Red Hook Brooklyn to Manhattan Ferry

Solent Richard

Having found inspiration on these pages, and particularly over on the 'Cunard' site I have hopefully written a definitive guide on the NYC Ferry service between Red Hook and Pier 11, Manhattan on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/09/25/new-york-brooklyn-transfers-update/

37090685266_d891e63f69_z.jpg

The ferry runs every hour and is now probably the most convenient way to get over to Manhattan for those cruisers whose ship berths at the Red Hook Terminal.

The blog gives timetables and other information for alighting/returning from Manhattan's Pier 11.

The Ferry jetty is a few minutes walk from the Terminal building...

36609638103_cdfc1a63cb_z.jpg

36609637423_778a48b728_z.jpg

37421445055_74a7f85a7e_z.jpg

Great post!

My only comment would be that the schedules you have posted are misleading because they have already changed a bit and they could certainly be adjusted in the future. Ferries to Governor's Island will stop on October 29 until next Spring/summer, so there should be an updated schedule published then.

Instead of posting the current schedules, I would post the link to the current schedule and tell folks to check it - https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Thanks also for crediting Post Captain's photos.

Great write up.

We also have to see what winter service will be. Queen Mary 2 does sail late December, and ice should not really be a problem yet but it also snowed in October not to long ago so who knows what winter service on the East River Ferries will be.

NY Waterways (different company/service) does suspend some service on the Hudson ferries between NJ and NY in the winter from time to time.

Heck Trump visit to UN just last week suspended the ferry by my work, no service to or above 34th Street at times, all subject to change.

In late July I shot another video outside the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, this time showing the walk from the ferry landing to the terminal and back in "real time," as well as giving a brief look around the ferry landing itself. I've only just gotten around to posting it on YouTube, and have linked to it below. Not a professional production by any means, I'm afraid, but it might be of some use in showing others just how easy it is to use the ferry to travel between the cruise terminal and Manhattan.

Thanks to Solent Richard for crediting my photos on his blog and here on Cruise Critic.

• 5 weeks later...
I am going for a luncheon and ship's tour aboard the Crown Princess on 4 November....I think this might be a nice way to go, instead of taking the B-61 bus.....:)

Indeed, having taken the B-61 from Borough Hall to Van Brunt & Pioneer on previous visits in the pre-ferry days, I can attest that the ferry is infinitely more pleasant, comfortable, and scenic. Mrs Post Captain & I will be doing that on the 4th.

If you're coming from Flushing, I assume the easiest route would be to take the 7 train to Grand Central and change to the 4/5 to Wall Street, from where it's a 10-15 minutes' walk to Pier 11. For the 10 a.m. check-in at Red Hook, you'll have to catch the 9:30 ferry. (The next ferry after that doesn't depart Pier 11 until 10:25.)

Hope to see you on board! ;)

Indeed, having taken the B-61 from Borough Hall to Van Brunt & Pioneer on previous visits in the pre-ferry days, I can attest that the ferry is infinitely more pleasant, comfortable, and scenic. Mrs Post Captain & I will be doing that on the 4th.

If you're coming from Flushing, I assume the easiest route would be to take the 7 train to Grand Central and change to the 4/5 to Wall Street, from where it's a 10-15 minutes' walk to Pier 11. For the 10 a.m. check-in at Red Hook, you'll have to catch the 9:30 ferry. (The next ferry after that doesn't depart Pier 11 until 10:25.)

Hope to see you on board! ;)

Count on it :D

But I may take the previous departure, as I like to be "early" ...:cool: