Genesis of the Seas - 2009 - 240,000 tons

phlydude

Maybe they could have Empress of the Seas follow it and use Empress as a Tender !!!!

Just think how may people you could fit on Empress as a tender ship... take out all those pesky cabins and make one HUGE theater on one deck, a huge "at port" pool on another...and of course several themed bars:D

That is the total beauty of cruising in the world today...

You wanna cruise on a 3000 passenger ship, you can

You wanna cruise on a 90k ton ship, you can

You wanna cruise on a ship with 200 people on it, you can

You wanna cruise on a ship that butters your bread for you, you can

Choices are the best part of life....

I am not saying I will cruise on this "floating island", but I will keep my mind open to see what it has to offer.

I'd consider giving such a ship a spin around the Caribbean. Just imagine the Royal Promenade on that puppy, they could install a bumper car track!!! ;)

In addition to a basketball court, they could have a full size football field! I say use the non-tippers as the tackling dummies. ;)

Maybe they could have Empress of the Seas follow it and use Empress as a Tender !!!!

This sounds funny, but is actually part of the "plan" -- this 240,000 ton vessel is apparently the "mother-ship" that I posted about following our Thanksgiving cruise on Radiance. The captain talked about how it would be a floating resort and smaller cruiseliners would come to the mother-ship to take you on excursions to the islands. Empress was not mentioned in particular, but it matches the concept described...

Port Canaveral is large enough for the ship to dock there. There have been plans about a number of super ships coming into the port. I would LOVE to go on the ship, although not transatlantic.

As far as a floating city, Knut Kloster (founder of NCL) was the first to come up with the idea. I believe the original plan was called the Phoenix. The next stage was called the World City. It was a brilliant idea that perhaps was ahead of its time and technology. However, Port Canaveral included the mock-up ship when dimensioning for its 20-year plan.

If I were wealthy enough, I'd buy a condo at sea or even a timeshare at sea (as long as it had no affiliations with Carnival). I guess it just depends upon what you like.

As far as overboard passengers, each line has problems with that and has had problems for a while. On my first Carnival cruise (15+ years ago), people reported seeing a body thrown overboard. Nothing was ever done. Times have changed a little, but the cruise lines really aren't under the US jurisdiction. The only reason RCI is getting such press is that the guy that went missing is relatively wealthy. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I do wish that to some degree the cruise lines were under a little more scrutiny of the US. But I can't even begin to consider where the line would be drawn.

Unless I am mistaken, I just read about this ship being considered all the way back in the 70s. It was in the recent book on cruise corporations "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea." I believe one of the co-founders of Norweigian Cruise Lines, Knut Kloster had exactly this ship, name and all in mind. In fact he thought that the ship would have a dock to which smaller ships might come and take up or discharge passengers. The name was also "Genesis." So I think this is the origin of this rumor. Of course, to be precise, I probably should go back and check, but I just finished the book.

I prefer the Radiance and Vision class and wish they would build more of the 90K ton ships instead of these mega ships

Funny, when the Sovereign of the Seas first launched in 1988 at 73,192 tons, she was considered a massive mega ship! Now she is considered a little old lady - but a grand one at that!

This sounds funny, but is actually part of the "plan" -- this 240,000 ton vessel is apparently the "mother-ship" that I posted about following our Thanksgiving cruise on Radiance. The captain talked about how it would be a floating resort and smaller cruiseliners would come to the mother-ship to take you on excursions to the islands. Empress was not mentioned in particular, but it matches the concept described...

There was a thread about this "mother ship" concept a few weeks ago.

Sounds sort of ridiculous to me. I would board the mother ship, go to my cabin, unpack, meet my cabin steward and get a dining room table assignment. If I want to visit a port I now need to pack enough stuff for 3 or 4 days, go through an embarkation process on another ship, get another cabin, unpack again, meet new tablemates, etc. When I got back to the mother ship I would do it again and then again if I took another 3 day shore excursion and then again when finally returning to the mother ship. One of the main attractions of a cruise is getting on board and unpacking just once. Who wants to change ships and cabins multiple times. What about the logistics of a reservation. I want a balcony cabin on the mother ship but can't get one on the excursion ship since it is smaller and has less balconies and on the second excursion ship I can only get an inside cabin. I think it would be a logistical nightmare to coordinate something like this. Besides at 220,000 tons ths ship would only be about 33% bigger than Freedom so I doubt that it could be that different from a convetional cruise ship.

As of 2000, Westin had legal rights to the plan originally conceived by Knut Kloster (NCL Founder). Westin contracted with Port Canaveral to serve as the home port. The ship specifics are: GRT 250,000, Length at the waterline 1063 feet, beam 172 feet and a draft of 32.8 feet. One of my master's papers was on this ship. I did research with Port Canaveral and CH2MHill (the Port's engineering consultant) on this. The ship can be built. They are searching for financing. In 2000, the project was called America World City. You may be able to google it and find the computer rendering. Whether RCI has bought the rights to this, I am not sure. I was told a few weeks ago on the Mariner cruise (by the captain) that RCI has a larger ship than the Freedom on the drawing board.

Truly the bumper car idea would be great IMHO!

I was on the 9/11/05 sailing of the AOS and at the "Welcome Back Party" the Captain talked about the Freedom. But then he said to everyone in the room that "something more amazing than ever" is coming out in 3 years, "but don't tell anyone that I told you this secret." He then went on to talk about how he was going to retire in Baltimore City, Maryland and open a stained-glass window shop there... jAmEs

I'm sure once the PC police hear about the name, the name will be changed. Ooooh... the name Genesis would probably offend too many people. :o Heck, we can barely say "Merry Christmas" anymore without offending people. It has to be Happy Holidays now...:(

"Merry Christmas of the Seas to all and to all a good night!"

Archived