Carnival Corporation is doing VERY well despite hurricanes etc.

riffatsea

Thank you for the link.

I guess we can expect lower earnings according to this "several temporary port closures associated with the storms led to voyage disruptions which are expected to result in an estimated $0.10 to $0.12 per share reduction in earnings in the fourth quarter."

Thank you for the link.

I guess we can expect lower earnings according to this "several temporary port closures associated with the storms led to voyage disruptions which are expected to result in an estimated $0.10 to $0.12 per share reduction in earnings in the fourth quarter."

Earnings yes, but that may not bleed over to the stock price in Q4. Usually those types of forward loss indicators are taken into account by the market when they are disclosed. So most of that loss has already been actualized by investors into the price today...

:D Can't imagine why any one would sell their shares because of the hurricane. The price per share may drop some in the short term but will come back in time. I don't think about the dividends I just get the $100. OBC with each cruise. $400. so far this year. Got to love it best return for a 5K investment.

Ya, now its only up 35% over the past 12 months....

This is in bull market that has seen 16% plus gains in that same time period. On a 10 year basis it lags the general market average with about 4.5% return versus the sp 500 average of 10%.

I am long carnival but I don’t want people to think/ expect that the stock will continue to go up like this when in fact it has been a poor long term investment (and that doesn’t even take into account the risk of owning a single stock versus owning a diversified portfolio. )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is in bull market that has seen 16% plus gains in that same time period. On a 10 year basis it lags the general market average with about 4.5% return versus the sp 500 average of 10%.

I am long carnival but I don’t want people to think/ expect that the stock will continue to go up like this when in fact it has been a poor long term investment (and that doesn’t even take into account the risk of owning a single stock versus owning a diversified portfolio. )

I disagree with you saying its a poor long term stock. It depends when you bought it. If you look at a 10 year chart, yes it lags the S&P. I bought during the recession, and its been a great investment.

I think that the main point of this thread was: the companies financial well being going far beyond weather, and is much less influenced by hurricanes than people thing from a knee jerk reaction.

I disagree with you saying its a poor long term stock. It depends when you bought it. If you look at a 10 year chart, yes it lags the S&P. I bought during the recession, and its been a great investment.

I think that the main point of this thread was: the companies financial well being going far beyond weather, and is much less influenced by hurricanes than people thing from a knee jerk reaction.

I agree long term the hurricanes will have little impact on the stock. Although if there is a social media uproar over how carnival responds that might make things a little more shaky over the next couple of years. However we are father removed from the hurricanes where it doesn’t look like it will be an issue. Weird world where you have to account for social media- think “poop cruise” or even recently

The united airlines snafu.

Re: 10 year return the last recession started in 12/2017 almost exactly 10

Years ago so it is a relavent time frame of performance.

Stocks are stocks - they go up - they go down - If YOU are happy with your investments that's all that counts. I have stock in all 3 cruise companies - CCL, RCL, NCL. I've never been in NCL, only a couple on RCL and my majority of cruises are of course Carnival but still that have been good performers for ME. (I bought RCL and NCL right when Britex hit in 2016 and I don't think I've ever had a stock go back up so high in a year view.)

The OBC and the Dividends help of course and it's a great dividend stock to have - again as long as you are happy that's all that really counts.

Happy cruising!

I agree long term the hurricanes will have little impact on the stock. Although if there is a social media uproar over how carnival responds that might make things a little more shaky over the next couple of years. However we are father removed from the hurricanes where it doesn’t look like it will be an issue. Weird world where you have to account for social media- think “poop cruise” or even recently

The united airlines snafu.

Re: 10 year return the last recession started in 12/2017 almost exactly 10

Years ago so it is a relavent time frame of performance.

I agree with social media, and so often its inaccurate/overblown. I dont disagree with your time frame either. I think I bought in '09, so had to be close to the bottom. So my timetable is 8-ish years, but made alot of difference in the price for sure.

How the stock performs long term doesn't necessarily take into account the benefits of owning the stock over the same time frame. Considering reinvesting the dividends and the OBC offered by Carnival. There are some out there that sail enough they bought the stock for that reason. $500+/year in OBC?!?! Yes please.

If I would have had the cash to purchase when I booked my first cruise (October 2013), not only would I have doubled my investment in 4 years but would have had $500 in OBC plus any shared earnings. That's a huge win in the investment world.