Royal in Port Everglades

NoWhiners

I didn't think they even care about ID (ID's will be vetted to get on a ship). I thought what they look for is a current boarding pass for a departing cruise. (We are shuttled in by rental car company most of the time, so they get waved in with their ID).

My experience is contrary to yours.

Once entering for a cruise, I showed a passport for ID.

Silly me, thinking it was a goverrnment issued id.

The rent-a-cop demanded a drivers license, as I was driving.

I frequently meet / pick-up people on ships. No boarding pass.

No problem.

If a boarding pass were required, no one could ever have a friend pick them up.

There is even a cell phone waiting lot (inside security) to wait whilst picking

someone up.

It all depends on which entrance you use to go to Terminal 2. If you go via the entrance that is on 17th, then you no longer go through security. The security is past the entrance to the convention center and Terminal 2 which share the same parking garage.

If you come via the other 2 entrances to Port Everglades, then you still go through the security booths and need to show that you are cruising and show ID.

Thanks for the clarification, good to know.

To get to terminal 2 you turn off of Eisenhower Blvd onto SE 20th St. The street goes right to the terminal drop off area. When we were there we just walked out and in right up SE 20th St with no security check point to go through. It is the same for cars. The terminal is only a few hundred yards from Eisenhower Blvd.

If you are coming from the airport the route is straight east on I595 and directly into Port Everglades. There is a checkpoint on that road. Once inside the port you have to get onto Eisenhower Blvd to go over to Pier two. It is a couple min. drive.

If your ship is the only Princess ship in port that day it will almost certainly be at pier two. But, if there are other Princess ships in port it could be at a mid port pier.

Great directions, thanks!

ML

No problem.

someone up.

LOL! Those rent-a-cops are a pain. It must be frustrationg for you. But thanks for al the excellent info. I just saw the link to the thread from 2015. We crusied earlier that year on HAL, and were berthed at the other end of the port, so never saw this info.

I'm looking forward to not having to wait in a huge line while the cab rings up wiating time :)

Thx

ML

I'm looking forward to not having to wait in a huge line while the cab rings up wiating time :)

Royal will almost certainly be at berth 2. The only time there might be a question

is when both royal and regal are in port at the same time.

• 5 weeks later...
I could have sworn that you had to go past the security check point before arriving the entrance to term 2/4. (and that was back in Feb after they relocated the checkpoint.)

Old age is getting to me. ;)

Were you have to have a look down eisenhower blvd and see where the security checkpoint is?

Have done it many times from Terminal 2. All you need is your cruise card and in-transit card from the ship. When you walk off to shop and return you do not go through a Port Everglades check point. All you need is your cruise card and it helps if you have your in-transit card for Princess security to get on the ship. Of course I would bring ID as a back up.

To gently disagree -- the convention center, the northport garage, and terminal 2 are outside

the security perimiter. I was just there for coral a few days ago.

The security checkpoint has mode south on eisenhower. It is right in from of terminal 4.

This map shows the location of the checkpoint on eisenhower blvdhttps://res.cloudinary.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/porteverglades/Port_Facilties_Map_UPDATED_August_5_2016_967fef41-99cb-400e-a99b-a0bbb8b935be.pdf

I just saw the change on our cruise the other day. It appears that the security booth was quickly moved since last year and you can now walk to the ship terminal without showing any proof of id and they wait till you enter the terminal before checking.

I'll give it a try next Sunday when I go shopping.

I would love to hear your experience with this (and which terminal you disembark at). My question is about the location of the security checkpoint relative to Terminal 2, but it sounds like you boarded outside the US?
We were on the Royal TA from which we disembarked on November 5th at terminal 21.

No problem.

someone up.

Yes, correct. I was thinking of arriving as a passenger in my earlier post. Having been there 2x in the past week or so, I am surprised at how much debate there is around security before T2. Perhaps it was because people approached from different ways.

