Anyone else starting to wonder if the Gem is going anywhere!?

Smong

I am infuriated by all of this. I understand how hard it is to rebook, I do. But how In the world can they make any excuses for bookings in 2018 getting their itineraries and we are not? We are the first Caribbean sailing on the Gem this year (10/31) and know nothing. I honestly think they are gambling with us to see what's open. What a fun way to plan a honeymoon

I am sailing on Nov. 11 from NYC. Earlier this week, I sent NCL a DM on Twitter (thinking I would get a faster response than if I emailed) asking when to expect an updated itinerary since it has been over 2 weeks--past when they said an update would be issued. The response I got was as follows:

"Hi! Thank you for reaching out. We understand your concern. At this time we are still finalizing itineraries impacted by Hurricane Irma/Maria. Feel free to check back with us at a later date."

Similar response to what I got via Facebook.

"Thank you for reaching out. We understand your concern. At this time we are still finalizing itineraries impacted by Hurricane Irma/Maria. Feel free to check back with us at later date."

I feel for everyone on the 10/31 sailing.. sounds like it is going to be impossible to plan excursions, especially outside of the ship excursions.

This is a silly question, is it possible that they could move sailing dates around? I am asking because I am concerned about the scheduling. We have timed it so that we will only miss 4 days of school (due to Thanksgiving), but if we get moved one way or another, we need to cancel.

I am not sure they do things like that to make the schedule work?

It is POSSIBLE but not likely (as that means the embarkation/disembarkation ports now have to be changed too, and that's a whole more complex issue.)

I reached up the food chain and the short answer is, as I suspected, they have not been able to secure ports for the Gem yet, given her departure point the number of options is limited without a ton of sea days to get there and back and all available berths have been grabbed by other ships in the easy ports like Bermuda. Even Canada/New england is all booked.

I am not sure what they are going to do, because THEY are not sure...

My Guess only - I think there is a decent chance of either a CTN with a technical stop, or a cancellation....

Edited to Add - someone asked why some ships further out were able to secure ports. Some lines have retainers on certain ports in case of diversions, etc so as soon as the disruption occurs those ports lock to the new ships and are not available for anyone else.

I feel for everyone on the 10/31 sailing.. sounds like it is going to be impossible to plan excursions, especially outside of the ship excursions.

This is a silly question, is it possible that they could move sailing dates around? I am asking because I am concerned about the scheduling. We have timed it so that we will only miss 4 days of school (due to Thanksgiving), but if we get moved one way or another, we need to cancel.

I am not sure they do things like that to make the schedule work?

Edited by Loonbeam

Thanks for the information. :(

I am really hoping they cancel the cruise rather than an 11 day CTN. The sound of an 11 Day CTN with a technical stop literally makes me cry.

We are traveling this year for Thanksgiving because my father passed away this summer (at 61 due to cancer) and we just can't do his birthday (on Thanksgiving) and Thanksgiving with our usual traditions. He loved going to the Caribbean, so we thought this would be a great way to remember him and do something happy as well.

I just hope we have enough time to make some alternative plans.

It is POSSIBLE but not likely (as that means the embarkation/disembarkation ports now have to be changed too, and that's a whole more complex issue.)

I reached up the food chain and the short answer is, as I suspected, they have not been able to secure ports for the Gem yet, given her departure point the number of options is limited without a ton of sea days to get there and back and all available berths have been grabbed by other ships in the easy ports like Bermuda. Even Canada/New england is all booked.

My Guess only - I think there is a decent chance of either a CTN with a technical stop, or a cancellation....

Edited to Add - someone asked why some ships further out were able to secure ports. Some lines have retainers on certain ports in case of diversions, etc so as soon as the disruption occurs those ports lock to the new ships and are not available for anyone else.

CTN for 10 days? No thanks. I wish that if they are going to cancel it, just cancel it and let people book something else then. I will definitely cancel before final payment if that is even a possibility.

Dragging it out for this long is not doing anyone any favours.

Alright everyone. I called again today. I spoke to a nasty person so asked for a supervisor. She was super helpful. She said they are waiting on ONE port to confirm us going there. They expect their answer today so we will get notified today or tomorrow. I hope this is real and not another run around.

She assured me it is 100% NOT a cruise to nowhere

Alright everyone. I called again today. I spoke to a nasty person so asked for a supervisor. She was super helpful. She said they are waiting on ONE port to confirm us going there. They expect their answer today so we will get notified today or tomorrow. I hope this is real and not another run around.

They should hire some communications people so that someone could have crafted a message sooner with, "here are the new ports we have secured, subject to change. Enjoy your cruise."

OR maybe it means this itinerary will only have one port lmao!

i just got off the phone with concierge department and she told me still nothing so i hope whoever you spoke to has more info!!

That's the most news I've heard in the almost 3 weeks I've been waiting on the Gem's 10/31 itinerary! Good to hear, thanks for sharing!

They won't do this, only because securing port X might mean they can't do port Y and have to do port Z instead... No itinerary will be released until all stops are confirmed...

That doesn't mean they don't need better communications though (and it seems like every line has this problem)

But they still cou

They should hire some communications people so that someone could have crafted a message sooner with, "here are the new ports we have secured, subject to change. Enjoy your cruise."

OR maybe it means this itinerary will only have one port lmao!

They won't do this, only because securing port X might mean they can't do port Y and have to do port Z instead... No itinerary will be released until all stops are confirmed...

That doesn't mean they don't need better communications though (and it seems like every line has this problem)

But they still cou

Ah, I didn't realize the calculus variables have this type of cause and effect. Bummer.

Just got a phone call from NCL as a result of the email I sent them on Friday regarding 10/31 Gem sailing. She says they are still working on it and no idea when to expect notification. Seems its a different story depending on whom you speak to there. Told her its okay when NCL says final payment is due in ## days and you had better pay it by then but there shouldn't be a double standard when you also say you will be notified within 2 weeks and tomorrow will be week 3 with still no notification.

Thanks for the update JC and sorry you had to deal with rude customer service.....last week they told me they were waiting on puerto rico

Anything???

I emailed the VP of guest services and she sent me the EXACT same email she had sent a week and a half ago. I am at work so can't call but I'd assume they know nothing as usual. I wish I could cancel and get a full refund. I am so done with NCL dicking us around.

That’s definitely disappointing! 😖

I spoke with someone, and they have no updates. (we are on the Nov sailing)

]

Fortunately, I have insurance, so we will cancel if we don't hear by Friday and make alternate arrangements. It doesn't sound like they have any idea.

On a side note, I really felt bad for the woman answering the phone, she is just the conveyor of the information. I am sure most people weren't so friendly. :(

I spoke with someone, and they have no updates. (we are on the Nov sailing)

]

Fortunately, I have insurance, so we will cancel if we don't hear by Friday and make alternate arrangements. It doesn't sound like they have any idea.

On a side note, I really felt bad for the woman answering the phone, she is just the conveyor of the information. I am sure most people weren't so friendly. :(

You are able to cancel because of not knowing your itinerary?

You are able to cancel because of not knowing your itinerary?

Yes, if that person purchased insurance that allows a cancellation for any reasons.

When you purchase for a insurance plan, there are different kinds out there.

Need to purchase one that include what s/he want.

No one can predict what will happen like all these hurricanes and another example is what if your job need you/tell you last minute that you cannot go. If you do, would lose your job...