Disembarkation day in LA Late flight back to UK

Margaret Rees

can anyone offer advice what we should do on disembarkation from Star 16 Feb ? Our flight is 20.30 back to UK so we need to fill the day and will have luggage I assume unless that goes straight to airport ? Any help would be apprecated . Thanks.

Hello Margaret, we are ending up at LA on Dec. 6. My suggestion is to get a rental car from Hertz and drive around LA and Hollywood. Not enough time for the theme parks. I presume you will be flying out of LAX so return the car to the airport. A small drop off charge (less than Princess transfer for two people). Do not use Enterprise as their drop off fees are exorbitant. Hertz is a 10 minute walk from the terminal. One can go to get the car and then come back for your luggage. Also don't forget LA traffic. Visit Santa Monica or Venice Beach. Both are near the airport. Have a great time.

The easiest, least stressful option is to book a Princess tour that includes a drop off at LAX. Your bags are put on the bus with you and you get them when you're at LAX. Super easy way to waste 3-5 hrs.

Driving tips: If you're thinking about driving, make sure you're comfortable with driving on the "right" side :D of the road and are comfortable with moronic drivers on their cell phones in heavy traffic. Watch where you park too as it can be expensive and there are tow-away zones all over. Also, consider that if you rent a car from Enterprise (closest one to the port) then you're going to have to pay a $100 drop-off fee for a one-way drop at LAX. The prices below aren't with any special promos, so do a search for that before renting the car and you really need to do it in advance. This particular office gets REALLY busy and they routinely run out of cars. Their address is:

San Pedro

235 W 6th St

San Pedro, CA 90731

VEHICLE

Economy$ 34.99

Unlimited Mileage Included

TAXES & FEES

Tour rec (3.5%) $ 1.22

veh lic recovery $ 0.70

drop fee $100.00

sales tax (9.5%) $12.83

Estimated Total

$149.74

Long beach airport is about 25 mins from the port

Yes, I know. I live here.;) I doubt there's a shuttle that would take the passengers all the way to LGB to rent a car. That's a long distance. The closest 2 rental companies are Hertz (typically more expensive) and Enterprise.

Some close hotels are:

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=CITY%3A1400093%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&destination-id=1400093&q-destination=San%20Pedro,%20California,%20United%20States%20of%20America&q-check-in=2018-02-16&q-check-out=2018-02-17&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Crowne Plaza, Best Western, Doubletree by Hilton, etc.

Yes, I know. I live here.;) I doubt there's a shuttle that would take the passengers all the way to LGB to rent a car. That's a long distance. The closest 2 rental companies are Hertz (typically more expensive) and Enterprise.

Some close hotels are:

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=CITY%3A1400093%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&destination-id=1400093&q-destination=San%20Pedro,%20California,%20United%20States%20of%20America&q-check-in=2018-02-16&q-check-out=2018-02-17&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Crowne Plaza, Best Western, Doubletree by Hilton, etc.

We have picked up cars from Alamo at long beach on a number of occasions after arriving at San Pedro, taxi would be about $30. Car hire is a good price but only for non US drivers

For the last couple of times that we did that (2 weeks ago being the last time), we took a tour of Hollywood where they pick you up at San Pedro, take you to Hollywood, store your luggage, do a Hollywood tour then drop you off at LAX at 17:30. It's called a LAX Cruise Layover Tour and google can help you find how to book it $92 each.

If not then day rooms at LAX are available but not cheap, you can easily get an UBER from San Pedro to LAX for $26

Did you return the car to LGB and fly out of there? There's a hefty drop-off fee if you don't.

This would be counter-productive rfor the OP. Drive in the opposite direction of LA, pay the $30 taxi fare to get to LGB, rent the car, drive back west around LA, return car to LAX, pay the additional $100 drop-off fee, then shuttle to the terminal. Just my two cents. :)

I think the day-use hotel room is probably a good thing to do if they don't want to do a post-cruise tour with airport drop-off.

Did you return the car to LGB and fly out of there? There's a hefty drop-off fee if you don't.

This would be counter-productive rfor the OP. Drive in the opposite direction of LA, pay the $30 taxi fare to get to LGB, rent the car, drive back west around LA, return car to LAX, pay the additional $100 drop-off fee, then shuttle to the terminal. Just my two cents. :)

I think the day-use hotel room is probably a good thing to do if they don't want to do a post-cruise tour with airport drop-off.

No one way drop fees with Alamo between California, Nevada and Arizona