New to cruising - such a noob!

rvoice100

Hi all, have been lurking for the last week but think it’s time to post and get answers to a few questions. I’m sure they have all been answered before but I haven’t found the answers yet...

Heading out on the allure of the seas on May 6th western Caribbean cruise. Hope people can help with my questions.

1) we are from the uk so heading to Orlando for a week first. Would you suggest leaving Orlando the night before and staying in a hotel at Fort Lauderdale or would you say it’s ok to leave Orlando in the morning of the cruise and drive down?

2) When I booked the cruise I chose mytime dining. But when I log in to my cruise and click on dining it says I can’t book anything and I have to do it onboard? I’m hearing people booking discounted specialty restaurants on the first night but how can I do that if I can’t book anything?

3) same with “entertainment and shows” I click on that and it says to book onboard, I don’t want to miss out, is this normal?

3) we have just returned from a week in Mexico and love love loved it! (We were directly across from Cozumel) we loved the beach days so much so that we are thinking of just going to the local beaches at our stops, is this normal, all I keep seeing is people booking excursions?

4) my gf loves to work on a tan on holiday, anyone left a cruise with a bit of colour? I imagine there is so much to do it’s actually rare to see the sun haha.

I will have so many more questions I’m sure,

Thanks all

I would drive down to Ft. lauderdale the day before. That's around a 3 hour drive and you could have traffic issues.

It's probably too early to reserve dining and shows, keep checking your Cruise Planner.

No problem going to the beaches, many people do that.

Hi all, have been lurking for the last week but think it’s time to post and get answers to a few questions. I’m sure they have all been answered before but I haven’t found the answers yet...

Heading out on the allure of the seas on May 6th western Caribbean cruise. Hope people can help with my questions.

1) we are from the uk so heading to Orlando for a week first. Would you suggest leaving Orlando the night before and staying in a hotel at Fort Lauderdale or would you say it’s ok to leave Orlando in the morning of the cruise and drive down?

2) When I booked the cruise I chose mytime dining. But when I log in to my cruise and click on dining it says I can’t book anything and I have to do it onboard? I’m hearing people booking discounted specialty restaurants on the first night but how can I do that if I can’t book anything?

3) same with “entertainment and shows” I click on that and it says to book onboard, I don’t want to miss out, is this normal?

3) we have just returned from a week in Mexico and love love loved it! (We were directly across from Cozumel) we loved the beach days so much so that we are thinking of just going to the local beaches at our stops, is this normal, all I keep seeing is people booking excursions?

4) my gf loves to work on a tan on holiday, anyone left a cruise with a bit of colour? I imagine there is so much to do it’s actually rare to see the sun haha.

Thanks all

1. Just for peace of mind, traveling down to FLL the day before would eliminate some risk.

2. It may be too early to book anything, our march 11th allure just opened a few weeks ago for entertainment, but some food should be bookable, I would presume.

3. Many people just do beach days, that is not strange at all. The beach stops through the cruise line will be expensive, so in most ports, people will just figure out a beach and take a cab if needed.

4. You would really have to try not to get some sun. Down in the Caribbean, those of us from more northern areas will burn in a couple of minutes.

1. I live about 4 hours away from the Miami dock and have on multiple occasions driven down the morning of sailing. It involves a 6am start. For my next sailing I'm throwing in the towel and heading over to Port Canaveral (also 3-4 hours with pit stops) the day before. I really don't want to start my vacation at dawn. Since you're having a hotel stay either way, why not go ahead and spend that last night closer to the ship? Then you can have a leisurely sleep in and breakfast.

2 & 3. I wasn't able to start on most reservations until closer to 120 days (and some within 90 days). For the first night half price (First Night Done Right), it became available and then I purchased it. I believe they make the reservation for you, so it's just buying the package. I later canceled because we went a different dining route.

3. Yes! Very normal. The ship will even have beach day excursions which will include transportation to a beach spot and potentially some gear. You can also hire someone locally and buy day passes at various resorts. In Cozumel I just like to hire a tax driver to take us around. The beach/resorts will have food & beverage for sale, beach access and variable amenities depending on which you choose. Some will be more party drinking while others will focus on relaxation. Just depends on what you prefer.

