New elevator system - just installed on the Vista

Domergirl

I didn't include this in my quick review, because I think it merits its own discussion. I imagine this will be a slow starter, but as more people experience them...more may post!!!

While we were on the Vista on the September 17 sailing they installed a new elevator system (so far it was the Forward elevators only). I've seen these elevator systems in hotels - and I hated them there, too! They way they work is there is a keypad in the elevator area. You press your destination floor, and it tells you which elevator will take you there. So let's say I'm on 4 and I'm heading to 10. I select "10 Lido" on the keypad, and it tells me, "Elevator S". Then I go stand by elevator S. But S might also be going to 6, 7, 8,and 10, etc. And it doesn't know if I'm one person, or 8 people. I found it HORRIBLY annoying...never more so than when getting back on board in Cozumel.

When you're on the elevator, it shows you which floors you'll be stopping at...but if you change your mind, you're out of luck...no floor buttons to press. I know they think this is going to speed things up...but in my experience...it did not. Not a fan.

I get it....I'm being resistant to change...and I accept that. And maybe it works at hotels. But I didn't like it on the Vista. They installed it midway through the cruise, so what I saw were a lot of confused people doing things like pushing one floor, then being told by someone in their party that they'd pressed the wrong floor. So they'd press again for the right floor. So now the elevator has additional unnecessary stops programmed. I also saw people (not just kids) purposely press all floors. Again...maybe it's because it was new. Tennessee Tater was on my cruise and liked it...so maybe most people will, too. I was not the only "hater" on the cruise, though! In a world where people lose their minds over tablecloths (NOT me)...I have a feeling this will be a hot topic once it spreads.

I do think it has potential for speeding things up...and if it does, once people figure out where they're going...I'm all for it!!!

I get it....I'm being resistant to change...and I accept that. And maybe it works at hotels. But I didn't like it on the Vista. They installed it midway through the cruise, so what I saw were a lot of confused people doing things like pushing one floor, then being told by someone in their party that they'd pressed the wrong floor. So they'd press again for the right floor. So now the elevator has additional unnecessary stops programmed. I also saw people (not just kids) purposely press all floors. Again...maybe it's because it was new. Tennessee Tater was on my cruise and liked it...so maybe most people will, too. I was not the only "hater" on the cruise, though! In a world where people lose their minds over tablecloths (NOT me)...I have a feeling this will be a hot topic once it spreads.

I do think it has potential for speeding things up...and if it does, once people figure out where they're going...I'm all for it!!!

People press the wrong buttons in the elevator as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Believe me - I'm not one who complains about Carnival's changes. I'm much more in the "cheerleader" camp. And I get that it should make elevator waits better. But it seems there are only two of us who've actually seen the new system, in use, on a ship. One liked it - one didn't. I anticipate that opinions will remain very split.

Believe me - I'm not one who complains about Carnival's changes. I'm much more in the "cheerleader" camp. And I get that it should make elevator waits better. But it seems there are only two of us who've actually seen the new system, in use, on a ship. One liked it - one didn't. I anticipate that opinions will remain very split.

I'll have to see if I can find the post from earlier in the year. I think it was right after my Vista cruise in March. I seem to remember something about iPads and selecting your floor ahead of time. They didn't like it either from what I recall.

That's interesting - because this one was installed mid cruise, but forward elevators only. (They sent us all a letter). It sounds like maybe they're running pilots, and learning as they go - which is a good way to do it!

That's interesting - because this one was installed mid cruise, but forward elevators only. (They sent us all a letter). It sounds like maybe they're running pilots, and learning as they go - which is a good way to do it!

This is the only one I could find, but I know there was another one. Anyway, I wonder why they would remove it and then reinstall? I hate elevators anyway and might be a little leery of some iPads outside it determining where I go. Never experienced this system, so it sounds a little scary to me.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2504345

In all my years of traveling on cruise ships or staying at a hotel or going into an office building and using an elevator, I never once even thought about how many floors an elevator stopped at before I got off. It was just part of riding in an elevator. Life's too short to worry about minor things like that for me. I've never been in that big of a hurry that a few extra stops made me late for anything.