Last minute cancel due to Hurricane Irma

MTnesters2014

Travelex has performed well for us, though I don't know if they'd compensate for a cruise itinerary change. We had a huge claim a couple of years ago while on am 87-night Grand Voyage - DH's mom passed away the day we were in Singapore early in the trip. Travelex covered our flight from there back to the US for the funeral, plus the pro-rated cruise cost for the 10 days we were off the ship and return flight to meet up with the ship in Cochin. Around $25000 IIRC. This was less expensive for them than just sending us home and then paying the balance of the unused portion of the cruise as would normally be the case, and DH knew his Mom would have wanted us to continue our trip anyway rather than go home and mope.

We use the trip insurance company recommended by our TA: CSA. This is one of the few companies that offer policies for which pre-existing conditions are waived if the insurance is taken out on or before (or slightly after) final payment. Most insurance waives pre-existing conditions only if the insurance is taken out within a few days after initial payment.

I have used Travelex, Travelguard, and CSA; never an issue with any of them. On our last cruise my wife had medical bills. I had to file first with my medical insurance company so that they could reject then file with Travelguard. Within one week of filling in paperwork online (inclusding scanned copies of medical bill and EOB from medical insurance company) I had check in hand.

Next cruise I am using Nationwide; will be interesting to see if they pay off for any itinerary changes as it states in policy.

Marc

As I just posted on another thread, I agree that people should have insurance. However, if a cruise line is able to fill a cancelled suite (that is within the penalty phase), the people that cancelled should receive a future cruise credit. it is horrible to think that any cruise line would be able to receive double the amount of the fare for that suite due to a person's tragedy!

As I just posted on another thread, I agree that people should have insurance. However, if a cruise line is able to fill a cancelled suite (that is within the penalty phase), the people that cancelled should receive a future cruise credit. it is horrible to think that any cruise line would be able to receive double the amount of the fare for that suite due to a person's tragedy!

TC - while I agree with you on the morality issue that the cruise lines are falling down the bottom line is you are a fool not to take out Travel Insurance.