An Epic Cruise with Walking Difficulties

Wow, interesting: or driver/guide (and his 8pax Mercedes van) said he had to meet us outside the area.

Next time we are in Livorno we will book with someone who knows the score.

We have used 2 separate companies from Livorno and both met us outside ship

Last company Rome car tours was the one which told us about permits for smaller vans

Wonder whether it’s s cost issue that your company didn’t want to pay

There were several different companies holding up name boards on the pier

Isn’t this the great thing about cruise critic the info you can pick up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great review. I have a challenge walking and will be doing a Baltic cruise and Mediterranean cruise next year. I really appreciate the info!

We are also doing Baltic cruise next July

Presume you know you don’t have to obtain.a visa for st Petersburg or take the ships tours

The small independent companies provide same visa waiver as ships ones but a much better experience especially if you have mobility issues

We are also doing Baltic cruise next July

Presume you know you don’t have to obtain.a visa for st Petersburg or take the ships tours

The small independent companies provide same visa waiver as ships ones but a much better experience especially if you have mobility issues

We are on the June sailing next year. I am aware of the visa issue for SPB. As a matter of fact, I have already contacted 7 different companies in SPB for quotes for semi private tours (4 - 6 people). And I already have a 17 page document that I created for excursions at each port, transportation, tipping etc. as will as for my post cruise wanderings.

We are on the June sailing next year. I am aware of the visa issue for SPB. As a matter of fact, I have already contacted 7 different companies in SPB for quotes for semi private tours (4 - 6 people). And I already have a 17 page document that I created for excursions at each port, transportation, tipping etc. as will as for my post cruise wanderings.

And I thought I was organised lol

The only place that I may do an NCL excursion would be Sweden. And that is only if we end up docking in Nynashamn. Otherwise they are all easy to do by yourself or take an organized tour like in SPB. On the Mediterranean cruise, I am looking into the ships excursions right now. Then I will look at good private ones if they are available. Any advice on an Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise or the Spirit in general? I see that you sailed on her relatively recently. Then I will shut up and not hijack this thread any more.

The only place that I may do an NCL excursion would be Sweden. And that is only if we end up docking in Nynashamn. Otherwise they are all easy to do by yourself or take an organized tour like in SPB. On the Mediterranean cruise, I am looking into the ships excursions right now. Then I will look at good private ones if they are available. Any advice on an Eastern Mediterranean/Greek Isles cruise or the Spirit in general? I see that you sailed on her relatively recently. Then I will shut up and not hijack this thread any more.

Lol glad you are finding it useful info

If you look at the reviews link below my signature I did reviews along similar line on both spirit and jade which were eastern med and Greece

Day 6 Cannes Friday 8am to 6pm

We decided to make this a rest day as Cannes is a hassle with tender port and we had been ashore on a previous cruise and nothing much of interest to us

However a lie in was difficult with tender announcements being piped into cabin every so often

I eventually crawled out of bed and headed to the Thermal Spa intending to venture further than the loungers on aft balcony and even get my costume wet in the jacuzzis

However as they often do on port days there was an Epic spa special of $139 -saving of $125 with 75 minutes consisting of full body massage foot and ankle massage scalp massage and mini facial

Now that’s got my name on it!

I asked about availability and there was a slot available in one hour-would have been rude to decline!

Anyway was in serious danger of leaving the ship with a zero balance as had used OBC for my Thermal spa pass and DSC was prepaid. The UBP was a perk and as booked in UK no extra 18%gratuities to pay

6 had already expressed surprise that I hadn’t booked a massage yet

So I relaxed in spa for an hour and Pamela came to find me for my treatment-the treatment room had floor to ceiling windows with wonderful view of sea and blue skies.

75 minutes later I was feeling wonderfully relaxed and able to head off any post treatment hard sell by agreeing Elemis are wonderful products and I can get them easily with my daughters staff discount[true]

I set off to find 6 by systematically searching out each bar starting from high deck levels and working way down

He made it easy by sitting at pool bar being topped up with Rebellious Fish by an attentive bar waitress

He had headed for breakfast in O Sheehans and been asked by hostess if he minded being seated with others-sure he said and was seated with2 Australians and later their 2 friends

He had a really lively conversation with them but nobody came to take order so eventually he said great chatting with you but am moving on

There is definitely a service issue In O Sheehans-our friend Albanus needs to be moved there to crack the whip!

We had the contact number of food and beverage manager from meet and greet but didn’t feel naming and shaming O Sheehans staff and the useless circling bar waitress in Cavern Club was appropriate use of that number

However we left it as guest feedback

His plan was to find a spot with decent wifi to upload photos from camera to tablet. It is very patchy throughout the ship and in fact we had 30 mins free internet usage as platinum perks which we never used.

