Overnight Venice-How early can we walk of ship for flight?

llarsen

Hello,

We will be overnight in Venice. There is a very early 7:45am flight that we are considering.

Can we walk off with our bags at 3:00am?

(I would search this but my Search tool is not working :-(

Thank you!

We disembarked at 5:30 am, no issues. We wheeled our own bags off the ship and had a private transfer waiting.

FYI- in Europe airport counters don’t open until an hour to hour and a half before the flight. There won’t be any traffic that early. Drive time is fifteen to twenty minutes.

I would not disembark as early as you are planning.

Thank you very much!

So many helpful people here on CC. We would have arrived at the airport way too early!

Yes, we planned to walk off with our luggage and have a driver waiting.

There is a later BA flight out of Venice at 1:10pm which connects to the same Air New Zealand flight in LHH to LAX as the 7:45am flight. The 1:10pm flight out of Venice is the flight we planned on taking, but when I called ANZ they told me that they cannot book that 1:10pm flight, only the 7:45am flight due to some restrictions they must follow (had nothing to do with layover time, it arrives in plenty of time for connection)

The 1:10pm flight is available on other booking sites, so we may just book it through one of them. I'm just a little hesitant because when I told ANZ the 1:10pm to LHR is available with the AirNZ connection to LAX, she said something like...Well, just because you see it doesn't mean it's bookable.

We've had flights get cancelled before...no fun. So I think I will call BA in the morning and ask about it. I really don't want to take the 7:45am flight unless there is no other option.

Thanks!

Within Europe - even if with a connecting flight which is inter-continental - check in time is 1 hour before. And the check in counters normally open 2 hours before. So an 0745 flight - don't get to the airport before about 0615. We were just in Venice and used Venice Quality Transfers to get us from the Mestre station to our ship. Good service. The person I worked with on this was Trisha Perolari at VQT. They are more expensive than a normal taxi but reliable. Suggest you ask Trisha what time to be collected. Your bags will be taken off at night and will be waiting for you to collect. And since the ship will have been cleared the day before - no problem in just walking off the ship before dawn!

Within Europe - even if with a connecting flight which is inter-continental - check in time is 1 hour before. And the check in counters normally open 2 hours before. So an 0745 flight - don't get to the airport before about 0615. We were just in Venice and used Venice Quality Transfers to get us from the Mestre station to our ship. Good service. The person I worked with on this was Trisha Perolari at VQT. They are more expensive than a normal taxi but reliable. Suggest you ask Trisha what time to be collected. Your bags will be taken off at night and will be waiting for you to collect. And since the ship will have been cleared the day before - no problem in just walking off the ship before dawn!

So, do you recommend NOT carrying your own bags off but having the ship's crew take them the night before? Wouldn't this (collecting the bags) take longer before getting into the cab (or car transfer)? TIA!

So, do you recommend NOT carrying your own bags off but having the ship's crew take them the night before? Wouldn't this (collecting the bags) take longer before getting into the cab (or car transfer)? TIA!

I'd let the crew take them on the night before. Not having to search for them might be marginally faster, but it also could raise red flags because bags which you keep with you won't have been inspected for entry into Italy.

I'd let the crew take them on the night before. Not having to search for them might be marginally faster, but it also could raise red flags because bags which you keep with you won't have been inspected for entry into Italy.

Thanks Jim and Stan. As long as the bags are ready for retrieval at 8am-ish, we should be able to make our Noon flight. (Fingers crossed.) We can still carry our smaller bags (the ones with stuff for the last morning) with us, right?

Cheers!

Of course. And finding bags is easy. You are given tags bythe ship which are in diferent groups. When you fill out the disembarkation questionnaire say you are leaving at 0800. Then when you get off look for the group of bags with your tag. There should be someone to direct you. Here's a tip - put a little sleeve around the handle of your bag in a bright colour. You can buy these and they attach with velcro. Then spotting the bag is easy-peasey!

Sent from my iPad using Forums