First Cruise in 32 Days

traci_money

We are sailing out in 32 days. Day before in Galveston so no issues with holiday traffic. On the Breeze headed to Key West, Freeport and Nassau.

Our first cruise. Any last minute pointers. I will take them all!

First off, a BIG welcome to CruiseCritic !!! Have a WONDERFUL cruise, RELAX and enjoy !! Don't sweat the 'small' stuff. NO CRUISE, regardless what you paid, is flawless. Just have a great time. Who knows ? Maybeeee the 'cruise 'addict' bug will claim another victim:p But, if not, at least you can always say, 'We gave it a TRY'. Once again, WELCOME !

Mac

We are sailing out in 32 days. Day before in Galveston so no issues with holiday traffic. On the Breeze headed to Key West, Freeport and Nassau.

Our first cruise was from Galveston, the biggest tip we received was from the taxi driver. Take your luggage down around 9:00 am, tip the porters and come back at your allotted time. You should wait until your check in time, but we found our bags don't have to and can go on when they start the luggage shuffle. Plus, as the others have said, you may get the bug. We did and that was around 13 cruises ago, and 4 booked in the future. Have Fun.

We are on the Freedom with that itinerary in April. Our first e er Cruise was last year and we loved it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these ports. We got the bug and have our next two cruises planned after the April trip. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our first cruise was from Galveston, the biggest tip we received was from the taxi driver. Take your luggage down around 9:00 am, tip the porters and come back at your allotted time. You should wait until your check in time, but we found our bags don't have to and can go on when they start the luggage shuffle. Plus, as the others have said, you may get the bug. We did and that was around 13 cruises ago, and 4 booked in the future. Have Fun.

That should be easy enough for us to do as we will be down near there anyway .... thanks!

I finished up port stuff last night .... I decided for us the best idea for Key West was to rent scooters, I also bought tickets for the shipwreck museum - my hubby loves old buildings and houses, I love gardens and churches so this will give us the opportunity to whiz around all the neighborhoods on our time schedule.

I rescheduled my snorkel trip in Freeport to one thru Carnival ... the other one sent another email that trip was not full and would more than likely be cancelled. - we are ready / not ready for our first snorkeling LOL UcH7dT

UcH7dT

In Nassau I scheduled a tour thing with some back stage & feeding for Atlantis ... should be fun

Edited by traci_money
add photo

First off, a BIG welcome to CruiseCritic !!! Have a WONDERFUL cruise, RELAX and enjoy !! Don't sweat the 'small' stuff. NO CRUISE, regardless what you paid, is flawless. Just have a great time. Who knows ? Maybeeee the 'cruise 'addict' bug will claim another victim:p But, if not, at least you can always say, 'We gave it a TRY'. Once again, WELCOME !

Mac

I agree with this 100%. Don’t overthink things, don’t worry about little things that come up, and take in as much as you can.

One thing I love about cruising is trying different things at dinner. You can order multiple appetizers, entrees and desserts. So get what you want.

Just go with the flow and don’t overthink things! I know that I find my cruises more and more relaxing as time goes on because I don’t stress over little things simply because I want everything to be perfect. They never will be. Leaving on my 6th cruise tomorrow and I’m just as excited about this one as the first. Have a great time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First off i'm not mad:mad:, i'm jealous! This is because the first cruise is the best the cruise. My wife, my son of 9yrs at that time, and I had our first cruise on the Carnival Miracle in 2005. We also went through a hurricane (Dennis) in the Caribbeans, but we still caught the bug. I believe this was because we did not notice the hurricane until end of our last port when we were boarding the ship. It was the very outer bands of the storm so it was not that bad (yet). We stayed docked until the hurricane got 125 miles north of us, then we followed it back to Tampa Bay. I will not lie the seas were very rough, but at the beginning of the storm they did announce we would not be docking at 7am the following morning. In fact we were not aloud in to the bay of Tampa until the Gov./Weather gave the ok to dock;p. People were like awesome we get more time on the ship, but after a few hours of the heavy rough seas people were like get me off this damn tin can. I for one was one of the PAX that was sick, sick, sick it was not a great feeling. However, back to the good side of the story, the other 6 1/2 days were perfect. In fact so perfect we too got the cruise bug so have fun. Oh yeah almost forgot my tips, first off, (if you like to meet new people) we get a big table in the MDR were other couples have done the same for the soul purpose of meeting people also. Secondly, go to the MDR as soon as you board and make sure your table size and time is correct for what you have requested. In addition if you are doing the steak house one of the nights you need to reserve it the first day also because some cruises they fill up fast. In fact if you do the steak house (on Carnival) the first night they give you a free bottle of (cheap) wine, we have heard it not a great choice red/white. However, you can skip that bottle and get a good bottle for 50% off, I thought one follow cruise critic said he got a $300 bottle for $150 for him it was a great deal he said. So there are my tips again have fun, fun, fun.

Welcome to cruising and hope you get a serious case of cruiseitis! Here's my list:

1. Don't over pack. I think the ship has a self-serve laundry room or pay to have it done.

2. Take a power strip (not one with a surge protector) as wall sockets are few in the cabin.

3. Don't be late getting back to the ship after being ashore! Last minute plane tickets are very expensive.

4. Don't try to do everything! The ship has more than you'll be able to see/do while on board.

5. Watch the budget. All those drinks etc have to be paid for at the end!

6. DO HAVE FUN!

Have fun. We did this cruise in late July before all the hurricanes.

