Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers! Rain today.....good for flowers and weeds though. :) Nice perspective on the weed thing Linda!

The birthday trip for Chris sounds wonderful JP!

We Canadians do poke fun at ourselves from time to time. Therefore in the interest of doing so, today's funny....

31543680_1686629301384094_3070293380551409664_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5222859ab38fa75aeb3288bec53bc2ba&oe=5B968AE7

Although I'm guessing the door holding thing is a disappearing courtesy these days.

Have a great day all!

Although I'm guessing the door holding thing is a disappearing courtesy these days.

Is it any wonder? Years ago - in the late '80s as a very 'mature' grad student - at university, I had a psychotic, mindless, militant feminist, Women's Studies student scream at, and berate me for holding the door open for her. :rolleyes:

Yes Bill...that is indeed an issue! I never really understood why demonstrating a simple courtesy was in any way an insult to women, ardent feminists or not. And I continue to hold doors (and elevators) for people, male, female or gender neutral. :)

Is it any wonder? Years ago - in the late '80s as a very 'mature' grad student - at university, I had a psychotic, mindless, militant feminist, Women's Studies student scream at, and berate me for holding the door open for her. :rolleyes:

That happened to me as well. So I got dressed and left.

Quite right TTS ... :D

My worst faux pas which still makes me blanche every time I recall it. When working for The Corporation and running a manager training course I asked a young lady who was wearing a maternity smock when she was expecting her baby to which she replied that she wasn't pregnant. It still hurts. :(

Tsk tsk, Jeff. Years ago, I read a column by an American humor writer, Dave Barry. He said that there are only two acceptable circumstances for asking such a question to a woman. One, if you are responsible for causing said condition. Two, if you can see that she is actively giving birth. Words I live by.

Edit. Can't immediately find a link to the column but here is part of the quote: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/883497-you-should-never-say-anything-to-a-woman-that-even

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP, that trip sounds like it will be amazing:D

Conquer.

I really want to go to Iguassu Falls before I embark the Cloud for 'Cape to Cape' next March (see my plan here https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2632660 post #3). However, the the expense and insane logistics of flights, plus the expense and insane logistics of getting a Brazil visa for a Canadian in Vietnam (I don't think there's much point in going to the falls if you can only see them from the Argentinian side) just for one day, make the trip completely untenable.

I'm kicking myself now for not going to Iguassu in '04... before I cruised from Rio down to Antarctica and up to Santiago. Hindsight is golden. Now, I'll probably never be able to strike Iguassu of my bucket list despite having gotten so close twice. :(

Life is short. If you have a chance to do something, do it!

Great photos JP. You certainly saw a lot in your time here. I volunteer in a Visitor Information Centre near the Great Ocean Road. Some visitors call in around midday and want to drive to the Twelve Apostles ( now only 8 ) and back to the airport by 8 pm. They have no idea of the distance or time it takes!

The trip you are organising for Chris sounds wonderful. I posted some info for you about our trip but I think it was close to your return from Australia and you may have missed it as the cooler moves so quickly. I’ve looked for it to repost but can’t find it.

Mysty, your jokes are waiting when I log in each morning and is a happy start to the day.

Agree whole-heartedly Bill! You never know what is coming around the next corner! Carpe Diem!

Mysty, see the post by FuelScience on the River Cruise boards. Very true.

Great photos JP. You certainly saw a lot in your time here. I volunteer in a Visitor Information Centre near the Great Ocean Road. Some visitors call in around midday and want to drive to the Twelve Apostles ( now only 8 ) and back to the airport by 8 pm. They have no idea of the distance or time it takes!

The trip you are organising for Chris sounds wonderful. I posted some info for you about our trip but I think it was close to your return from Australia and you may have missed it as the cooler moves so quickly. I’ve looked for it to repost but can’t find it.

Mysty, your jokes are waiting when I log in each morning and is a happy start to the day.

Jill, thanks. You are right, I missed your earlier post but thanks to mysty for finding it. We really appreciated your advice about the Australia trip too. The whole trip was just great! Chris did a fantastic job organizing (sorry, we spell it with a zed), and it went like clockwork. I feel lazy because I'm booking us at all-inclusive resorts where I won't have to plan the day by day itineraries...

