How does requesting a vegetarian menu in the MDR work?

kokopelli-az

We have an upcoming Panama Canal transit cruise on the Oosterdam in November.

Is it possible to always have a vegetarian menu or two (there are 4 of us) delivered to our table along with the regular menu? Do we have to let HAL know in advance? Or can we just ask our waiter (which I assume will be a different one nearly every night) for a couple of vegetarian menus (in addition to the regular menus) when we are seated?

I have only used the vegetarian menu to order for the next night, not the current one. Usually that's the process for a special diet (I do low sodium and often vegetarian too, since I like the veg menu). There are vegetarian choices available on the main menu every day as well.

I’ve seen vegetarian items in the MDR menu every night. Although I’m not vegetarian I’ve ordered and enjoyed the vegetarian meals several times.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm just wondering the process of requesting the actual vegetarian menu (which is in addition to the vegetarian selection on the main menu). So it seems like I need to touch base on the first night.

saatuk: are you saying you need to preorder off the vegetarian menu the night before for the next night's meal?

Our experience on the Rotterdam July 2017: You can ask for and order from a vegetarian menu for the following evening. Our waiter was in the habit of asking each day if we wanted to look at the vegetarian menu for the following day. Our daughter did that for a few days and then discovered that the vegetarian options on the regular menu varied from day to day and were just as appealing to her. If you are not doing fixed dining, I'm sure you could stop at the podium each evening and place your order for the next day.

If you are not doing fixed dining, I'm sure you could stop at the podium each evening and place your order for the next day.

You can place the order with the head waiter serving you. You specify your room number with the order. The next night if on anytime dining, you tell your waiter that you have pre-ordered and tell him your room number.

I have only used the vegetarian menu to order for the next night, not the current one. Usually that's the process for a special diet (I do low sodium and often vegetarian too, since I like the veg menu). There are vegetarian choices available on the main menu every day as well.

Only a few items on the regular menu.

I have allergies, and I know that they bring me the menu the night before, and I select what I want, and then make the adjustments. I'm sure that they would be able to bring you the menu as well. There are at least a couple of vegetarian items on each menu for all the meals. DH and I were vegetarians for seven years while we sailed HAL, and they always had things we found appealing.

I'll make another addition to the thread. When ordering in advance, I always order steamed vegetables in addition to the other courses and I've always get them. I usually do fixed dining, and after a couple of weeks, the amount of vegetables tends to increase as the waiter gets to know one.

Edited by saatuk

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are vegetarians. We work with a HAL cruise consultant so she knows our meal preferences before we sail. Our first evening in the MDR on board Maasdam in June 2017 was effortless. Our waiter knew we were vegetarian and we were offered a special (and very extensive) vegetarian and vegan menu. Then every evening at the end of our dinner service in the MDR, our waiter would show us the next nights menu and the vegetarian menu so we could select our meals! It was awesome! Sometimes we would order exclusively off the vegetarian menu while other nights we would order half and half.

We are two star mariners and cruise exclusively with Holland America Line. These types of experiences make us keep coming back...we have been booked on Nieuw Statendam’s 11 night December 2018 sailing since June! :D