Sitting with him at pool deck was conscious that was sat in sun with massage oils on me and need to return to cabin to put on sunscreen

Found letter on bed about disembarkation info

We had included ship transfer to airport and luggage labels enclosed

However we would need to disembark by 8.15 and with a 15.30flight that’s a long time to kill at the airport

The shore excursions options for flights after 3pm were level 2 and no interest anyway on struggling to keep up with walking tour round Barcelona which we had already explored

Barcelona Day tours the most popular private tour operator had already said there wasn’t enough time for an outside Barcelona tour with dropoff at airport

So we decided that we would take advantage of our platinum status to get priority labels to get off ship when we wanted. Our luggage would be in closest area and we could get off ship as late as possible and get taxi to airport-10am is still better than 8am with hours to kill

In other words we didn’t use any of NCL included transfers

Slapping on some sun screen headed back up to find 6 still being chatted up by bar waitress keeping him topped up with rebellious fish!

And it had started to cloud over-typical!

We were just commenting that we had bumped into same people from meet and greet but others we had not seen again-perhaps they saw us first and ran the other way!

Just then we spotted someone who had same birthday as 6 with his wife and they didn’t run fast enough so we had a quick chat

At 2pm the ship was still fairly quiet with plenty of sunlounges on pool deck

We headed back to cabin to chill out

We had not really used balcony so far as was in shade most of time apart from as a ceiling to floor picture window

We realised that our cabin 9222 is one of those on decks 8 and 9 which is exposed to cabins above

Pros

More sun exposure if want that

Full view from cabin as no roof above to restrict view

Cons

No privacy

Had a proper read of freestyle daily and noted that NCL have started an informal 18-21 year old meet up at 9.30 in Bliss

We sailed with our daughter when she was 18 which is legal drinking age in UK

We signed the waiver for her to purchase beer and wine but she was a bit shy about heading off by herself.She met up with 2 other girls of a similar age at meet and greet and they agreed to meet up each night before heading to nightclub. They connected with a really great group of young adults who met up throughout the cruise-good to see NCL have facilitated this as they are between teen clubs and full adult status

We had our second platinum meal booked for Modernos 7.30 aka death by meat

Within a few rounds I was completely stuffed and had to turn the card from green to red!

We bumped into a couple from meet and greet who shall remain anonymous but gave me permission to share the following tale

In several European cities there are free standing toilet cubicles in public places which you access via a 50 cents coin and it self cleans before being ready for the next person

In Cannes our friends saw a couple come out and decided to save themselves 50 cents by nipping in after them.

She was in a vunerable position squatted over the toilet with her tights around her ankles when the lights went out and the toilet started retracting into the wall

Then the cleaning cycle started and soaking wet ankles!

Her husband was frantically trying to get the door open to insert coin and she’s screaming at him-no…. don’t want to be exposed to world outside like this!

When the doors did automatically open at end of cycle they were soaking wet and had to get back to ship like that

Lesson learned always use a coin but a hilarious story to tell!

After that anything else is an anti-climax so just to say called relatively early night 11.45

Edited by fabnfortysomething
spacing

Yes, in the UK at least a costume in this context is a bathing suit. My US friends would call it a one piece I believe. We’d say costume or swimming costume in the UK :)

OP, I’m loving the review, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Great review! One question... I assume that a "costume" is a bathing suit??? That finally sunk in the last time you mentioned one.

lol another example of American English vs Uk English

costume/bathing suit

lift/elevator

walking stick/cane

toilets/restroom

escalators are the moving metal steps up and down-what do you call them?

any other language interpretations please ask

Day 7 Marseilles 7-4

It was dark and cool out but forecast sunny and 17 degrees centigrade 63 fahrenheit

As a compromise I’ll take 2 sweatshirts out with me today to layer up

Meeting up with J and S in the atrium we were just in time to see the large group of Asians departing with their tour guide

We had noted travel agent stickers on a lot of cabin doors and we kept seeing these large parties around the ship-not a problem apart from they all moved en masse then you risked being mown over!

We used Provence wine tours a few years ago when port of call Toulon and we visited 3 wineries, the fishing village of Cassis and drive around to a spectacular overview of whole of bay

Today was 2 wineries and visit to town of Aix en Provence

To do as a private tour and fill van with 8 people would have been 85 euros each but were unable to get more than 2 others to join us within cut off time so swapped to small group tour where the company filled seats and we were charged 97 euros perperson.

We met our guide Eric 8.30 at pier with our other tourmates who had contacted the ship directly-a father and daughter from same ship but not on cruise critic

With 6 of us in van that left 2 spare places and I felt 8 would have been too cramped. We met Gaetane co owner of the company who had been our guide last time-she mainly deals with admin side now but was there to check their vans were united with drivers and passengers.