Wow, round trip from Melbourne airport to the Apostles-of-an-ever-diminishing-number in just a few hours? That's crazy. We did the drive from Port Fairy to Melbourne in just one day and that felt rushed.

And we are used to going at breakneck speed.

Two days along the Great Ocean Road would have been nicer, but there was just too much to see!

Thanks Mysty, that’s it. How did you find it?

Easy. Click on your name, then a submenu comes up. Click on "find all posts by jillyf" and it will be there. You've got to watch those Canadians. They are tricky! ;)

And... I think this is my 5000th post!

Dinner on Monday - scallops with citrus garlic sauce. We were out of lemons, so I used limes instead. The flavor was a little different but still very tasty. In fact, it was delicious with an Alsatian white blend. Don't forget the avocado slices. That adds some fat; otherwise, scallops fill you up and you're hungry a half hour later.

i-kkmh77L-L.jpg

Greetings Coolers! Sun is back. However Spring is taking a few days off. Temp this morning is about 38 F.

Today's funny.......we do encourage visitors :)

31501619_1686496058064085_1069834666481025024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7d5d5a643222ef744a7ae24b2a848714&oe=5B90F358

Have a great day all!

Good Morning All .....

Thanks M for today's funny.

JP lovely plate - and your planned travel sounds wonderful. Your past travels are really extraordinary. It seems to me that your joint approach to life with Chris is a shining example to others and should be a source of encouragement. You both work extremely hard and also really enjoy your down time to the absolute max. You have seen so much of the world. :)

By the way .... was the Circular Quay ferry pic taken from the station platform? It is a new "viewpoint" to me.

I had the first really sensible conversation with the doc yesterday about the ridiculous zelous pursuit of "perfect" blood test profiles and we are dispensing with some of the targets (and meds) - and regular tests - and moving on. Wifey and I both feel a sense of release! :D My QRISK2 says that there is a 3 to 1 chance I'll last ten years but if I soak myself in meds I can make a very low difference! I have a reasonably healthy BP, a slightly raised glucose and raised "bad" chelestorol but we will remove any anxiety about them and "push on". Some meds are now "off the menu" and we are going to concentrate simply on making sure we're both mobile and happy. :)

Thanks, Jeff. We do work hard at having fun! And, we're lucky enough to have the means to make some of these amazing trips happen.

Yes, the Circular Quay pic was taken from the elevated train platform. It's a full story above ground level. That Carnival behemoth was blocking the view of our hotel, from where we had just walked.

We were waiting for the train to the airport at some ungodly hour - I think 6:25AM or something like that. Of course, it was less than 24 hours after arrival, so in reality we had no concept what time it was!

We in medicine have certainly subscribed to the "more is better" and/or the 'better living through chemistry" philosophies. There are times when it gets ridiculous. Probably why I don't see doctors... The new hypertension guidelines, IMO, are just silly. More people have "hypertension" than don't! One size certainly does not fit all.

That was "Flat Talia" who is our niece. It's a big thing these days in elementary schools.

Apparently there's a children's book called Flat Stanley, about a boy who flattens himself out and mails himself around the world. So Talia's class made flat versions of themselves, to send around all year. So we had her along with us.

I wanted to take her to Easter Island last fall, but someone didn't get her to us in time! Australia was a decent consolation prize for her, I guess.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks JP .... thought so.

The suite we used every year prior to Singapore becoming “more than just a stopover” looked over your piccy position. Brought back memories. :) We use to spend three weeks every year just getting a ferry somewhere and walking when it was non-walking weather back home. I think we miss it. We’d see our ferry head in and then just take the lift down and wander round. It was a great balcony!

6fbeaa23d2f87374ff22dd5ad1e14dde.jpg

1e02551c50953f11f9e32f33d182b3ea.jpg

dc010183e322c8766a3fc319365e7363.jpg

b508bb129230283aa37ecab980cfedc5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk