Alaska with 18 year old grandson

nana51

I have decided to take my grandson on his first cruise next year. He wants to go to Alaska. As I’m not rich I’m only doing 7 Days. My question is would an inside passage give me the most bang for my buck or a regular one way from Vancouver to Anchorage. He loves spending time with me as he has Aspergers and isn’t embarrassed to be with his nana. He won’t be hiding in the room with his phone. He is a straight A student in all AP classes and deserves this

Vancouver to Anchorage would be nice IF you can spend some extra time on land. There are some opportunities for sightseeing in Seward that he might enjoy. Exit Glacier, Seavy Sled Dog Kennels, Kenai Fjords.

Otherwise Vancouver to Vancouver would be preferred for the beautiful views sailing inside Vancouver Island. If you only have 7 days this would be very educational and the easiest to plan. Choose an itinerary with Glacier Bay since it is a National Park and the rangers will come onboard to narrate the experience. Skagway is also a National Park and a provides a great learning experience about the gold rush in Alaska and the Yukon.

Before you decide RT or one-way check out the flights you would need. I've read a LOT of posts on the Alaska forum that speak of very late night flights out of Anchorage.

Also check on flying San Diego to Seattle, then taking a bus or train to Vancouver. Also if you decide on the RT from Vancouver, check on that for going home, too.

You want this to be an enjoyable trip, so minimizing travel aggravation is a good place to start :) imho

edited to add: if you decide to do a RT, definitely consider Vancouver as your embark/disembark port. The scenery is wonderful, and it usually offers lots of opportunities to see whales from the ship.

7 day RT inside passage from Seattle is pretty incredible cruise, too! If you did this one, you could spend some time in Seattle visiting the sites including the beautiful Univ.of Wash campus - an 18 year old student might enjoy checking out the UW for possible college plans!

Thanks for all the advice. He has already decided which college he is going to, looks like it’ll be Reed in Portland

for him next September. I’ll go over the ideas with him before I make a final decision thank you again for your advice

We enjoy the Inside Passage, and the water is generally a lot calmer than the other routes. There is a lot of excursions to go on, and you can see wildlife from the ship. I'm sure whatever route you choose, you will have a wonderful time.

You will likely find that a R/T cruise will involve shorter airfare.

In addition the benefit for ending in Anchorage (not a R/T cruise) would be to spend time on land in Alaska and Anchorage is not where I would spend time. This would add cost.

For a first time visit to Alaska and to minimize expenses I would highly recommend a R/T inside passage cruise.

Keith

Nana 51 I took my then 17-year old nephew to Alaska in 1999 on the Veendam. He has Aspergers. He was so enthralled with the ship that I don't know if he noticed Alaska! But he still talks about the trip. I'm sure your grandson will have a wonderful and memorable trip whatever itinerary you choose. Enjoy your cruise.

I think I will do a art from Seattle. Inside cruise perhaps. I can get cheap flights out of San Diego. Thanks everyone.

Nana, this is your best option! Get to Seattle at least one day in advance and plan some activities there the night before... well worth the extra night's expense.

Now spend some time examining the shore excursions you can afford and will enjoy. In Juneau there is an inexpensive shuttle you can take to Mendenhall Glacier and spend at least half a day there for little or no cost.

Ketchikan is a good shopping port. There is a free rainforest park that is very walkable in Sitka, in addition to some shopping, etc. downtown. The Bald Eagle Sanctuary is impactful. Try a reindeer hot dog for a memory lunch! Bring back some canned salmon to make treats that will remind you of your cruise long into the future.

If you need winter/rainwear, go shopping in your first port of call. We were amazed at the nice prices/value. Don't pack and lug around heavy jackets, and the logo-wear will also provide a good souvenir. The later in the season you sail, the cheaper the prices!

I hope you both have a very memorable experience... Alaska is a great cruise. <3