Just back from Freedom (10/7-10/14)

LHARTWICK

The app was terrific, and we actually had a pretty good experience with the chat feature.

Agreed! We didn’t use the chat feature, but I can see where it would be fabulous if you’re traveling with a group and want to plan/keep in touch. There are also deck maps on the app which were handy as well as open/close times for dining areas, pools, bars, etc. As I said earlier, my only disappointment with it was that the tea time wasn’t listed, so we missed the first two. Other than that, really great!

Have used the app on several different ships and love it. Download it now and then it has a count down to your cruise. Sounds like they have added more items since our March cruise. I don't believe menus were on there then. We had some great deck maps, you could star events you wanted to attend and a reminder would pop up for you a few minutes before the start, check your sail and sign account, etc.. That's all free! If you want to text with friends, family or other cruisers, it will cost you $5 for the whole cruise. Well it was $5 in March, haven't read anything different lately. Not a bad deal..

I am very fussy about beds. We've had very comfortable beds on all of our CCL cruises, and the Freedom was no exception. Ours was very soft and the pillows were great. I slept as well, if not better, than I do at home. Our closet also had an extra comforter in it, so if you find the bed is too firm, you cold always place that on top of the mattress. Also ask your cabin steward for a mattress topper if there are any left. That's we have to do on PCL - their beds are almost always too firm for me.

Back to the app, I had completely forgotten about being able to check your S&S account. That was so handy! And starring the events you planned to attend was a great feature as well. The chat feature is still $5 for the entire cruise. We didn't use it, but a real bargain IMO if you are wanting to keep in touch with others on the cruise with you.

How were the beds? We like soft, but I'm reading that the mattresses are thin and firm.
I

I liked our mattresses as far as how they felt. We had them put together into a king (like we've done for all our previous cruises), and this time around we had the most trouble with them staying together through the night. I think that was because there wasn't a side of the bed up against the wall as before. There was space on either side. It also didn't help that we bedshare with a wiggly, clingy 2 year old. haha Our steward did his best, though, and fixed it during every service.

You mentioned an early/late line for check in . Can you expound ? I don't recall seeing this when sailing from Galveston.

I have a group sailing next march and many are new. I am trying to inform them as well as possible for any scenario. Many have FTTF but not all. If the ones who do not have FTTF show up after thier window, are they not allowed to hop into the line anyway ? It used to be that you could be late but not early for your window. I just need to confirm if this has changed.

Thanks !

We never ate at the Seafood Shack, but I hate to hear it wasn't that great. Service was definitely great throughout the ship as you said. We were just disappointed in the MDR food/selections. But we sure didn't starve either - LOL!
Hi

Is one of the MDR's open for lunch on embarking day ?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G950W using Forums mobile app

You mentioned an early/late line for check in . Can you expound ? I don't recall seeing this when sailing from Galveston.

I have a group sailing next march and many are new. I am trying to inform them as well as possible for any scenario. Many have FTTF but not all. If the ones who do not have FTTF show up after thier window, are they not allowed to hop into the line anyway ? It used to be that you could be late but not early for your window. I just need to confirm if this has changed.

Thanks !

There were two lines marked: "On Time" and "Early/Late Arrival" at the terminal. If you arrived during your check-in window (which you choose in your reservation details through the Carnival site), you go to the On Time line. If you arrive before or after your check-in window, you get in the Early/Late line. The On Time line was on the left; the Early/Late line was on the right. I just happened to look past the long Early/Late line and saw the signs ahead; otherwise we almost got in the wrong line.

There were two lines marked: "On Time" and "Early/Late Arrival" at the terminal. If you arrived during your check-in window (which you choose in your reservation details through the Carnival site), you go to the On Time line. If you arrive before or after your check-in window, you get in the Early/Late line. The On Time line was on the left; the Early/Late line was on the right. I just happened to look past the long Early/Late line and saw the signs ahead; otherwise we almost got in the wrong line.
Thanks for that helpful info. That must be a new protocol. Is the priority line on the far left still on the parking lot edge ?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app