Shopping Mexican Riviera Ports

mcrcruiser

Some have wondered why people would worry with finding places like a Walmart instead of enjoying unique shopping at other places......usually I agree but for our family there is a reason we seek out information like this ahead. We have had luggage lost by airlines on 2 prior cruises and were left scrambling to find replacement clothes in a variety of sizes that we could still use after returning home. So we would certainly not spend vacation time rambling through Walmarts but it gives us a back up plan in case it happens again. Thanks for all the great comments on this board

• 3 weeks later...
Cabo- nice and clean port shopping area. Lots of souvenirs. A pharmacy or two. Right off the pier that the tender takes you to. Walking into town a bit gets you some tiendas and tourist stores (like diamond international).

Mazatlan- More Cruise center shopping. A whole line of pharmacies. Stores are not as clean or as organized as Cabo. In the city center there’s a bizarre type market with a food section and a clothing area. More artisan type offerings. A bit crazy and some are aggressive; but manageable. A few blocks from that there’s a flower market and a seafood market. Near the cliff divers there was a little hotel district that had nicer jewelry stores, and clothing stores, but clearly geared towards tourists.

Puerto Vallarta- there’s a Walmart across the street. and a shopping mall. I did a boat excursion this day, but PV seemed to be the most urban and developed of the three ports.

Hope this info is helpful.

San Jose del Cabo has more artisan shops, art, Oaxaca, manta, and more than the usual tourist. Its a 30 minute or more drive but lovely with old town preservation.

We live in Baja (just south of San Diego) about half the year. We, and everyone we know there, love to vacation in Puerto Vallarta: great restaurants, great shops (aside from Wallmart), friendly people, nice vibes. For us, Cabo is too much a resort town planned for tourists, and Matzalan just doesn't have enough for an extended visit--Puerto Vallarta is perfect.

;)The souvenir industry in Mexico for the most part is owned by the same company. Product is shipped from a central area. Prices are set by the company, vendors are employed by the co. This is why wherever you go you begin to notice it all looks alike. Yes there are a few exception, these people have been grandfathered in and are allowed to compete with the Co. This is the same in the caribbean and various countries.:confused:

What company is that? I want to avoid them! When I travel I want to experience the local culture.

I do actually like to shop from the beach vendors in Mexico. I find them very convenient. That said, I'm willing to travel for something unique, like the aforementioned Huichol art.