If approaching T2 from the north (off 17th St), the port security checkpoint is south of the T2 entrance road and there is no checking. If you come in via 18th or Eller Dr, you do hit security.

And, yes, they just wanted to see a drivers licence. When I was dropping off wife and daughter at T2, we first went to security checkpoint and I said I wanted to drive down to T21 as they were returning there so we could see where to meet up. NP - I was given a day pass and mirror tag. Drove in to T21 around and back out again.

When I came to pick them up 5 days later, I entered via Eller Dr and again just has to show DL and said I was picking up family at T21 and was again issued a mirror tag. Easy peasy.

Yes, correct. I was thinking of arriving as a passenger in my earlier post. Having been there 2x in the past week or so, I am surprised at how much debate there is around security before T2. Perhaps it was because people approached from different ways.

It is amazing how much disagreement there is here on simple yes / no questions.

If someone asks is the food good? --- 1 billion answers

If someone asks -- can I get to terminal 2 without going through security, there is only one right answer.

I just saw the change on our cruise the other day. It appears that the security booth was quickly moved since last year

If 'last year' means October 2015, then sure.

It was a big announcement that this change would be in time for the boat show, so

that the convention center attendees would be outside port security.

Here's a post from December 2015:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48619700&postcount=1

Strangely --- about 5 years ago there was a big announcement about how

they were able to hold some international economic conference at the

convention center BECAUSE it was inside security.

If 'last year' means October 2015, then sure.

It was a big announcement that this change would be in time for the boat show, so

that the convention center attendees would be outside port security.

Here's a post from December 2015:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48619700&postcount=1

Strangely --- about 5 years ago there was a big announcement about how

they were able to hold some international economic conference at the

convention center BECAUSE it was inside security.

Maybe I was just blind to the fact that they moved it so long ago. :eek:

Actually today you can leave the ship without any id at all other than carrying your cruise card.

I went shopping yesterday for wine, soda & other items & was surprised. ;)

Out of all the places for downloading the best signal was in the cruise terminal. (term 2)

When walking from 17th ST. to Eisenhower Blvd to 20 ST. SE. it is a easy 10 minute walk from the Renaissance hotel.

There is no checkpoint when walking that route, we did it yesterday.

Note: Termanal 2 opens their doors at 10 AM not 11 AM as last year. However you still board the ship at the normal time of 11:30 or so.

When walking from 17th ST. to Eisenhower Blvd to 20 ST. SE. it is a easy 10 minute walk from the Renaissance hotel.

There is no checkpoint when walking that route, we did it yesterday.

Note: Termanal 2 opens their doors at 10 AM not 11 AM as last year. However you still board the ship at the normal time of 11:30 or so.

Thanks Todd for this update--really good info.

Enjoy your cruise

ML

There are a couple of posts upthread about Uber. One speculates that Uber cannot come to the Port to pick up disembarking passengers. One says that they can.

I would appreciate a definitive post, preferably from someone with recent direct experience one way or the other. Thanks.

We had a problem with a taxi driver with our last cruise there. Tried to charge us a fixed fare from terminal to airport. I said it is meter and he quickly changed his tune.

Keith

On our trip 2 weeks ago FLL to port was a metered taxi. On the way back the other guy was a horrible driver to begin with (very aggressive, changing lanes every 3 seconds, etc.) and charged us a flat fee, even though I asked to run a meter AND there were huge signs at PE about taxis having to use a meter. I gave him his $30 flat fee and not a cent more.

• 3 weeks later...
There are a couple of posts upthread about Uber. One speculates that Uber cannot come to the Port to pick up disembarking passengers. One says that they can.

I would appreciate a definitive post, preferably from someone with recent direct experience one way or the other. Thanks.

Just got off the Royal at PE, Terminal 2 on Dec. 20th.

The Uber driver met us at the private passenger vehicle pickup area (the area just past the curve where vehicles come into Terminal 2, before the buses & taxis).

There are signs indicating this pickup area.