On Escape..I have a question for you NCL experts

travlin

Hello from Cozumel!

It’s been an interesting cruise with lots of rain and cloudy skies. Today it is sunny and lovely except some excursions were canceled due to choppy seas. No matter what the weather, I am on a beautiful ship with lots to do. I strongly recommend seeing After Midnight. I saw it on Broadway, and this production is almost as good. The talent is amazing. Also, if Marva Hicks sings at the Supper Club, you must go. She is amazing and very audience friendly.

I do have one question. I have about 20 cruises under my belt. I haven’t cruised often with NCL. My room steward seems lacking. First, when they announced our rooms were ready, most of my hallway wasn’t ready. I had dirty towels, empty bottles of booze, and all sorts of trash.. Most of us just went to our balconies and waited. I guess that just a communication error. The rest of the cruise, he has only cleaned my room once a day. He doesn’t get it done until afternoon. The doors to the balcony are so dirty that the world looks like it is fractured. I have always had my cabin cleaned twice a day. On other cruises (mostly HAL and Princess) by the time I get back from breakfast, it’s been cleaned up. Then in the evenings, I get towel animals and turn down service with fresh towels if needed.

I may not have noticed if it hadn’t been for spending more time on board than planned because of the weather. Please understand, I am having a great time. I just wonder if this is normal for NCL,

Do not call anyone until you speak with the steward. By calling someone first it can only lead to a bad or uncomfortable situation. He may be new and/or undertrained or he may just be a bad steward. Eihter way give him the benefit of the doubt first by speaking to him. Think about it, do you want an angry bad person touching your things when you are not around if you went behind his back to his boss? I know I sure don't.

We just got off the Escape a couple of weeks ago and our steward was in our cabin twice per day and always got clean towels on each visit too.

As others have said, contact the housekeeping department to inform them and hopefully it'll get sorted for you

Not normal, haven't been on Escape yet...but usually had 2 visits a day from Steward as you prev stated. Once earlier in day to straighten room and then the turndown in the Evening. I would speak to him to let him know your expectations. As stated earlier, he may be new. As to the hallway not being ready... I would have thought that a quick walkthru of hallways by supervisors should have been done before the "all open" notification went out.

Not normal. It should be twice per day. This may seem obvious, but first make sure you don't have your lights messed up that say Do Not Disturb, etc. Also, if you are leaving a card in the slot when you are out of the cabin, the steward might believe someone is in there, and pass you by. Be sure to hit the light for him to make up the cabin when you want service.

I also agree with the others who say to simply talk to him. If you have trouble hooking up with him, then contact housekeeping directly. As a LAST resort, not first, contact the Hotel Director.

I realize you came here for advice, but these things are best addressed on board, not on Cruise Critic. Speak first directly to your room steward about how you'd like your service to be better. If things don't change, then go to the Hotel Director.

It is definitely NOT normal for NCL. Either talk to the cabin steward about it or phone Head of Housekeeping or phone the Hotel Director. The situation needs to be improved!

There is the answer.

(and please, to anyone ELSE reading this, please do not come back here AFTER the cruise and complain)

It is definitely NOT normal for NCL. Either talk to the cabin steward about it or phone Head of Housekeeping or phone the Hotel Director. The situation needs to be improved!

I will speak to him. Glad to know this isn’t normal.

Not normal. It should be twice per day. This may seem obvious, but first make sure you don't have your lights messed up that say Do Not Disturb, etc. Also, if you are leaving a card in the slot when you are out of the cabin, the steward might believe someone is in there, and pass you by. Be sure to hit the light for him to make up the cabin when you want service.

I also agree with the others who say to simply talk to him. If you have trouble hooking up with him, then contact housekeeping directly. As a LAST resort, not first, contact the Hotel Director.

I would be the one who messes up the light, 😀, but I thought about the light, but I am careful to do that.

I don’t know what the norm is. It’s been in the 80s. Today is perfect; the ship’s station says the air temp is 86. I packed a small umbrella and purchased a poncho from the ship fo $3. I only wore poncho when it poured. I have worn shorts and a T-shirt every day and been very comfortable.

We got off the ship last week, with a great steward (Rommell). He was there twice per day, with turn down service, fresh towels, and towel animals each day. The room always looked great!

Good to know! I have politely visited with him. I only have one more day on the ship. I should have asked earlier.

Hello from Cozumel!

It’s been an interesting cruise with lots of rain and cloudy skies. Today it is sunny and lovely except some excursions were canceled due to choppy seas. No matter what the weather, I am on a beautiful ship with lots to do. I strongly recommend seeing After Midnight. I saw it on Broadway, and this production is almost as good. The talent is amazing. Also, if Marva Hicks sings at the Supper Club, you must go. She is amazing and very audience friendly.

I do have one question. I have about 20 cruises under my belt. I haven’t cruised often with NCL. My room steward seems lacking. First, when they announced our rooms were ready, most of my hallway wasn’t ready. I had dirty towels, empty bottles of booze, and all sorts of trash.. Most of us just went to our balconies and waited. I guess that just a communication error. The rest of the cruise, he has only cleaned my room once a day. He doesn’t get it done until afternoon. The doors to the balcony are so dirty that the world looks like it is fractured. I have always had my cabin cleaned twice a day. On other cruises (mostly HAL and Princess) by the time I get back from breakfast, it’s been cleaned up. Then in the evenings, I get towel animals and turn down service with fresh towels if needed.

I may not have noticed if it hadn’t been for spending more time on board than planned because of the weather. Please understand, I am having a great time. I just wonder if this is normal for NCL,

You have to remember that NCL really stands for "Not Cleaned Lately"

Good to know! I have politely visited with him. I only have one more day on the ship. I should have asked earlier.

The service you received is definitely not the norm. We were just on the Escape last month and on the first day we asked the steward to get us ice. He asked if we use a lot and we said yes. In addition to his morning and evening visits on days at Sea he stopped by a third time to bring us ice. And we didn’t ask for it but it was greatly appreciated.

I am glad you let him know while still on the ship. You bringing it to his attention may make him think about what he needs to do to please his guests in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello from Cozumel!

To the bit that I highlighted in red: Might it be possible that the bad weather that you stated later in the post contributed to the dirtiness of the balcony doors? I say this only because once or twice on a cruise, bad weather (rain, rough seas producing salt spray, etc.) kept the balcony doors and/or window constantly encrusted with a film. On our last cruise this past September, we had calm seas all week and our balcony glass was clear all week. But, I will add that if my balcony door was that dirty, I would have personally and politely asked the steward to clean it or (if I'd not seen the steward) left a polite note to that request. In my experience, the staff is very responsive to guest requests.

Were the balcony doors soiled from the inside or the outside. If the latter, in my experience there is a special crew that goes from balcony to balcony to wash the doors once per cruise.

You are right. It was the outside. I did see them cleaning it the day I disembarked.