Genesis of the Seas - 2009 - 240,000 tons

phlydude

That's okay guys... if you don't want to cruise it that could mean big discounts for me!

I wonder with plans that far out if the name "genesis" isn't a code name or planning name, such that as the time draws near they can pick something more timely. For example "Liberty", "Freedom"... a theme for that class.

JC

I think it is more likely a planning name much as Ultra-Voyager, Advantage, and Eagle were project names for classes of ships which ultimately bore much different names. Once Freedom is in service we may begin to get some hints as to what will be new and different about the ships of the Genesis project besides their size.

Would love to cruise (once past the 3 week check in process in Barcelona) on a Genesis class ship - even if just for the look on my kids faces when it pulls into port!!! My 8 year old watched the Freedom leave Finland with great excitement (i.e. when are we going mum??), Glad to see Royal Caribbean be the biggest and best.

Rachel

Actually, the larger the ship the more money per passenger the cruise line makes. That is why the ships are getting bigger, not because the companies are making less per passenger. I see no difference whatsover in cruising a 70,000 ton ship vs. a 137,000 ship in terms of crowds or lines. RCCL seems to know what they are doing and do just fine accomodating passengers on the Voyager class ships. I see no reason why Genesis class ships won't follow suit. After all.........not much difference in size % change from 70,000 to 137,000 or 137,000 to 220,000. Seems this ship will be a reality in 2009. I for one can't wait to cruise on her. Go RCCL!!!!!!!

Hey, I like the name Genesis.

If you think about most of the names there is something negative.

Empress, Princess, and Sovereign seem undemocratic.

Ecstacy, Fantasy, and Conquest are a bit out there too...

Some are hard to say Zuiderdam, OOOOOOsterdam

The world can get a little too politically correct.

Happy Cruzin!!!

I'd be a little worried about cruising on a ship that size from a safety stand point. I mean they look so top heavy. Seems to me that you can only build so high and then you are risking a real "Posiden Adventure".

I'd be a little worried about cruising on a ship that size from a safety stand point. I mean they look so top heavy. Seems to me that you can only build so high and then you are risking a real "Posiden Adventure".
It's not that much taller than the Voyager Class ships.

hmmm would have to be wider than that, Freedom is 184' at its beam, according to the RCI website:

Ship Facts

Passenger Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy

Godmother: Katherine Louise Calder

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 184'

Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

hmmm would have to be wider than that, Freedom is 184' at its beam, according to the RCI website:

Ship Facts

Passenger Capacity: 3,634 double occupancy

Godmother: Katherine Louise Calder

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 184'

Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

I'm sorry - in designing ports, we never refer to max beam (which is the flybridge width). We refer to beam in the water. The only bearing the fly bridge beam has is clearing perpendiculars. It doesn't help with stability. So, the RCI website is correct for max beam, but if you go to the Akers site, you will see that the (at water) beam for the FOS is less than GOS and is not 184'. You can estimate that the max beam of GOS would be 216.

Archived