My tip is Guy's barbecue is only open for 3 or 4 hours, per day. Get there early if you like barbecue. On our cruise, I got his barbecue only once.

Welcome to cruising and hope you get a serious case of cruiseitis! Here's my list:

4. Don't try to do everything! The ship has more than you'll be able to see/do while on board.

6. DO HAVE FUN!

This. There is a lot to do on board so don't think you need to try to do everything. You'll run yourself ragged! Review the Fun Times the night before (or use the Hub app) and highlight/note what you'd like to do. Don't succumb to FOMO! Then, for the stuff you don't get to do, you'll have an excuse for your next cruise!

Realize that a lot of things in the Fun Times are geared to getting you to spend money with Carnival. They may make an event sound like something fun or educational (shopping talk with freebies, port of call introduction, body analysis, teeth whitening seminar, etc), but in actuality it is primarily a sales talk. If you are interested in the topic, and may be willing to buy something, then by all means go. But, as others have said, you can't do it all. So, if you choose to attend, you may be missing out on other, more fun, activities.

One more suggestion, if they have a presentation by the Cruise Director or an assistant regarding the ports of call, consider going. We did and it helped to know what to expect and an idea of what to do. The shore excursion desk will also be helpful regarding the different excursions. Hope this helps. Have Fun.

We’ll be waving to you as we get off Breeze for Thanksgiving week. It will be our 11th cruise from Galveston.

Your post says you’re arriving the day before, but not if you’re driving or flying. Assuming you’re driving:

Some hotels have a sail and shuttle package with free parking, we tried it once and were not big fans. Better to get a little cheaper hotel rate and do the park and walk deals from the many independent parking lots. Galveston Park and cruise is the closest, EZ cruise the cheapest, about 2 extra blocks. As noted drop your bags and spouse with the carry ons before parking. You’ll be back in 5 mins with Galveston Park and Cruise, 10 mins with easy cruise.

Highly recommend Moody Gardens for the day before (nice holiday decorations should be up by then). We enjoy having an early dinner at pier 22 to see the Saturday departures.

The Walmart on the island is great for any last minute things you forget.

The Bolivar ferry is free and a great way to get on the Bay, especially if your coming down from the east.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make friends with the crew, not just the entertainment staff but also your room people, servers and random people you see who don't look too busy. The crew are the coolest, most interesting and nicest people on the boat. I have never regretted striking up a conversation with them, can't say the same for some fellow cruisers hahahaaha

Enjoy your cruise, the breeze is very nice. I haven't had a bad cruise. Tips include same as above, you can ask for and order as many things as you want in dining room. Go to dinner every night, although we usually take one night off and eat other places. Dining room is where you get your best value for food. Make sure to try the sea day brunch. It is in the dining room usually until 1pm on sea days. It is fabulous ! Try to attend a cooking demonstration. They are nice and you get samples from the steakhouse selections. The restrooms and showers in the gym are free to use and very spacious. Those drinks on the first day are not free. Try to pack light, you have to pack all of the unused items back the last night of the cruise. Order bottled water from the ship before you go. You can bring canned non alcoholic drinks, soda, juice but carry them on , don't pack. You can bring a bottle of wine or champagne per adult. Don't pack this carry it on , you can bring a small cooler, or one on wheels and the room steward will fill for you if you tell them. The toilets flush really strong and it is shocking at first. The doors to the restroom require you to step up. Bring a shawl or wrap, the dining room and show rooms are often cold. Your tips are charged to your room on day two or three. Don't be shocked when you see them. Your room steward will ask if you want service once or twice a day. Bespectacled whichever you need. A lot of people are happy with just once a day. If you really need two, ask for it. Bring a lanyard or spiral key chain for your room key. It will have a whole punched in it , you need it for most purchases on the cruise and don't want to carry it around. The number on your card should be hidden. Someone with bad intentions can take your folio number and try to use it. You can add money to your account at guest services, you can pay down your room balance with cash at the kiosk. On the last day, unless you have travel plans, go up to 9th floor, eat breakfast and wait up there until your number is called. Don't rush to get downstairs there will be long lines. Select a check in time and fill out your online booking at least three to four days before cruising' it will be locked down the night before. Finally there are eating places everywhere guys burgers, blue iguana tacos and burritos , free pizza, lunch and dinner buffets. If you don't like something, get something else. It is very difficult not to find food you like. When you leave the ship make sure you have the ships time , if not, you mobile phone may change to local time and this may not match. You will be approached to take hundreds of pictures. Take them and buy what you want. The sky course is so fun. Go early in the cruise because there are lines. Use your fun time to see what all is happening on the cruise. The hub phone app is great and can be used to mark the events you want to attend. If I think of more I will post.

One more. Take the behind the scenes tour if you want to get a better feel of ship life. You'll get to visit areas of the ship that would be off limits to passengers. Sign up on day one as these are limited to a handful of people.

One more. Take the behind the scenes tour if you want to get a better feel of ship life. You'll get to visit areas of the ship that would be off limits to passengers. Sign up on day one as these are limited to a handful of people.

Agree! We took the behind the fun tour on the breeze and it was phenomenal! Yes you must book as soon as you get on board.