Genesis of the Seas - 2009 - 240,000 tons

phlydude

I thought the Freedom @ 180k would hold close to 5k

It is probably close to 5000 with the staff.

From RCCL website on Freedom of the Seas:

Ship Facts s.gifPassenger Capacity: 3,600 double occupancy

Gross Tonnage: 160,000

Length: 1,112'

Max Beam: 184'

Draft: 28'

Cruising Speed: 21.6 knots

• 4 months later...

Just an FYI - Captain on my April Enchantment cruise mentioned "The Genesis Project" at the Crown & Anchor party. It is coming online in 2009 and as mentioned will be 50% bigger than Freedom.

I sailed the Mariner (Eagle class) and I loved the ship - I can only imagine Genesis will be more of the same - Instead of just an Ice Skating Rink and Surfing Pool, maybe they'll have a ski slope or football stadium onbaord?

Just an FYI - Captain on my April Enchantment cruise mentioned "The Genesis Project" at the Crown & Anchor party. It is coming online in 2009 and as mentioned will be 50% bigger than Freedom.

I sailed the Mariner (Eagle class) and I loved the ship - I can only imagine Genesis will be more of the same - Instead of just an Ice Skating Rink and Surfing Pool, maybe they'll have a ski slope or football stadium onbaord?

I also have heard of the Genesis project at a C & A get together!

IMHO, I don't think I would go on Freedom or Genesis or any other of that class. Too many people! Can you imagine what embarkation and disembarkation at any port will be like????? And we complain now, because we have to wait????

Missy

The Genesis Class Ship (Project Genesis) is not a rumor and was announced back in February 2006. At 220,000 gross registered tons, 1,180 feet long, 154 feet wide and 240 feet high, the vessel will hold 5400 passengers. It is scheduled for delivery in 2009.

The Captain, a very wonderful skipper, on our last Brilliance cruise spoke of this "Genesis" class of ship. He said RCL has done a lot of research and that this kind of ship will work. It's not a rumor, it's a fact.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/search/processSearch.do;jsessionid=0000RC745hzFLp7QO9oNqSe97ZW:10ktmf1jr?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstruct-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A200&ip_text=genesis&x=35&y=4

Get Out There!

I think a ship of that size would be fanntastic. Just think we could stay out at sea for 9 or 10 days and still not get to see everything. Something tha large would be an engineering marvel. I've been on NOS i love the Voyager class, I can't wait to get on Freedom and see all that she has to offer. These large ships are a destination all on there own.

Welcome to the 21st Century. Beam me up scotty!

Wayne :)

This has been going around forever. They have contracted it with the Aker Finnyards in Turku, Finland. This is one of the worst ideas. You get of the ship and a port of call and by the time you make it off you'd have to get back on. Also getting on the ship and the day of embarkation. Although some people may think it is a good idea they are crazy but whatever.

Mike

Majesty of the Seas - 4/16/2001

Navigator of the Seas - 4/10/2004

200611191030_13.gif

At the Crown and Anchor reception in February on Majesty of the Seas, our captain not only announced the Genesis project, he showed us a drawing of the ship with the word Genesis on the side of the ship.

So it isn't just waiters who know about it, though strangely enough the first time I heard a hint of this huge ship was from a waitress in the Windjammer of Mariner of the Seas two years ago. I know that sounds like a joke, but it really is true. So this has been in the works for awhile because she knew something about it that long ago.

By the way, the drawing in the CBS news peice is not Genesis. The drawing we saw had a huge sign near the top of the side with the name of the ship in very large letters.

This sounds too much like a city at sea' date=' to me. I live in a small city whose pop. is just a little over that. However, I bet that it'd be stable in the water! :D[/quote']

I have done that twice already. First was the USS AMERICA and then the USS IOWA...lol.

Well, as someone sailing the Freedom in June, I think that she's about as big as I would want to go-I am already a little worried about all those people, I sure wouldn't want to double that number-guess we'll just have to wait and see. But Genesis, I just am not feelin' the name-it's either too biblical or too star trek-both bad for a cruise ship.:eek:

And yet, FOS originated as project Genesis.:D

You can already tell there are to many ships for the ports with Liberty's 2 eastern destinations and Labadee. I booked it but it is not very appealing. They keep building and the ports are more and more congested. Soon all you will have are sea days!

The islands are already so over run with tourists. I can't imagine what some of those poor islands would be like with ships that size coming in. Tourons don't take care of anything. Pretty soon, every island will be so over commercialized, you'll never even realise that you left home. I think it sucks. Visiting a beautiful Caribbean playground is one thing, running it into the ground with tourist is a crime. :(

Royal Caribbean orders largest-ever cruise ship

European shipbulder to build vessel with capacity of 5,400 passengers

Royal Caribbean via PRNewswire

An artist's rendition of Royal Caribbean International's newest ship, developed under the project name Genesis. The cruise ship, expected to be the world's largest, will accommodate 5,400 guests and will weigh 220,000 gross registered tons.

Related Stories | What's this?

• Philanthropist donates cruise ship to three colleges

• Over 200 cruise ship passengers take ill

• Royal Caribbean will sail cruise ships from Norfolk to Bermuda

Most Popular

• Most Viewed • Top Rated • Most E-mailed

• Postal worker arrested in bomb threat

• Polygamist leader added to most-wanted list

• Rice presses Russia on Iran nuclear resolution

• Gen. Hayden seen as likely successor as CIA

• U.S. official: Bin Laden likely hiding in Pakistan

• Most viewed on MSNBC.com

• Television host Louis Rukeyser dies at 73

• Earl Woods had a life of fulfillment

• The Energy Wars

• Doctor offers hope to girl with a rare condition

• Name game reflects Arab mistrust of Iran

• Postal worker arrested in bomb threat

• Woman beheads husband who wanted 4th wife

• What Does It Take to Coach Girls' Track?

