Koningsdam's Flaws/What Can Nieuw Statendam Improve Upon?

stickey_mouse

The Wonder is an older ship. The Little Mermaid was in the Buena vista theater. We saw a 1st run movie in the Walt Disney Theater where they put on the shows.
The Magic is the oldest Disney ship, on which we saw a first-run movie, in 3D, in all its glory, in the Buena Vista Theater. I know the Disney product quite well, and their movie theaters are equipped with what regular, on-land theaters have. It's usually not a DVD player with projector set-up. Perhaps it was broken when you went.

We just got off the Koningsdam last Friday and I don't think this has been mentioned. In the Lido buffet, there is no pass-thru in the middle part of the area to get to the other side. So, you either have to go almost to the lido pool doors to get to the other side or go all the way to the back elevator bank to get to the other side. Very poor design. And, trust me, to get everything you want for your meal, you will be going to about 3-4 different stations.

We just got off the Koningsdam last Friday and I don't think this has been mentioned. In the Lido buffet, there is no pass-thru in the middle part of the area to get to the other side. So, you either have to go almost to the lido pool doors to get to the other side or go all the way to the back elevator bank to get to the other side. Very poor design. And, trust me, to get everything you want for your meal, you will be going to about 3-4 different stations.
How did you like the ship overall?

How ugly! It looks like an industrial hallway!

It appears that you will be somewhat shielded from the wind while walking . There were walkers using the promenade from morning till dark on our recent TA cruise so the protection from the wind would be welcomed.

Hopefully there will still be areas where the sea will still be visible.

How did you like the ship overall?

We thought it was a pretty ship and would go on her again, but still prefer the X Solstice class. We loved the Culinary Arts restaurant...very reasonably priced and a very nice selection of small and large plates. Service was very good everywhere and we applaud HAL for keeping the Dive In and New York Pizza and Deli in the cruise fare. They both are very good options...especially since the Lido buffet seems to close mid-afternoon when you get back from excursions. I personally missed loungers on the promenade deck but not a huge deal. Have really liked the BB King band on previous cruises but this band just did not seem to measure up.

The reason I still prefer X is their non-smoking EVERYWHERE inside the ship, the layout of their buffet, and it just seems their ships are more open. I feel more of a closed in feel because of low ceilings on the Koningsdam.

How about the exploration café? Has it changed any from what is available on other ships?

It was the same as we experienced last year on the revamped Westerdam. Had the Explorations Cafe with specialty coffee and pastry and small sandwiches. Crows Nest also had a computer area, a large area with chairs and about 8-10 big loungers, I think some game tables, a bar and then rooms that can be closed off on the port side. Did not seem to be anything going on up there...kind of miss when they had a dance floor and some entertainment in the Crows Nest.