We headed to the first winery via countryside and introduced to the owner who retired as a pharmacist and decided to run a small winery

We all tasted samples of the wines apart from the father-his daughter said she would drink his share-that’s my type of girl!

Eric had an extensive knowledge of wine making but unfortunately was a bit overkill

At the first winery he detailed the process but repeated at the second one and we just wanted to taste the wines lol

We then headed to Aix en Provence a large University town and dropped off by old town-a tree lined avenue with a street market going onselling the usual stuff

Father and daughter went off to eat at a local restaurant their friends had recommended and our core group of tour buddies went off sidestreets in hope of lucking out with a small café as we did in Lucca.

We did indeed find an outside café and ordered coffees and an Italian burger

Coffees arrived promptly but the burger took a lot longerand when it arrives consisted of a ham sandwich with side salad drenched in salad dressing[i like my salad plain].Was I being strange in imagining that an Italian burger would consist of a beefburger?

Fortunately didn’t cost much and we enjoyed the coffee.

We wandered back to the meeting point near a fountain for agreed time of 2.15 to be safe to get back to ship for 3

Eric turned up 2.20pm but father and daughter were a few minutes late-they had been waiting for the bill in the restaurant. Eric said this is something to look out for in French restaurants -start asking for the bill at least 30 mins before you plan to leave and keep reminding!

We were back safely at ship 3pm after a quick trip along motorway/highway

I would class this tour as OK-it was a disappointment compared to the one with same company a few years ago .Main reason was Aix wa sjust not as picturesque as Cassis and felt more info than we required about wine making. Certainly our wine tasting in Italy had been a much better experience .Anyway 6 informs me not to book anymore wine tasting tours .Ok on return home changed tour with Barcelona day tours for disembarkation in Barcelona after transatlantic next April from Montserra tand Cava winery to Girona and Costa Brava scenic tour.

Back on board our winning Escape the Big Top team had arranged to meet in atrium for the 4pm final Bingo game we had the free cards for.

We didn’t win and am unlikely to ever play again-long drawn out process and sorry but Bingo bores me-where’s my rebellious fish?

Sailaway was an hour late at 5pm and it was pretty windy

We had arranged with several roll callers to meet up atSpice H2O with our free bottles “champagne” and toast end of cruise-7 days is just not long enough

It was too windy up there so congregated on the padded loungers at the marketplace just outside lifts/elevators and polished off the fizz-it definitely tastes better mixed with orange juice!

Back to cabin to shower and pack and leave cases outside in corridor for collection

Always a risky process after alcohol as only too easy to pack something you will need in carry on in morning.

We headed up to garden café to eat but it was very rocky up there and 6 was in need of a nap so after a quick bite headed back via a bar for me to grab a glass of wine so I read my kindle and sipped at that whilst 6 took a nap/snored for England.

10.30 he was still asleep so got ready for bed at which point he wakes up and announces ready to go out again!

So I got dressed again and we headed to Maltings-however within a few minutes I realised I had already wound down and ready for bed so left him to it

I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow and slept through R ringing cabin and saying where he would be that night.I also slept through 6 coming in 1am and playing back message-wonder whether would have slept through general alarm!

Apparntly 6 did meet up with R and A and had “mens talk”

Just as well I had gone to bed early as would have hated to stop this male bonding experience.

spacing

Another fan here! Really enjoying your review. Your writing style reminds me of an author I enjoy, Elizabeth Peters. She writes a series with a character called Amelia Peabody. You should check her out, you'd probably enjoy her books.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

Another fan here! Really enjoying your review. Your writing style reminds me of an author I enjoy, Elizabeth Peters. She writes a series with a character called Amelia Peabody. You should check her out, you'd probably enjoy her books.

Looking forward to the rest of your review!

I will check that author out

final chapter coming up

Disembarkation and getting home

Clocks went back an hour for daylight savings time so had a little extra time to sleep in but they still wanted you out of the cabin by 8

Looking round empty room reminded me of a scene on the first day

A guy was loudly complaining in the corridor to a ships officer that there were no coat hangers in his wardrobe and this was absolutely ridiculous

The left hand side wardrobe next to balcony is narrow but has a rail and true no coathangers

HOWEVER the main wardrobe is much bigger and loads of coathangers

I imagine his face was a bit red when this was shown to him!

And I realised what I had packed in suitcase rather than left out for hand luggage-my blood pressure medication!

We collected our hand luggage and headed to O Sheehans for breakfast

However bumped into one of our cruisecritic friends and stopped to chat

Several others came by including the daughter from yesterdays wine trip

This had been a very sociable cruise!

In O Sheehans we were seated next to A and another family we hadn’t seen since meet and greet so more chatting

We had a leisurely breakfast and made our way off the ship9.30 where we parted company with A who was staying in a hotel near the port for the night before flying home

Last seen walking over the long bridge from the port pulling his case as we overtook in taxi heading for the airport.