• Trailer Park Residents Angry Over Evictions

• Phoenix posse to round up illegal immigrants

Updated: 4:09 p.m. ET Feb. 6, 2006

MIAMI - Royal Caribbean International on Monday ordered the world’s largest and most expensive cruise ship, a $1.24 billion vessel that will hold up to 6,400 passengers.

The ship, dubbed Project Genesis, is set to be delivered to the world’s second-largest cruise operator in fall 2009 by Oslo, Norway-based shipbuilder Aker Yards. It will be 220,000 gross registered tons and weigh in at about 100,000 tons based on displacement — a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier comes in at about 97,000 tons.

Aker said its contract price of 900 million euros — about $1 billion — would be “the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding.”

Story continues below ↓

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The $1.24 billion figure includes all expenses for the ship, “from forks and knives and sheets to artwork and everything else,” said Harri Kulovaara, the Miami-based cruise line’s executive vice president of maritime operations.

Aker said the contract is contingent on final approval of financing and the ship will be built at one of its Finnish yards. The cruise line, a unit of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., has an option for a second ship.

“Project Genesis truly is a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring innovations and technological advancements will delight our existing cruisers and help us draw in new ones,” Richard Fain, the parent company’s chairman and CEO, said in a statement.

The announcement also steals some of the spotlight from rival Carnival Corp., the world’s largest cruise operator. Carnival has studied building a ship about the same size, but its Pinnacle project is “on the back burner” because of its prohibitively high price, spokesman Tim Gallagher said.

Kulovaara said in a phone interview that the new ship will be more fuel efficient than current vessels, but he declined to give a specific figure. He said plans for the types of onboard amenities were being finalized. Royal Caribbean has been an innovator in featuring ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls and surfing pools.

Royal Caribbean’s ships are typically more upscale than the bargain Carnival Cruise Lines’ vessels, but they aren’t as traditional as those of luxury carriers such as Cunard.

Project Genesis will carry 5,400 passengers based on two people per cabin, Kulovaara said. But as most cruise cabins can accommodate more than two people using cots or other beds, that number rises to a maximum capacity of 6,400.

Ray Weiller, an owner of discount online travel agency ***************** said many of his clients are drawn to the ever-growing size and number of amenities of ships, but others tire of waiting in long lines to get on and off the vessels. Many complain about the large ships overwhelming some ports of call with too many people trying to visit, he said.

Royal Caribbean still offers a variety of ship sizes, so customers who don’t like larger vessels will have other options, Kulovaara said. The ship will sail in the Caribbean, where many ports already handle megaships, but ports will need some infrastructure impovements to handle it, he said.

Carnival Corp.’s Cunard Line currently has the world’s largest cruise ship — the Queen Mary 2 — at 151,400 gross registered tons. But Royal Caribbean is scheduled to get an even bigger ship in June, the 160,000-ton Freedom of the Seas. It will carry 3,600 passengers double occupancy and 4,370 maximum.

Both will be eclipsed by Project Genesis, which will be 1,180 feet long, 154 feet wide at water level and 240 feet high

Just came back from the AOS and got to speaking to our head waiter Vitek. He informed us that in 2009, RCI is planning on building a ship called Genesis of the Seas. It will come in @ 240,000 tons or so and will hold 7500-8000 cruisers.

This will be in addition to the 3 Freedom class vessels already in the works.

Any one else hear anything on this?

Alot of crew from the AOS are leaving to go on to the FOS and will be with her from Finland all through trials and then on to the US. It was interesting to hear how much of the setting up inside the ship is done by the crew that launches with the ship.

The Genesis project is a real project. There is a blurb about it here stating it will come in around 220,000 tons and carry around 5,400 passengers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Caribbean_International

Are there any sources better than the head waiter on this?

Yes, There is, I have actually seen a concept drawing on the Genesis line. There are many rumors, but it looks tremendously like the Freedom.

Here is the link, this was posted earlier by MLARKIN, I have just placed again to shorten the search.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/06/world/main1287792.shtml

I will see if I can find the link with the concept drawing and post that also.

Yes, There is, I have actually seen a concept drawing on the Genesis line. There are many rumors, but it looks tremendously like the Freedom.

Here is the link, this was posted earlier by MLARKIN, I have just placed again to shorten the search.

Thanks

I must respectfully disagree with your point saying that Genesis looks tremendously like Freedom. In my opinion the Genesis drawing looks truly revolutionary while the Freedom drawing looked like a glorified Voyager class ship.

Here is a link to a bigger picture.

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=h

I must respectfully disagree with your point saying that Genesis looks tremendously like Freedom. In my opinion the Genesis drawing looks truly revolutionary while the Freedom drawing looked like a glorified Voyager class ship.

Here is a link to a bigger picture.

http://www.akerfinnyards.com/image.cfm?i=175&s=h

After seeing the drawing that you linked, I do agree. The concept I saw looks nothing like the one you provided. Probably another example of the misinformation that occurs on the web.

Thanks for clarifying. Based on your provided picture, it appears to be a beautiful ship.

After hearing this for the past 3 months, I am still shocked of how big this ship will be. When I went on my first cruise on the Explorer I was shocked of how big that was. Then hearing about Freedom it shocked me more and now this?

I must say that I am impressed of how big these ships can get, but said eariler by someone soon enough all the ports are going to be over crowded because how big these ships are going to get. Overall, the ships are amazing and I probably will go on them when they come out.

That's okay guys... if you don't want to cruise it that could mean big discounts for me!

I wonder with plans that far out if the name "genesis" isn't a code name or planning name, such that as the time draws near they can pick something more timely. For example "Liberty", "Freedom"... a theme for that class.

JC

Archived