Help regarding must see ports Adriatic

mimbecky

Looking at Adriatic cruises and need some quick help as to which of these ports are must sees. Each itinerary hits mostly the same ports but each also hits one or two different ones. All are on the same ship....

Zadar, Rijeka, Split, Valletta, Catania and Bologna.

Please advise and thank you! :cool:

mimbecky

Looking at Adriatic cruises and need some quick help as to which of these ports are must sees. Each itinerary hits mostly the same ports but each also hits one or two different ones. All are on the same ship....

Zadar, Rijeka, Split, Valletta, Catania and Bologna.

Please advise and thank you! :cool:

mimbecky

Catania is the east side air/sea port for Sicily, an island that IMO should not be compared to the its mainland stepparent, Italy. From Mt Etna to the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento and back to trendy Taormina or movie set Savoca (yes, The Godfather), there is no place quite as unusual. After all, it has forever been the crossroads of the Mediterranean. For a terrific tour, check out "Sicily with Mario."

Valletta, capitol of Malta, has it's own charm and unique history framed in a walled city loaded with architectural and cultural beauty.

Interestingly, there's a building group of Oceania loyalists pressing their corporate connections for a future itinerary focused mainly on a circumnavigation of Sicily not unlike those done by some smaller mega yacht charter outfits. Given it's proximity, Malta would be a great addition to this itinerary as would the islands of Sardinia and Corsica on a somewhat extended journey.

BTW, none of the above are in the Adriatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Croatia (Split, Rijeka and Zadar) and Malta (Valetta) are certainly not to be missed...they are stunning with history and have a relaxed and quirky med charm that eludes many Italian ports in my opinion. Valetta has quite a high heritage site status for good reason.

Been to Bologna for a break and its ok although its quite inland so I guess your port would be Ravenna?Same with Sicily...its just ok. I don't think Sicily and Bologna are highlights of Italy to be honest.

Pick an itinerary that has different countries on. As much as Croatia is lovely you do not want all 3 of those ports and see no other Med countries.