Just Back from Oosterdam

Polecat

Mrs. Polecat and I just returned from a great week on the Oosterdam. We were part of a 600 passenger contingent on the "Jewels of Jazz" cruise. We drove to San Diego from Phoenix and used the San Diego Airport Parking facility. It was only $47.50 for the week and worked out great. They shuttled us to and from the dock with no problems. The new dining procedure was no problem at all. For the early seating you arrive anytime between 5:30 and 6:00 and have a casual dinner. They were still selling the soda stickers for $28 for unlimited sodas. Most of the time they gave me a full can with a glass of ice.

The service and food were excellent as usual.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Several questions:

With the new dining schedule, is it possible to eat at 8:00 (or so) at the same time, same table, same tablemates, same waitstaff every night?

Does the onboard store still sell alcohol for in-room consumption, or is room service/ships services the only option for that?

With the soda card, are you supposed to get a can, or is it for fountain drinks?

Thanks.

We were at the same table every night as were all the people sitting around us. We had the same table mates and wait staff every night. Dining was just like normal, except your starting time was a little more flexible.

It is my understanding that you could only purchase liquor in the ship store to be taken home. You couldn't pick it up until the last day of the cruise.

Whether a can or a glass was served with the soda sticker seemed to be up to the bartender. Most of the time I was given the whole can, but once in a while they gave me a glass drawn from the fountain drink spigot of the bar.

You can order alcohol for room consumption by calling ship services and pre-ordering - it will be in your room when you get on the ship.

Or wait until you are on the ship and either call room service or go to any bar tender to get what you want. They will add on a 15% gratuity whether you order from service or get it from a bar tender.

Since we were part of a large group (600), and we had scheduled entertainment for our group, we were all assigned the early seating with specific tables. We were there with my 2 brothers and their wives and we were assigned a table together.

Incidently, we brought 3 bottles of wine from home on board with no problem and consumed it in our room.

and is not due until April 2006. I just got home from the Zuiderdam on Saturday, and considering the Oosterdam since my sis lives on the West Coast. If my sis does not end up booking, I will probably rebook the Zuiderdam, solo, for March. Did you use the spa? Is there the pool & thermal suite. I am alittle disappointed about the SOE program not being completed on the Oosterdam. The Zuiderdam is in drydock NOW after our sailing. How were the beds? Thanks for any info.

Marie

We did not use the spa, however we did see the pool and thermal suite that you asked about. There is also a very well equipped and spacious gym. The beds are unbelievably comfortable. They are Sealy Ultra Plush Pillow Tops. Several people on the cruise raved about them.

Archived