There was a long line taxis which took 20 mins to get to front then a fixed 39 euro price and we were at airport 10.30

Checked in at British Airways and she rang for wheelchair assistance.

A Spanish lady arrives with manual wheelchair and bundles 6 into it and takes off at a fast pace across the airport. Oblivious passengers kept walking into her path and we discovered that expletives are universal.

We were fast tracked through security but 6 had to take off his boots and don blue plastic overshoes to walk through scanner-they were more of a tripping hazard!

She asked if he had any metal on him to which 2 metal hips was the reply

“oh you get a free massage then”

I like her sense of humour!

Unfortunately she passed us off to a colleague on other side of security.

He pointed out that as we had over 4 hours to flight it was too early to go to gate[can you imagine if we’d taken NCL transfer that would have been over 6 hours to kill!]

He suggested leaving us with the wheelchair so I could push him and use shops and restaurants pre gate .However it was very crowded and didn’t want to shop so decided to go through early and I would read my kindle and he could update his tablet.

We had to get through passport control before gate and one of the airport personnel directed us to a quick access line so I didn’t have to push him along snaking lines. Just as well as I haven’t passed my wheelchair pushing test and peoples ankles would be in danger.

Gate areas were quiet so I settled down with my kindle and 6 having discovered the wheelchair was self propelling took himself off to explore.

Parting comment ”if I’m not back in 30 mins inform next of kin”-oh wait that’s me

The gate area around us filled up and I heard a familiar voice-it was our friend who we’d bumped into on way to breakfast who was on the earlier Gatwick flight-cant get rid of some people!

Eventually our gate was announced at 2.45 and we made ourselves known to the desk.

Wheelchair assistance turned up to push to aircraft for priority boarding so could get settled and no need to push past others to find our seats.

At the other end in Gatwick we waited till everyone else off plane and found 2 guys waiting for us with a manual chair which they pushed up the bridge and then transferred to a buggy for a thrill ride round the corridors of the airport. We were chatting all the way to baggage claim about cruising and one of them recognised our accent as he moved from our area 30 years previously

This time baggage still on revolving carousel and one guy insisted in collecting it for me and then loaded it onto the buggy and dropped us off at outskirts of airport just over the road to our hotel-now that’s service!

Back at Hilton hotel the long slope up to hotel entrance was much easier because of the energy conserved by wheelchair assistance

We checked in and got a paid upgrade to executive room .An extra £47 but worth it as includes aperitifs between 6.30-8.30-cant go cold turkey from UBP

Also continental breakfast served in executive lounge-due to early flight hadn’t been able to take advantage on way out.

However first priority a shower!

We headed to executive lounge 6pm-too early for drinks reception but fresh orange juice available which was most appreciated .Is it justme but the orange juice on board just doesn’t appeal to my tastebuds?

Sure enough 6.30 the booze comes out and staff brings out snacks-soup and nibbles.

One guy must have thought he was on a cruise ship as he piled his plate high!

Nothing appealed to me so headed down to sports bar 8.30 fo rfish and chips and then a few paid drinks before bed taking in the atmosphere of fellow travellers winding down or frazzled as they check in.

Next morning we had a lie in and breakfast in executive lounge before checking out 10am and walking over to the train station attached to the airport .It’s a longer walk than you think but helped by the moving footway

6 was a bit confused as to which train we should take as he typed into app on his phone Gatwick to Kings cross and was suggesting train to Victoria and then tube to Kings Cross-no not a good idea with luggage andwalking difficulties

Instead take Thameslink train to St Pancras and walk directly over road to Kings Cross

You can tell 6 doesn’t travel on trains very often-he was looking on boards for trains to St Pancras-no Bedford is final destination you have to look for calling points in between

Trust me darling husband who is the travel planner here!

At St Pancras the elevator to ground level wasn’t working so had to take luggage on escalator-not too bad as was quiet.

Walking over to Kings Cross we found the information point to check in for special assistance for our 1pm pre booked train

We had first class tickets so lady suggested we go to VirginEast coast first class lounge where someone would escort us to train when time came.

We got a disabled persons railcard £20 for a year which entitles 6 and an escorting person 1/3 off fares so first class at this time was a bargain

We enjoyed some hot drinks in the lounge and 12.40 a lady turned up with a wheelchair and guided us via elevators down to the train where we pre boarded so could get settled and get luggage in racks

First class includes a hot meal and alcohol during the week so another gradual weaning off UBP with a glass of white wine.

At Darlington station we thought we would manage our own luggage off but as the doors opened a station employee was standing there to help us get our cases off.

6 dad was waiting to taxi us back home

It was blue skies but 7 degrees centigrade-44 fahrenheit

Tour mates take note I needed my sweatshirt and lightcoat-you would need your thick winter coat!!!

spacing