Jewel Down Under - A live(ish) report

grozzy1

Muster was quick and painless in O'Sheehans then a quick power walk enabled me to grab a prime spot for sailaway at Great Outdoors. About a third was roped off for a private function and as a result it got quite crowded. I only briefly introduced myself to the roll call because I didn't want to lose my seat.

Departure was a bit later than expected so as soon as we got to the heads I had to go down for an appointment with Teppenyaki. The food and entertainment were great. No-one went hungry.

The night's entertainment was Illumination. Two performing an acrobatic type show. They were good but I was struggling to stay awake due to getting up so early.a4ffd4b86cb7723cefb08ba7aa07c02d.jpg80b9341cbfa2141bdc125babc5c45e29.jpgf89c73d8e9de4f67b6fa7351e73a1c0c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Day 2 Monday

I've discovered that Great Outdoors is a great place for some brekkie. You can get your food indoors our outside and finding a table is not a problem.

First up for the day was a port and excursion presentation in the theatre. There wasn't much I didn't know, but it would have been real informational to non Australians.

Meet and greet was in Les Bistro. A month ago it looked as if there wasn't enough interest but there was some late additions to make it possible. Thanks to the organisers.

Lunch was the poolside BBQ. The food was nice but finding a seat was bit of a battle.

Bingo in the afternoon was a fun way to waste money. I won a whole $1 on an instant ticket.

I decided on an early dinner at O'Sheehans. The fish and chips and apple pie were typical pub food. Straight out of a packet but they fill you up.

To finish the day, entertainment was Burn the Floor. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Which brings me to my peeve of the day. When people arrive early at the theatre why do they have to sit next to the aisle? Are they incapable of moving to the centre of the row, or just inconsiderate?6658f796a146d53054db83c44059de7a.jpg3adf3595cf3af8deae8a344d3526048b.jpg

Tuesday day 3

Today was the first port, Burnie Tasmania. No need to tender we went straight in to the dock. Burnie is a small town, the main port on the north west coast. It's mainly industry was wood pulp but that shut down and they're trying to reinvent themselves.

My chosen tour was Gunn's Plains caves and wildlife. First stop was a tour of the caves. Not too big but in great condition. Be aware that it does involve plenty of stairs and ducking your head.

Second half was just over an hour at Wings wildlife park. Highlight was the feeding of the Tasmanian devils. When they say don't lean over the fence they mean it. We then had time to browse the other animals.

Getting back to the ship there was about 2 hours free to explore Burnie.

Access to and from the dock had to be via a shuttle bus with 3 stops in town. The queues to get back on the bus started getting long but fortunately everyone seemed to make it back.cbef0ab3a4d29a84a3a94f09e7d2db61.jpg66b602de9e012a10b3ca459173453f96.jpg6bc736e4bea15b64c29d980170338c29.jpg

Just as a matter of interest- it was rumored on our sailing, the one prior to this sailing that over 500 schoolies were getting onboard for this cruise. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There doesn't appear to be any "schoolies" onboard. I don't know about NCL but other lines are very strict and don't allow unaccompanied school leavers at this time of year. They have learnt their lesson from years past.

There doesn't appear to be any "schoolies" onboard. I don't know about NCL but other lines are very strict and don't allow unaccompanied school leavers at this time of year. They have learnt their lesson from years past.

Seeing as the legal drinking age is 21 Onboard I didn’t think this would be a schoolie’s choice. Obviously just a rumour!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums