Bring your cold meds!

D&J38

(Original poster here) We did get the Nyquil capsules in the ship's store, as I mentioned, but I agree the liquid just seems to work better. Definitely will have something suitable with us in the future. I called my insurance company, and we DO have worldwide coverage, so looks like at least some of it will be covered. I did buy trip insurance as well, so will pursue that if needed.

Husband is usually pretty healthy, but since it was bacterial, I agree the visit to the medical center was probably needed in this case.

Janice

Keep all your receipts! We had to send the paperwork from the doctor to our insurance company, and then we had to send the doctor’s receipts and the insurance company’s receipts to the travel insurance company. It did get reimbursed 100% through both.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We buy meds in Mexico whenever we visit my mother-in-law in the Rio Grande valley. I may just buy some antibiotics in Cozumel this year to have on hand. I am very reluctant to use them and usually try to get over the sinus infections without, but sometimes they are the only thing that will kick it. I really try not to abuse antibiotics.

I have had enough of the nasty sinus infection to recognize the symptoms and know what to do; I'd certainly rather not pay, or have my trip insurance pay, the cost of the ship medical center unless absolutely necessary.

How are the antibiotics regulated in Mexico? Do they have the equivalent of the FDA? How do you know they are what they say they are? I also saw psychiatric drugs there for sale. I would be cautious buying any meds there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How are the antibiotics regulated in Mexico? Do they have the equivalent of the FDA? How do you know they are what they say they are? I also saw psychiatric drugs there for sale. I would be cautious buying any meds there.

Purchased lots and lots of cheap drugs in Mexico. I have always received what I expected and didn't need a costly visit to a doctor to do so. No need to be cautious. You will receive what you want so long as you aren't buying out of a wheelbarrow on a street corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We purchase meds at a border town near McAllen Texas. The entire town's main street is filled with pharmacies, dentists and places to buy touristy junk. Thousands of 'Winter Texans' go there every day and I have never heard of anyone getting false goods.

I don't know what Mexico's policies on medications are, but we have always had good product. We have a preferred pharmacy, but have used others. My husband's diabetic medication was about 1/10th of US prices, even using Medicare, for example.. Where we buy certain classified drugs, like opiods, are not sold.

We have also had dental work done there; great prices and very well done.Of course due diligence is needed and if something seems fishy--like buying on the street--then use caution.

I knew better and I still didn't do it. Didn't want to bring Nyquil or Dayquil and risk having them leak in the suitcase. "If we need them, we'll buy them later."

When the ship's store opened the next day, we bought Nyquil and Dayquil tablet packages at $14.95 each, undoubtedly FAR more than I would have paid for the generics at Walmart ahead of time.

/quote]

Another reason to bring at least some meds: On a long cruise with a lot of sea days, we ALL got colds. Not everyone on the ship, but a large number of us, including crew and especially the theater performers. The store ran out of cough drops, Nyquil, and everything else. And there were no opportunities to buy them on shore. They talk about the dangers of Norovirus spreading on a ship, but a bad cold can spread very easily too no matter how careful you are to wash your hands all the time, avoid banisters, etc.

The last amoxicillin we bought in Cozumel was manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. Most of the drugs for sale in the pharmacias we've seen were made by American companies. They are the same capsules - it's the price that's different. (and the label is printed in Spanish rather than English)

Judy

I knew better and I still didn't do it. Didn't want to bring Nyquil or Dayquil and risk having them leak in the suitcase. "If we need them, we'll buy them later." Duh!! If you're at ALL prone to catching colds, bring your medicines with you. Maybe it will ensure you don't need them!

My husband started coughing a few days into our 14-day cruise. I did bring a whole bag of cough drops, but we figured he needed something more. Because we had arrived in port that morning, the duty-free store was CLOSED all day. The port of Puntarenas didn't look like it had a "pharmacia" nearby. So we went to the ship's medical center figuring he could get some cough syrup. Started with the $149 fee to see the doctor, and it would have been more but this was the 1.5 hour window when they're open in the morning. Nice doctor recommended an EKG because husband is 75 and has high blood pressure, and a chest X-ray because he heard some wheezing. What do I say--"Nah, skip all that" and have something happen?? Then they recommended a nebulizer treatment to "clear the airways." Drew blood and did at least three tests on it, determining it was a bacterial infection. Bottom line: Four days of antibiotics, little bottle of cough syrup, and the carefully itemized cost came to $1291. Haven't checked to see yet whether our insurance will cover at least some of it. This is undoubtedly a major profit center for the ship. I heard of two other cases on our cruise where the cost was closer to $3,000.

When the ship's store opened the next day, we bought Nyquil and Dayquil tablet packages at $14.95 each, undoubtedly FAR more than I would have paid for the generics at Walmart ahead of time.

My brother and I both DID catch the same thing on the trip but toughed it out with the Dayquil and a lot of cough drops.

Lesson learned!!

I have not had a cold in 3 years,however,I will still bring preventive meds with me.

I just returned from a TA from Copenhagen to Miami and I was fortunate I had brought my EmergenC and Sambucol to ward off a bad cold. I did get the cold but it wasn’t as miserable as it could have been. I also had Benadryl for sleep and to help with secretions. I did buy cough drops in Bermuda. Lots of people had colds.

I also had the cold medicine that you put in hot water and sip but could only tolerate 2 doses, ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the US you need a Rx.

Not entirely true. You can buy antibiotics, cheaply, in the US without an Rx. Thomas Labs Fish Mox Forte, 500mg Amoxicillin, USP approved, 100 count bottle for about $27. Same exact capsules you'd get at the pharmacy except it's sold as an animal med.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk