Live from Oceania Sirena (December 16th to January 20th)

travelberlin

Ivi,

We sailed with Mein Schiff 1, 4, and 5. Mein Schiff 1 is an old Celebrity ship soon to be replaced with a new build. 4 and 5 are newer, much better ships. It is true, the food on Mein Schiff 1 was not as good as on the other two cruises. The new German TUI ships have advantages such as excellent bread, alcohol included, a large variety of teas, coffee maker in the cabin, and, not to forget, the newest technical equipment. Lots of other things are not as good as on Oceania ships.

Our next cruise is on Mein Schiff 6 with family. And yes, some of us speak German. We cruise on all sorts of ships as long as we like the itinerary and the ship is less formal than Cunard. ;)

lvi

Although my wife and I are frequent cruisers, we have only been on one Oceania cruise.

Still, we very much enjoyed the description of your journey, as we have been thinking

about the same itinerary.

I didn't want to interrupt your report but, now that you're home again, I wanted to ask

if home is Berlin, as suggested in your user name (travelberlin). If so, you should know

that as a member of the U.S. Air Force I was privileged to have served in what was

then known as "The Divided City."

Over a 15-year period, I spent about nine years in West Berlin between 1959 and 1973

and enjoyed every minute. Despite the political situation, it was a vibrant and exiting

city and the Berliners stood tall and proud during the entire period, as they do now.

In any case, I thought you and your husband might be interested in some of the memories

and pictures that I'd be happy to share with you.

If you're interested in further conversation, my email address is ccovern@aol.com

I sincerely hope you chose to respond.

Berlin ist eine Reise wert!

lvi

Although my wife and I are frequent cruisers, we have only been on one Oceania cruise.

Still, we very much enjoyed the description of your journey, as we have been thinking

about the same itinerary.

I didn't want to interrupt your report but, now that you're home again, I wanted to ask

if home is Berlin, as suggested in your user name (travelberlin). If so, you should know

that as a member of the U.S. Air Force I was privileged to have served in what was

then known as "The Divided City."

Over a 15-year period, I spent about nine years in West Berlin between 1959 and 1973

and enjoyed every minute. Despite the political situation, it was a vibrant and exiting

city and the Berliners stood tall and proud during the entire period, as they do now.

In any case, I thought you and your husband might be interested in some of the memories

and pictures that I'd be happy to share with you.

If you're interested in further conversation, my email address is ccovern@aol.com

I sincerely hope you chose to respond.

Berlin ist eine Reise wert!

Thanks for you message! I will send you an email as soon I can between today and tomorrow. At the moment, we are taking care of maintenance things at our house. Normal things. Nothing extraordinary but involves plumbers.

How I miss our time at the Sirena when we were not responsible for any maintenance issues....

Ivi

t

Thank you for the time you spent to keep us all informed of your trip. Patrick and I are doing

Buenos Aires to Miami aboard the Serena in March. Your pictures are great, many thanks to you, charmian

t

Thank you for the time you spent to keep us all informed of your trip. Patrick and I are doing

Buenos Aires to Miami aboard the Serena in March. Your pictures are great, many thanks to you, charmian

You are very welcome charmian. I am glad you have enjoyed the reports and photos. I hope I was able to provide some useful information on the ports of call.

Many people I have met from Oceania are not going to be there anymore when you board. For example the general manager and the manager of the Red Ginger were going home in Rio for a well deserved vacation.

I hope that the new people will be also so highly qualified and friendly.

Let me know if you wish to know more about the ship or the ports of call.

Ivi

Travelberlin,

Thank you so much for your report of the Sirena cruise. It was a wonderful report and the pictures did really add to it.

We are taking Sirena from Rio to Miami in April and chose it specifically because it is going up the Amazon to Manaus. We have signed up for 4 ship land tours, one independent one and have the other ports with no plans at this time. So your stories of the various ports was very interesting/useful for us.

We have traveled on Oceania (Marina) before so feel we know what to expect. We have 6 days at sea and 2 days cruising on the Amazon. My husband is worried he will be bored... other cruises we have taken were shorter.

Again,

Thank you.

Travelberlin,

Thank you so much for your report of the Sirena cruise. It was a wonderful report and the pictures did really add to it.

We are taking Sirena from Rio to Miami in April and chose it specifically because it is going up the Amazon to Manaus. We have signed up for 4 ship land tours, one independent one and have the other ports with no plans at this time. So your stories of the various ports was very interesting/useful for us.

We have traveled on Oceania (Marina) before so feel we know what to expect. We have 6 days at sea and 2 days cruising on the Amazon. My husband is worried he will be bored... other cruises we have taken were shorter.

Again,

Thank you.

You are very welcome! It is a very good start, that you have chosen this cruise because you are interested on the Amazon. One does not get much of the jungle experience unless you go to an Eco Lodge, opportunity that Oceania offers at very expensive excursion price. However, and this I have understood during our cruise, the Amazon experience is not just the jungle and it is not the ports. It is the river Amazon itself and those, also large rivers, which meet the Amazon river like the Rio Tapajos and the Rio Negro.

We have learned that the conquerer Francisco de Orellana was the first non indigenous to arrive at the Amazon river. There he fought against indigenous groups, who apparently had a developed civilization. In one of those groups there were women warriors, who fought so fiercely that Francisco de Orellana thought, those women were the legendary Amazon. That is the reason for the name of the river.

When I think about, the historical facts surrounding the river are part of the experience. I hope you have a good lecturer on board or the possibility to learn about the river on your own.

I see that your itinerary goes to Recife. If this is your first time there, try to go on an excursion that shows you the highlights of Recife including the old town Olinda.

In relation to your husband being afraid of getting bored because of the many sea days, there are plenty of activities organized by the ship, like lectures, bridge lessons, trivia, golf putting, etc. There is also a good library. In addition you can borrow DVDs if you feel like watching a movie. Or go to the Gym to try to control those pounds that will probably come. And, one of the things I like to do, you can just relax and enjoy your free time. I hope your husband finds something for him.

Ivi