Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

Here's a link to the Evernote notebook that contains all the Specialty Restaurant menus. Once again, you do not need to install Evernote to see the menus.

https://www.evernote.com/pub/skypadfll/escapespecialtymenus-october2017

Just click on the View Notebook button that pops up when you load the page to see the menu links.

evernote-mdr.JPG

Great and very funny review. Many thanks for many good laugh out load moments. We will be on the Escape over Christmas. Looking forward to all of the bars and restaurants that you reviewed so comprehensively. My husband and I wondered if the Wine Cellar bar is only open in the evenings? Is it possible to try all 40 wines by the glass on a 7 day cruise? (Is there a leader board for this)? (On the Getaway I tried all of the mojitos, but there is only 10 or so). Love having the beverage and dining packages, you seemed to use it to the max. Thanks.

Also, we'll be in the Haven for the first time; I'll try to find a quiet time at the bar to order that fancy old fashion masterpiece. Thanks for the etiquette lesson on how not to be a jerk!

Many readers are still waiting for the cruise line comparison from your perspective. Thanks.

After we started on the meats and cheeses, DW ordered the rest of the progression:

• Crab Montadito: Blue Crab Salad, Avocado, Tomato Fresca ($4.00)
  • Datiles con Almendras: Bacon Wrapped Dates, Marcona Almonds, La Peral Crema ($2.00)
  • Pork Belly Montadito: Green Apple, Cider Glaze ($3.00)
  • Patatas Bravas: Fried Potatoes, Paprika Aioli ($3.00)
  • Scallops: Hand Dived Atlantic Scallops, Parsley, Olive Oil ($5.00)
  • Brochettes a la Plancha: Grilled Waygu Beef Skewers, Rnger6ng Potato ($7.00)

It was all excellent once again, although my father-in-law wouldn't try the pork belly. (We didn't try to overcome his objection. ;) ) I thought that we'd be ordering seconds of something, but that was not to be. DFIL really seemed to like the crab, the dates, the scallops, and the beef skewers. His ultimate verdict: "It was different."

Laughing at your description of your DFIL!! But I have to admit, he was more adventurous than my hubby! Although my guy uses more descriptive words than "different", he won't even try something new. He likes to order only foods that are familiar to him, which means he usually only ends up ordering from the "Classic" offerings every evening, rather than trying one of the "Featured" selections. And if he just isn't pleased with any of that, we will be making a trip up to the buffet before he is happy! And he won't even go near a seafood dish!! 😂😂 I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks! 😂😂😂

My husband and I wondered if the Wine Cellar bar is only open in the evenings? Is it possible to try all 40 wines by the glass on a 7 day cruise? (Is there a leader board for this)?.

Now this is an awesome idea - and there should be a leader board!!

My initial thoughts were that the leader board for the wine bar wasn't exactly keeping with the ambience of the place.

But then I realized that you don't need a big board on the wall, since​ and there's a digital tablet at every table. Call it the "Connoisseur's Club Championship" and award two wine glasses and a carafe.

Sounds like a winning concept.

We didn't really anticipate just how busy the ship was going to be on sea days. Prior to this, the largest ship we had been on was Royal's Explorer of the Seas, and that was more than a decade ago before they added the excess passenger capacity.

On our first sea day, we realized that getting a chair by the pool, or even in Spice H2O, was going to be an investment in time. You'd have to be up early and be willing to play the chair hog game if you wanted a group of chairs together. That's just not going to happen for us.

I walked the public decks after lunch and never managed to find two chairs in a row that weren't occupied or otherwise reserved. (There were several upright seats together in the tunnel leading into Spice H2O, but I am talking about lounge chairs.)

If you are an early riser, you probably won't have a problem. If you start your day and like to head out after breakfast, at say... 10:00 AM, I think you're out of luck.

I can completely understand the desire to score Vibe passes now.

Not an option for us with the kids, unfortunately. If only they wanted nothing to do with us like normal teens and tweens 😂.

I wake up really early and usually get some coffee and read on the balcony until everyone else wakes up. May have to take it to the deck and tell the sleepy heads to find me when they're ready to eat.

Do they have the big round cushy loungers on any of the public decks? They had a few on Breakaway at the front of the ship. Prime real estate. I think people camped out up there like it was the night before a new iPhone release or something...

