Gaining time-our TA from Barcelona

Cruz4Sun

Royal Princess – Oct 21-Nov 5,2017 Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale

This was the second TA voyage for my DH and me. Unlike the last time,we decided to make sure our long flight to Europe and jet lag would be on the front end of the trip. This worked out much better, although gaining an hour 7 times in one cruise is still a lot of changing.

We spent 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Continental Barcelona. We choose this to meet up with many fellow cruisers and to be in a great walking section of the city. We really enjoyed our stay but found the hotel had way too many stairs and trip hazards to want to stay there again. We enjoyed our half day tour of the city with Spain Day Tours.

Embarkation was exceptionally smooth. An arranged bus picked us up at the hotel before noon and the check in was quick. After getting our cruise cards we went to the duty free shop for 2 bottles of wine to take on board. By 12:15 we were seated in the Concerto dining room having a lovely lunch. Thank goodness we relaxed that evening because the next day started the port intensive portion of the trip.

Valencia: The ship tour Beer Lover’s Taste Valencia was fun and the beer was good.

Cartegena: We did a private tour using QualityGuidedTours.com with 2 other couples. Although the tour was not quite as promised,we did very much enjoy the visit to Cabo de Palos and the delicious wine and tapas at an old winery.

Gibraltar: Five couples joined us for a do it yourself pub crawl. We took the port authority shuttle to Casement Square and visited 1 pub for a Fish and Chips lunch that was excellent and 2 other pubs for drinks. A good time was had by all!

Cadiz: We did a private tour with one other couple using carlos@toursfromcadiz.com. We visited the lovely village of Arcos de Frontera,stopping for coffee and at an artist’s shop where we each purchased some unique souvenirs. Next was a visit to the Royal Equestrian School where we were able to see some Andalusian horses in training. Then we stopped at a café for wine and tapas where we had some wonderful and unusual food. Lastly we stopped at Sandeman to sample their well known sherry. Such a great day and tour guide!

Santa Cruz De Tenerife: We took the Teide and North tour along with 6 other people from tour company Feel Tenerife. We loved the tour of this interesting volcanic island. We stopped at many photo stops and then went to a café to enjoy a barriquito, the most delicious coffee we have ever had! Then we proceeded to Monje Winery for a tour followed by an incredible meal of local dishes with wine.

Finally the tours were done and we had 7 sea days. Besides relaxing we went to a Winemaker’s Dinner, Stammtisch and a slot pull. We watched movies, swam, played games and went to nightly entertainment. The days flew by even though the clock was moved back one hour almost nightly.

We loved this trip and have already booked a transatlantic for next year!

This was the second TA voyage for my DH and me. Unlike the last time,we decided to make sure our long flight to Europe and jet lag would be on the front end of the trip. This worked out much better, although gaining an hour 7 times in one cruise is still a lot of changing.

We spent 2 nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Continental Barcelona. We choose this to meet up with many fellow cruisers and to be in a great walking section of the city. We really enjoyed our stay but found the hotel had way too many stairs and trip hazards to want to stay there again. We enjoyed our half day tour of the city with Spain Day Tours.

Embarkation was exceptionally smooth. An arranged bus picked us up at the hotel before noon and the check in was quick. After getting our cruise cards we went to the duty free shop for 2 bottles of wine to take on board. By 12:15 we were seated in the Concerto dining room having a lovely lunch. Thank goodness we relaxed that evening because the next day started the port intensive portion of the trip.

Valencia: The ship tour Beer Lover’s Taste Valencia was fun and the beer was good.

Cartegena: We did a private tour using QualityGuidedTours.com with 2 other couples. Although the tour was not quite as promised,we did very much enjoy the visit to Cabo de Palos and the delicious wine and tapas at an old winery.

Gibraltar: Five couples joined us for a do it yourself pub crawl. We took the port authority shuttle to Casement Square and visited 1 pub for a Fish and Chips lunch that was excellent and 2 other pubs for drinks. A good time was had by all!

Cadiz: We did a private tour with one other couple using carlos@toursfromcadiz.com. We visited the lovely village of Arcos de Frontera,stopping for coffee and at an artist’s shop where we each purchased some unique souvenirs. Next was a visit to the Royal Equestrian School where we were able to see some Andalusian horses in training. Then we stopped at a café for wine and tapas where we had some wonderful and unusual food. Lastly we stopped at Sandeman to sample their well known sherry. Such a great day and tour guide!

Santa Cruz De Tenerife: We took the Teide and North tour along with 6 other people from tour company Feel Tenerife. We loved the tour of this interesting volcanic island. We stopped at many photo stops and then went to a café to enjoy a barriquito, the most delicious coffee we have ever had! Then we proceeded to Monje Winery for a tour followed by an incredible meal of local dishes with wine.

Finally the tours were done and we had 7 sea days. Besides relaxing we went to a Winemaker’s Dinner, Stammtisch and a slot pull. We watched movies, swam, played games and went to nightly entertainment. The days flew by even though the clock was moved back one hour almost nightly.

Thanks for the review. Trans-Atlantic's wesbound remain one of our our favorites. We do like that there is a long sea day voyage to unwind from a rather hectic port intensive Euro trip. I believe that Princess does a bit of a better job than Celebrity, the other line we tend to prefer, in including more ports on the front end of the trans-Atlantics.

Is your hotel in Las Ramblas and was there any concern on the political situation reported in the news.

We also like sea days and glad you enjoyed your TA.

Yes, the hotel was right on Las Ramblas. We saw lots of police on the streets, but other than that we experienced no problems.

I can't believe I neglected to include our last port, Lanzarote.

At Lanzorte we did a small bus tour with Lanzarote Experience Tours. This too was very interesting but different from Tenerife. We loved the visit to the Timanfaya National Park and our camel ride.

. . .

Thanks so much for your review! We were supposed to be on that cruise but had to cancel. Even though we've been in the Mediterranean multiple times, all the Spanish ports except for Barcelona would have been new for us, so we'll have to try again! We were in Gibraltar a few years ago, but never to the Canaries (Tenerife).

Barb, a fellow Michigander (Oakland Co.)

Thanks for your review.

I was just looking at Barcelona hotels for our cruise next summer and this was one that I was looking at. What did you mean by too many stairs? Were there no elevators in the hotel?

Thanks. :)

There was one tiny elevator that went down to street level. When a group of us were leaving to board our prearranged bus to the port several people had to carry their bags down the very narrow, winding stairs. Also, there are steps between the dining area, the buffet, the beverage area and the outdoor patio. These are very poorly marked and I thought right away how easy it would be to fall going from one level to another. I warned my husband, but sure enough on day 2 he fell when he didn't see the step coming in from the patio. He bruised his shoulder and ribs, but other than that was ok.

Thanks so much for your review! We were supposed to be on that cruise but had to cancel. Even though we've been in the Mediterranean multiple times, all the Spanish ports except for Barcelona would have been new for us, so we'll have to try again! We were in Gibraltar a few years ago, but never to the Canaries (Tenerife).

Barb, a fellow Michigander (Oakland Co.)

Barb,

So sorry you weren't able to make this trip. I would do these ports again in a heartbeat.