Empress of the Seas-September 23-27; My .02

Tommy3putts

I was on the same cruise in early August. No problem with customs. In fact, in 4 or 5 times out of Tampa, very few problems with disembarkation. Of course, I try to get off the ship as soon as possible in the morning.

Thanks to the OP for the report, I just booked Emp for this time next year. I've sailed out of Tampa way back in 2012 and had no issues with customs, but we weren't, and I won't be coming off of a Havana cruise. I don't know if that has any effect, or if they have just reduced staff. I'll watch more reviews in the coming months.

Thanks to the OP for the report, I just booked Emp for this time next year. I've sailed out of Tampa way back in 2012 and had no issues with customs, but we weren't, and I won't be coming off of a Havana cruise. I don't know if that has any effect, or if they have just reduced staff. I'll watch more reviews in the coming months.

It was mostly the result of poor “staffing;” both customs and port personnel. On the plus side there were no customs forms to fill out.

"Cuba is still in many respects a third world country. "

that line made me laugh....."still"? "in many respects"???

Cuba IS a third world country, full stop.

Cuba is a "second world country", full stop.

First, second, and third world have nothing to do with economics (outside of the politics of economy) and everything to do with politics. First world is US and its allies, second world is Soviet Union/Russia and its allies, and everything else is third world.

Cuba is a "second world country", full stop.

First, second, and third world have nothing to do with economics (outside of the politics of economy) and everything to do with politics. First world is US and its allies, second world is Soviet Union/Russia and its allies, and everything else is third world.

yes yes we all know the cold war definition of first /third world..

but we also all know that's not what any of us are talking about in current usage...

• 3 weeks later...
Tommy3putts do you know if there is a unobstructed area forward on the ship to observe/take photos/etc? I read somewhere there might be and that you need to go through a door labeled "emergency exit." Those areas are usually my favorite areas on a ship. Thanks!

On Deck 11 forward there is a large viewing area (seats tables etc...). It usually got crowed but you could get some decent pics. I don’t recall seeing any secret access to a viewing area above Deck 11.

The aft area is a mess the climbing wall obstructs any sort of movement at the back on Deck 10. There was an outdoor stairway for the crew leading up to an outside area.

Deck 6 promenade has good areas for pictures.

Tom

8fb467fb2f835d6a1dfae1801adde015.jpg716b420893703a3d42b795a3dd9d417b.jpg

The Nordic Empress was originally a new build for RCI in the early 1990s. It was transferred out of the RCI family in 2007 to Pullmantur and then brought back to RCI in 2015 specifically for Cuba sailings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Empress_of_the_Seas

The ship was built for Admiral Cruise line, that was having some financial issues. It merged with RCCL, so when the ship was finished, it was RCCL. However, the order for the ship, as well as the design of the ship was done for Admiral. So although it was a new built for RCCL, the design was not. What RCCL did was modify the ship, to fit some RCCL themes into the existing hull design.

We did the five day overnight in Havana,we docked at noon and had a bus tour at one.we found this to be very good and the next day we walked around old Havana on our own.For us this was the way to go.We booked the bus tour thru RCCL

Thank you for your trip report! I cruised the Empress in 2016 as my "Re-Intro to Royal" cruise, as my first Royal cruise was the Enchantment from Baltimore, during Hurricane Sandy, and was not the best cruise to date (I know Royal could not control the Hurricane, but our group was left with a bad feeling for the company, and I was out-voted for every cruise since). I cruised Empress with a friend in order to try and give the line a fair shot, and I am so glad that I did. Even though our itinerary was changed to avoid another hurricane, I enjoyed our alternate ports and the ship as a whole. I am about to book a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas! Thanks again for the report!

Thank you for your trip report! I cruised the Empress in 2016 as my "Re-Intro to Royal" cruise, as my first Royal cruise was the Enchantment from Baltimore, during Hurricane Sandy, and was not the best cruise to date (I know Royal could not control the Hurricane, but our group was left with a bad feeling for the company, and I was out-voted for every cruise since). I cruised Empress with a friend in order to try and give the line a fair shot, and I am so glad that I did. Even though our itinerary was changed to avoid another hurricane, I enjoyed our alternate ports and the ship as a whole. I am about to book a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas! Thanks again for the report!

Hi thanks for the feedback. Although I️ like the bigger ships, overall I️ enjoyed Empress and wouldn’t mind sailing a “smaller” PAX vessel (including Empress) again in the future.

The Empress was designed for another cruise line, so most things on the layouts are different. I never carry luggage off, and wish they would stop letting it happen. It causes more problems, mostly by people who shouldn't be trying to carry their luggage off.

I have been to the port of Tampa two times, and never had an issue, but like everything, it depends on customs for the day.

My last Empress cruise, I finished breakfast at 8:30 and was in my car at 9:00.

I have no doubt you have seen this several times. I won't argue with your logic. I have seen on Majesty with so many frequent cruisers and people driving home, that they have it down to a science and it goes well. I'm looking forward to my 2nd cruise out of Tampa next year. My cruise won't be going to Havana, so I hope it goes as well as it was last time.