Getting VIBE passes is just as hard as finding chairs at pool. In May when boarding breakaway I was at port at 9am in line for boarding and got number 7 as boarding number. When number 7 was called me and DH ran up the gangway to guest services passing people like we were on the "Amazing Race" and we got last 2 VIBE passes but it was so worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

When you are choosing your bars, try to account for the crowds. Some of the bars, like the ones by the pool or at SpiceH2O can be a little tough on a sea day, particularly if your group is a decent size. You might be able to cover more ground if you can agree what the drink will be at each bar and it's something the bar can make up as a batch.

This is exactly my plan! I've picked the bars, now I just need to go over the bar menus and pick a drink at each one that can be made in a batch.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Great and very funny review. Many thanks for many good laugh out load moments. We will be on the Escape over Christmas. Is it possible to try all 40 wines by the glass on a 7 day cruise? ...

Also, we'll be in the Haven for the first time; ... Thanks.

Does a bear....?

Um, yes, I believe so.

Over at "The Academy of the Finer Things in Life" I've compiled notes of first-hand scientific experiments conducted on other cruise line venues of a similar nature, mostly involving wines by the bottle. That would equate to four glasses of a good pour or five glasses when The Beverage Control Police are watching.

Setting calculus, algebra and trig aside, the simple math works out to 6 glasses a day allowing for two repeats of your favorites.

Even if Cellars limits their hours to 5:30 pm onward, that's a clean two visits daily.

Start with a glass or two prior to dinner. Carry your next with you to dinner. As you hand "more than just your card" to the waiter, he most likely will get that next glass of wine from Cellars for you to enjoy with your entree... and eager to replenish it with another to finish your entree when he saw that Mr. Lincoln was standing in for Mr. Washington. In April 2017, the waiter in Cagney's was happy to retrieve a second glass of a $30 Cab [$15 upcharge] even prior to learning that Mr. Washington accompanied my card. [Cagney's is a short distance from Cellars. I'd suggest Mr. Lincoln accompany treks from restaurants more distant.]

Dropping by Cellars pre-show, then after-show... and heck, you may realize you're ahead of the game!

While The Academy's chief researcher will be embarking 10/28/17, regretfully other scientific experiements have been previously planned which could otherwise be in conflict with a research project dedicated to a Cellars Winelist Challenge.

Prior to endevouring such a project, I would advise ample time for planning. As you've read in reports published by the fine staff at The Institute, there really is a science to pairing wines with food. And pre-dinner it may be advisable to stick with red or white if you plan to have a few in succession, as suggested, working towards the fuller bodied and dry wines.

Lastly, if you decide to persue this challenge, I noted that you are staying in The Haven. I've never enjoyed that priveledge, though I do understand that Haven guests are well looked after service-wise. Perhaps a butler could collect you, should your research overwhelm your senses of walk and crawl.

Does a bear....?

Um, yes, I believe so.

Over at "The Academy of the Finer Things in Life" I've compiled notes of first-hand scientific experiments conducted on other cruise line venues of a similar nature, mostly involving wines by the bottle. That would equate to four glasses of a good pour or five glasses when The Beverage Control Police are watching.

Setting calculus, algebra and trig aside, the simple math works out to 6 glasses a day allowing for two repeats of your favorites.

Even if Cellars limits their hours to 5:30 pm onward, that's a clean two visits daily.

Start with a glass or two prior to dinner. Carry your next with you to dinner. As you hand "more than just your card" to the waiter, he most likely will get that next glass of wine from Cellars for you to enjoy with your entree... and eager to replenish it with another to finish your entree when he saw that Mr. Lincoln was standing in for Mr. Washington. In April 2017, the waiter in Cagney's was happy to retrieve a second glass of a $30 Cab [$15 upcharge] even prior to learning that Mr. Washington accompanied my card. [Cagney's is a short distance from Cellars. I'd suggest Mr. Lincoln accompany treks from restaurants more distant.]

Dropping by Cellars pre-show, then after-show... and heck, you may realize you're ahead of the game!

While The Academy's chief researcher will be embarking 10/28/17, regretfully other scientific experiements have been previously planned which could otherwise be in conflict with a research project dedicated to a Cellars Winelist Challenge.

Prior to endevouring such a project, I would advise ample time for planning. As you've read in reports published by the fine staff at The Institute, there really is a science to pairing wines with food. And pre-dinner it may be advisable to stick with red or white if you plan to have a few in succession, as suggested, working towards the fuller bodied and dry wines.

