MDR question (it's been a while)

It's been 6 years since my last cruise :eek: so I'm trying to remember how dining works. This time I'm traveling with my boyfriend and our 4 year old daughter (1st time cruisers for them). We currently have the main seating but I know at times my boyfriend prefers the quickness of the buffet. I'm debating on changing to MTD but then we risk a long wait. We're not currently seated with others so although we wouldn't hold anyone else up if we decided to eat at Windjammer one night, we'd also be taking a table from someone who may have wanted that slot. Advice??? TIA

It's been 6 years since my last cruise :eek: so I'm trying to remember how dining works. This time I'm traveling with my boyfriend and our 4 year old daughter (1st time cruisers for them). We currently have the main seating but I know at times my boyfriend prefers the quickness of the buffet. I'm debating on changing to MTD but then we risk a long wait. We're not currently seated with others so although we wouldn't hold anyone else up if we decided to eat at Windjammer one night, we'd also be taking a table from someone who may have wanted that slot. Advice??? TIA

I'd switch to MTD so as not to hold a table when going to Windjammer. You can make a standing reservation, and just let them know you won't be coming on those evenings when you want to do the buffet.

I'd switch to MTD so as not to hold a table when going to Windjammer. You can make a standing reservation, and just let them know you won't be coming on those evenings when you want to do the buffet.

Should I switch via cruise planner or wait until we embark and then go to the MDR to talk to someone to arrange the standing reservation? Thanks again!

Stick with what you've got. The buffet isn't always "quick"! And, you're on vacation...what's the hurry? It's really nice to be served, and if you're alone at a table, it should go pretty fast. If you decide to eat elsewhere, then just do it...you don't have to worry about taking someone else's "spot" when you're in traditional.

Should I switch via cruise planner or wait until we embark and then go to the MDR to talk to someone to arrange the standing reservation? Thanks again!

I'd switch ahead of time if possible You may then be able to make a standing reservation for the time you prefer.