4. For the love of all things good - PLEASE DO NOT SKIP THE SUNBLOCK. May will already be summer and very hot. If you do not have any color, you will get color even while wearing sunblock. I'm Floridian and it makes me so sad when I see tourists, especially those from the UK walking around like bright red lobsters. I get so tempted to buy buckets of sunblock and start handing it out. Even with some base color I wear sunblock every day in the summer or I will burn. Respect the sun or you will have a very bad time of it.

Thanks all

1. I have done the drive from Orlando to FLL on the day of departure, but I would recommend going the night before. There might some traffic delays, especially if you are familiar with the drive. Also, there is enough to do in FLL, so going the night before is not a negative.

2. I think it is too soon tho book dining options. Same goes for entertainment. Allure has a lot going on as far as entertainment, so keep checking to see when it becomes available.

3. Your vacation is just that, yours. Many people just go to the beach, so it is not uncommon. Not what I do on vacation, but that doesn't mean anything about your vacation. Last time we were in Cozumel, we went to Chitzinitza (sp?), but it took all day, and it is what we wanted to do.

4. A "bit of colour"? Be careful, it is very easy to get a bad suntan if you are not careful, especially if you want to go to the beach. Use sunscreen, because the sun is very intense. I also recommend bringing some after suncare with you, and if you can get Aloe with lidacane, I recommend it. Nothing with spoil your vacation than a nasty sunburn.

Let me know if you need any more specific information. I was on Allure no too long ago.

If you are used to UK rays, then bring (or buy) sunscreen! The Caribbean sun is MUCH stronger than you're used to....you don't want to ruin your vacation with a bad burn! 1 shot glass (1 oz) applied to your body for every adult at least 30 mins BEFORE you go in the sun...then do it again every 2 hours, or after you "towel dry"....many are "waterproof", but they are NOT towel-proof! You will still get sun...no worries...but you do NOT want a sunburn!

RTFM n00b! J/K but I couldn't pass up ripping on a fellow gamer (I am assuming here but I usually don't hear anyone but gamers throw out the word noob).

All pretty good advice given here. Don't really have anything to add. I would agree with those to stay in Ft Lauderdale the night before so you can take your time in the morning rather than trying to make a 3-4 hour drive the day off where something could go wrong.

1. I live about 4 hours away from the Miami dock and have on multiple occasions driven down the morning of sailing. It involves a 6am start. For my next sailing I'm throwing in the towel and heading over to Port Canaveral (also 3-4 hours with pit stops) the day before. I really don't want to start my vacation at dawn. Since you're having a hotel stay either way, why not go ahead and spend that last night closer to the ship? Then you can have a leisurely sleep in and breakfast.

2 & 3. I wasn't able to start on most reservations until closer to 120 days (and some within 90 days). For the first night half price (First Night Done Right), it became available and then I purchased it. I believe they make the reservation for you, so it's just buying the package. I later canceled because we went a different dining route.

3. Yes! Very normal. The ship will even have beach day excursions which will include transportation to a beach spot and potentially some gear. You can also hire someone locally and buy day passes at various resorts. In Cozumel I just like to hire a tax driver to take us around. The beach/resorts will have food & beverage for sale, beach access and variable amenities depending on which you choose. Some will be more party drinking while others will focus on relaxation. Just depends on what you prefer.

4. For the love of all things good - PLEASE DO NOT SKIP THE SUNBLOCK. May will already be summer and very hot. If you do not have any color, you will get color even while wearing sunblock. I'm Floridian and it makes me so sad when I see tourists, especially those from the UK walking around like bright red lobsters. I get so tempted to buy buckets of sunblock and start handing it out. Even with some base color I wear sunblock every day in the summer or I will burn. Respect the sun or you will have a very bad time of it.

Oh don’t worry about that! We went through a bottle a day in Mexico! Thanks for the reply!