Lastly, if you decide to persue this challenge, I noted that you are staying in The Haven. I've never enjoyed that priveledge, though I do understand that Haven guests are well looked after service-wise. Perhaps a butler could collect you, should your research overwhelm your senses of walk and crawl.

Can I intern at the Academy? This sounds like an experiment right up my wine loving alley.

In other geek related news, iMessage runs fine over the intranet without need for an Internet package.QUOTE]

So just to clarify, you were able to use iMessage with the regular iPhone setup (airplane mode) and did not have any charges? I find the NCL app to be pretty bad and only got it for messaging. So this would be good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In other geek related news, iMessage runs fine over the intranet without need for an Internet package.QUOTE]

So just to clarify, you were able to use iMessage with the regular iPhone setup (airplane mode) and did not have any charges? I find the NCL app to be pretty bad and only got it for messaging. So this would be good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and her brother ran plain old iMessage with phones in airplane mode and wifi connected to the ship's intranet. No extra charges at all. In fact, DW did not even load the iConcierge app. You'll want to be near the other person when you are setting up. You may have to pay attention to which address you are texting in case you have a non iMessage address in your address book.

The nice thing about about iMessage is that you get a delivery notice, which I'm sure you have seen. Results with the iConcierge texting app were less than stellar

Do they have the big round cushy loungers on any of the public decks? They had a few on Breakaway at the front of the ship. Prime real estate. I think people camped out up there like it was the night before a new iPhone release or something...

I did not see any, but I wasn't looking for them. I scrolled through my photos and don't see any. That doesn't mean that they don't exist, so perhaps someone else had better information.

Great and very funny review. Many thanks for many good laugh out load moments. We will be on the Escape over Christmas. Looking forward to all of the bars and restaurants that you reviewed so comprehensively. My husband and I wondered if the Wine Cellar bar is only open in the evenings? Is it possible to try all 40 wines by the glass on a 7 day cruise? (Is there a leader board for this)? (On the Getaway I tried all of the mojitos, but there is only 10 or so). Love having the beverage and dining packages, you seemed to use it to the max. Thanks.

Also, we'll be in the Haven for the first time; I'll try to find a quiet time at the bar to order that fancy old fashion masterpiece. Thanks for the etiquette lesson on how not to be a jerk!

Many readers are still waiting for the cruise line comparison from your perspective. Thanks.

If your itinerary is similar to ours, you can probably expect the following hours for the Cellars Wine Bar:

• Day 1: Miami Embarkation: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM (closed for muster drill)
  • Day 2: Sea Day: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM
  • Day 3: Roatan: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
  • Day 4: Harvest Caye: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
  • Day 5: Costa Maya: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
  • Day 6: Cozumel: 4:00 PM - 11:00 PM
  • Day 7: Sea Day: 11:00 AM - 11:00 PM

If you are planning this out, you can probably figure on extended hours on sea days and late-afternoon/evening on port days.

As I mentioned earlier, the wine bar is a really nice venue and you can grab a table and watch people go by. It was never really full that we saw and it's one of the places we wish we spent more time. The available wines by the glass aren't going to blow you away if you are someone who drinks a lot of good wine, but they're all in what Wine Spectator or other publications would call the "Good" range.

Does a bear....?

Um, yes, I believe so.

Color me impressed by the thought you put into this! :D The premium Cabernet at Cagney's was 2011 Mondavi "M". The upcharge was $15/glass on the UBP, which isn't bad considering the wine sells for between $170 and $200 depending on where you buy it. (I opted not to get this wine because it's one of the lower rated "M's" in recent vintages. Don't get me wrong though. It's a solid 90 point cab according to several trusted wine publications. I would have probably pulled the trigger if it were the 2009 or 2012. So, having the unlimited Internet access either saved us some money, or robbed me of trying a wine I'd have really liked.)

The "M" Cab is on the Cellars list, so it should be available.

Realizing that a group of lounge chairs was going to be a bust, we headed up to visit DBIL and DSIL. They had a spacious front corner balcony. We were too late for sun, but the view was lovely and the wind wasn't too bad.

Poohby Joe, traveling incognito in DW's Louis Vuitton tote bag (His contract calls for "transportation befitting his celebrity stature.) tagged along for some photo ops.

