moving the beds around in the cabin for extra floor space?

octcruise10

That may have been me, we've had to do it twice, once on Carnival's Elation and the other on HAL's something-dam.

I'll briefly explain...

My husband is a quadriplegic and uses an electric wheelchair. For our first cruise together we booked the Elation back in 1998 - the ship's 3rd sailing. We booked a fully accessible cabin, and when we got to the cabin, the layout was so poorly designed my H couldn't open or close the bathroom, or pass the beds. This would make for a verrrrry long week (especially the bathroom). He went down to the purser's desk and they sent the head of engineering to our cabin. My H showed the gentleman the issue(s) and he asked my H what a better layout would be. Within 15 minutes 2 ship workers in overalls and wearing tool belts were in our cabin and using electric screwdrivers (I assume they were drills) did some masterful handiwork. A few pieces of unneeded furniture were removed, beds were moved to a new configuration, and as there was nothing that could be done about the bathroom door...off it went! Two guys carrying it under their arms! (we still call that moment Lauel and Hardy remove a bathroom door on a cruise ship) Luckily I'm not shy around my H or THAT could have made for a verrrrryyyy looonnnnggg week!

The second on HAL, was similar, too much furniture and the beds in a configuration that allowed for zero turning of the wheelchair. Off he went to the purser's desk, engineers came up, zip, zip, zip, beds moved (now our feet faced the balcony door, which I loved!) extra furniture gone (bathroom door remained intact - whew!), and away we went!

Now, I'm not sure how often the ships have to deal with this kind of thing but I will say we were never looked at cross-eyed. and the engineering team certainly went out of their way to make it right for us.

YMMV

That may have been me, we've had to do it twice, once on Carnival's Elation and the other on HAL's something-dam.

I'll briefly explain...

My husband is a quadriplegic and uses an electric wheelchair. For our first cruise together we booked the Elation back in 1998 - the ship's 3rd sailing. We booked a fully accessible cabin, and when we got to the cabin, the layout was so poorly designed my H couldn't open or close the bathroom, or pass the beds. This would make for a verrrrry long week (especially the bathroom). He went down to the purser's desk and they sent the head of engineering to our cabin. My H showed the gentleman the issue(s) and he asked my H what a better layout would be. Within 15 minutes 2 ship workers in overalls and wearing tool belts were in our cabin and using electric screwdrivers (I assume they were drills) did some masterful handiwork. A few pieces of unneeded furniture were removed, beds were moved to a new configuration, and as there was nothing that could be done about the bathroom door...off it went! Two guys carrying it under their arms! (we still call that moment Lauel and Hardy remove a bathroom door on a cruise ship) Luckily I'm not shy around my H or THAT could have made for a verrrrryyyy looonnnnggg week!

The second on HAL, was similar, too much furniture and the beds in a configuration that allowed for zero turning of the wheelchair. Off he went to the purser's desk, engineers came up, zip, zip, zip, beds moved (now our feet faced the balcony door, which I loved!) extra furniture gone (bathroom door remained intact - whew!), and away we went!

Now, I'm not sure how often the ships have to deal with this kind of thing but I will say we were never looked at cross-eyed. and the engineering team certainly went out of their way to make it right for us.

YMMV

Thank you for this information. We are in a regular cabin but my mom will have her scooter with her. I seem to remeber that they layed the room out in a L shape with the two twim beds. This allowed for alot of floor room in the center of the room. I hhope this is doable .

Thanks again.

It is easily done on Fantasy class ships, don't think you could do it in a cabin with a couch. This is what we did with an inside on Fascination:

Original layout:

enhance

And after I moved my bed:

enhance

YESSSS but we hava a balcony and the bunks but this is what I am looking for. Thank you.!!

If this is for your Pride cruise, you are not going to be able to do it in a balcony cabin. Believe me, sitting on my bed in a Pride balcony, I tried to figure out if it could be done, but the couch is too long, and I doubt they will remove the couch. EM

I'll briefly explain...

YMMV

Impressive, I'm happy they were able to help you out.

If this is for your Pride cruise, you are not going to be able to do it in a balcony cabin. Believe me, sitting on my bed in a Pride balcony, I tried to figure out if it could be done, but the couch is too long, and I doubt they will remove the couch. EM

Yes, it is for the Pride cruise but I feel like I read it on a post (wrigley80 I believe)a while back that someone actually had photos of it.....hmmmmm maybe the will pop up before my cruise.

Thanks for the input.