking for those birth certificates. The passport fits nicely in your pocket ready to present.

Since we are fortunate to always drive to the port, when the cruise is over, we are ready to get out, get in the car, and head home, especially if we have a 5 hour drive ahead of us.

Where you need a "photo ID" the name on the drivers license will not be matching the name on your maiden name birth certificate. Could be a problem these days, prior to 9/11 my wife never had a problem, now she has a passport.

Archived