33c900eeb283e00bbf4927d0de825dcd.jpg

3ad66780c1f672b8c921d4cffc86170c.jpg

7f92071023b8b6c116f4ecce00676e50.jpg

9fb0b087170bd2418c7fa8dfbb1c5ab5.jpg

Poohby Joe recommends the Peanut Butter Tequila from Ohana / Rastas in Cozumel

Pre-dinner cocktails before our last dinner were planned for Tobacco Road. It's one of our two favorite lounges on ship, along with the Prime Meridian bar. Great bartenders, nice ambience. In short, our kind of places.

Dinner is planned for La Cucina at 7:30 PM. We're mostly packed and our plan is to change into our disembarkation clothes after dinner so we can put our suitcases out by 11:00 PM.

One of the more interesting things we spotted at Tobacco Road was a gentlemen in tuxedo. That was pretty unexpected for a night when casual was the norm. There were a handful of dressier passengers out and about. I'm not sure if they were "through" passengers on a back to back or if they were last minute packers.

We opted to skip the signature cocktails at La Cucina. When we first began doing our research in the restaurant, they had different drink choices than are currently on the list. The current choices are the Negroni, which we already had (and Huskerchick disliked) and a peach Bellini, which to be honest – seemed like a waste of alcohol calories.

For our appetizer course, my wonderful wife* ordered the Mozzarella di Bufala Caprese ($3.99): Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella, Roma Tomatoes, Basil, dressed in an Extra Virgin Olive Oil Emulsion. I chose the Involtini di Melanzane alia Ghiotta ($4.99): Sauteed Eggplant, Roasted Veal Stuffing, & Pomodoro Sauce. Both appetizers were excellent. DBIL ordered the Fritto di Calamari con Salsa Marinara ($4.99) to share. It’s Lightly Breaded Baby Calamari with Marinara Sauce on the side. The calamari was quite good.

For our pasta courses, Huskerchick selected the Vulcano di Capelli d'Angelo alia Sorrentina ($6.99): Angel Hair Pasta, Fresh Mozzarella, with an Herb-Infused Pomodoro Sauce. I ordered the Lasagne di Manzo al Forno ($8.99): Beef Bolognese, Béchamel, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and Mozzarella. Both were very good. I gave half of mine to my father-in-law. I could tell that it was really what he wanted for his entrée, but he was thrown by the béchamel sauce. He has a tendency to fixate on the individual ingredients in a dish and sometimes winds up missing out on something good because he dissects the description. I’m of the school that says that, “Hey. They’re chefs. They know what they’re doing.”

For our main courses, DW had the Filetto di Branzino Dorato con Limoni e Capperi ($15.99): Pan-Seared Mediterranean Sea Bass, Lemon Caper Emulsion, Grilled Vegetables, and Roasted Potatoes. I opted for the Scaloppine di Vitello al Marsala ($17.99): Sauteed Veal Medallions, with and Aged Marsala Wine Sauce. Both our mains were very good.

For wines, DW started with the Banfi Pinot Grigio and had the Mondavi Chardonnay with her fish. I started with the NCL North & South Red Blend and had the Castello Banfi Chianti with my veal.

Service was courteous and efficient.

*-You’ll see why I’m sucking up in a later post.

Dessert wound up being the low point of our meal. Huskerchick was really looking forward to the affogato, which is one of her favorite simple desserts. It’s normally just vanilla gelato with hot espresso poured over the top. You’ll occasionally see vanilla ice cream in place of the gelato, especially in places where gelato isn’t readily available – like on Deck 8 of the Escape, where Dolce Gelato is super far away from La Cucina – making the substitution of ice cream an absolute necessity.

The pretty lady ordered the Affogato ($2.99): It’s billed as Vanilla Ice Cream & Hot Espresso. It was vanilla ice cream with cold espresso. I had the Torta di Ricotta con Crema al Limone ($3.99): Ricotta Cheesecake, Lemon Curd, drizzled with Milk Chocolate Sauce. My dessert was fine. DW was not happy. She opted not to send the dessert back because we were in a hurry to get back to the room so we could pack.

As you may remember from Bayamo night, we wanted to pay a la carte for Bayamo and use a SDP credit for La Cucina. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that they used a SDP credit at Bayamo until I reviewed our account the next day and saw the $35.40 charge for Bayamo ($15.00 pp surcharge + 18% service.) Once the check is closed out, the front desk apparently cannot reopen it in order to change it to a la carte. The net result is that we wound up paying an extra $33.42 – more than if we had been charged as requested. (If you really need to see this total broken out, I can. But at this point, I hope you trust me on the math.) ;)