Princess....Amber Cove port

oratheeexplorer

I understand Amber Cove is more of a Carnival Cruise Port. However, our Royal Princess cruise, departing 11/25/17 (5 day) can not stop at Grand Turk, because of damage from the hurricanes. They have changed that stop to Amber Cove. Is there anyone that recently was on Princess that stopped at Amber Cove?

I am wondering about 2 of Princess's excursions they offer. The Deluxe Catamaran Sail & Snorkel, and the Outback Terracross Adventure. They are 2 very different excursions. All I've read is that the water on Amber Cove is brown and not clear. The description for the Sail & Snorkel says it takes you to a Bay that is clear and has very colorful fish and coral. I've heard of other people that have done this type of thing on other ports and had a blast. You are served lunch and rum punch on the catamaran also. The Outback Terracross Adventure, is 2 people on 1 ATV, with a guide, you get muddy and all that fun stuff. Something different.

Does anyone have any info on either of these excursions through Princess?

I can't see spending all the time at the pool area at the port when you can stay on the ship and enjoy a pool. Although there are 2 waterslides at no additional cost and unlimited zipline for $20 for the day.

I know Princess just started this port because of itinerary changes from the hurricane damage. Hopefully someone will have some info regarding these excursions.

Thanks in advance!

Amber Cove was always on the 11/25 itinerary. When Princess cancelled the stop at Grand Turk, Princess Cay was substituted. The order of stops was changed I am sure because Princess Cay is a routine stop for many Princess ships.

Amber Cove in the DR was built by Carnival Corp for use by its many cruise lines like CCL and Princess. Similarly they built Mahogany Bay in Roatan and Costa Maya on the Yucatan. Amber Cove is really beautiful with a huge pool, swim up bar, restaurants, jewelry shops (can't forget those), zip line, lookout etc. There is no beach at Amber Cove so you have to get an excursion to one. This is a relatively new port and Princess just started calling there. While per usual there are excursions from the port, we just hung around the port and had a great time. Don't sell the port short.

We were in Amber Cove last December on the Regal. We just walked outside the port entrance and picked up a tour from one of the many vendors offering tours. We had a nice tour of the nearby town, time on the ocean promenade and at the fort.

We added on (extra expense, I think $8pp) the gondola ride up into the mountains--very spectacular. The tour was about $30 and was good; the driver's English was a little lacking but we got along fine. We hadn't been to the DR before so it was a good introduction

We spent an hour or so at the pool afterwards, which was enough.

We were in Amber Cove last December on the Regal. We just walked outside the port entrance and picked up a tour from one of the many vendors offering tours. We had a nice tour of the nearby town, time on the ocean promenade and at the fort.

We added on (extra expense, I think $8pp) the gondola ride up into the mountains--very spectacular. The tour was about $30 and was good; the driver's English was a little lacking but we got along fine. We hadn't been to the DR before so it was a good introduction

We spent an hour or so at the pool afterwards, which was enough.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

We did the Outback Terracross Adventure when we visited Amber Cove. It was a fantastic excursion. Ours was through Carnival but I imagine it is a very similar if not the same tour. We rode the ATVs with about a 20 minute stop at the beach to cool off. When we got back to the tour home base we were served a lunch that included Dominican beer. There was a small shopping area as well. We were back to the port area with time to use the pool, shop and have a few drinks. I personally would not stay the entire day in the port area.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app