First Cruise in 32 Days

traci_money

Thank you all ... Quilcruisers very useful stuff ... I'm going to try hard on the over packing and planning. One of my businesses is planning road travel. Also I'm determined to be free from Internet on board and only login 3 times max on shore. This will be awesome if possible. We have 5 businesses, 3 blogs, 6 main emails , countless social media... 4 grand babies, 2 kids with legal issues right now, hubby has a full time job, very active members of our church and a few volunteer pursuits .... yes I need to unplug

I did get my cheers package ... not sure if I will use to full max everyday but I will try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Thank you all ... Quilcruisers very useful stuff ... I'm going to try hard on the over packing and planning. Forums mobile app

I’m going to be the voice of dissent here and say; if you’re driving there’s really no such thing as overpacking. They’ll be plenty of room in the room, really the only down side is the time it takes to unpack and repack. That’s why we do garment bags... Almost everything except socks, underwear and bathing suites are already on hangers at home, that’s how it get packed and unpacked and - if it’s still clean - hung and repacked again.

And don’t feel bad about over-planning. It’s fun to plan your vacation, and very satisfying when those plans come off well. Just be prepared to let it slide off your back when a couple plans don’t come off as planned and look forward to doing it better next time! What sucks is when you do it worse the second time with the benefit of hindsight (been there done that!)

And I’ll disagree with those who say “don’t try to do everything”. Do as much as you want, my only caveat is is “so long as it’s free.” Don’t spend a gazillion dollars on shore excursions and ships photos and souvenirs and “for pay” activities on the ship because you feel like this is a once in a lifetime experience. If you can restrain yourself on the extra dollar items, you’ll be well on your way to financing your next cruise with the savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing this itinerary in August, on the Breeze. Please come back and report!

We love cruising out of Galveston. We caught the bug bad after our first cruise in August 2015, we leave for our 5th in 28 days, and the 6th is already booked. :) We always stay at either the Hotel Galvez or San Luis resort so that we can leave the car there and take the free shuttle. We just pay for one night of valet parking. Plus we love both hotels, they have great pools/bars. My favorite place to eat is Landry's. I know it's a chain, but we don't have one near us. We always buy cheers, but remember in Galveston it doesn't take affect until the 2nd day due to Texas liquor taxes, so you have to pay for drinks your first day.

We always get FTTF when we can as well. We like to get on the boat as soon as possible! :)

One more. Take the behind the scenes tour if you want to get a better feel of ship life. You'll get to visit areas of the ship that would be off limits to passengers. Sign up on day one as these are limited to a handful of people.

Does Carnival charge for the Behind-the-Scenes tour? With NCL (who we've sailed most recently for the past 6 cruises), you have to be Platinum - or maybe it's Platinum Plus - to take the tour, but I don't think there's a fee. But with Carnival, you can just sign up on the first day? Sailing the Glory in February and my husband would love to do one!

OP, have a fantastic first cruise! Mine was almost 20 years ago with friends and it got me hooked on cruising. I got my parents hooked on it in 2011 and they cruise 3-4 times per year now. Kind of an addiction - but a good one! :)

I love the Breeze! Grab yourself a Guy's Burger. One thing I have started using is a battery powered, motion activated nightlight for the bathroom. I don't like to turn the bright light on because it jars me awake in the middle of the night and since the switch is outside the bathroom door, the light shines out into the room while you are going in & out, disturbing your spouse. So, I was always going in the dark. Well, a couple of years ago I misjudged where the potty was & ended up hitting my tailbone on the shower ledge. I almost passed out right there in the floor, it hurt so bad. Of course, hubby slept through it.

As far as power outlets, be sure that whether you use a multi-tap or a power bar, it cannot have surge protection on it.

Packing - we tend to overpack, even though we've gotten much better. Apparently most of our time is spent in our swimsuits. Anyway, you can always do laundry on Carnival ships. I know others don't want to spend time doing laundry, but we usually have a day with a few hours of down time, so it doesn't bother us. You can also pay to have Carnival do it, but I had one item come back faded even though everything else looked fine.

Have fun on your cruise. I feel like staff on the ships out of Galveston are a bit more outgoing than in the Florida ports.

• 2 weeks later...
Does Carnival charge for the Behind-the-Scenes tour? With NCL (who we've sailed most recently for the past 6 cruises), you have to be Platinum - or maybe it's Platinum Plus - to take the tour, but I don't think there's a fee. But with Carnival, you can just sign up on the first day? Sailing the Glory in February and my husband would love to do one!

OP, have a fantastic first cruise! Mine was almost 20 years ago with friends and it got me hooked on cruising. I got my parents hooked on it in 2011 and they cruise 3-4 times per year now. Kind of an addiction - but a good one! :)

Behind the fun tour was 95.00 per person on the breeze. Well worth it though because of the tour and the gifts you receive after.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it

I understand the feeling, counting down the days, packing, double checking and realizing work efficiency is hitting an all time low. After 13 cruises and 4 more booked......I have just learned accept it. So have my co workers. Have a GREAT time!!!