Just returned from Cuba on the Sky

lfplenore

I was very worried about visiting Cuba due to the new OFAC regulations. We did not book the requisite 6-months out and were very concerned that NCL would require us to take one of their excursions and that we would not be able to wander around on our own.

Prior to the cruise I contacted NCL who reassured me that their cruises were fully compliant with the new regulations and that nothing would change. Having been given incorrect information before by NCL, I still had my doubts.

I worried for nothing. We were given disembarkation information the night before. We were to pick up disembarkation tickets starting at 7 am; we would be able to disembark between 9 and 10 am.

The first group was actually called at 8 am; by 8:30 group 4 had been called. We had booked a classic car tour with another couple and walked off the ship together at 8:30. There were no lines for customs/immigration, nor did we have to wait to exchange our money. We were walking the streets of Havana by 8:45! There were plenty of classic cars and horse-drawn carriages waiting to offer tours for those that had not pre-booked. We were also able to wander freely with no restrictions on our second day in port.

I have a blog post with lots of pictures and details about our time spent in Havana: https://travelswithheather.com/2017/12/15/havana-cuba/.

Please feel free to ask questions; I will answer them as best I can.

Heather

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A very extensive review and photos! I also did not expect to see a religious statue there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked our tour guide about religion, assuming that like Russia, Cuba would have clamped down on religion after the revolution. She said that religious expression has always been allowed and that the revolution did not interfere with that.

Glad you enjoyed my review!

Heather

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much for your review. After seeing that show on the Discovery channel about the Cuban mechanics fixing their old cars with anything that works. It was great that Pres. Obama opened up trade and travel to Cuba. I thought now they could get proper parts from the U.S. new or used. to fix their old American cars.Maybe I'll get to visit Cuba someday.

I was on this cruise as well. I am writing a separate review; your site and photos are excellent and well written. This was a very unique opportunity that I really enjoyed. I'd have happily given up our stop in the Bahamas for additional time in Havana. Like you I doubt if or when I would be able to return. Thanks for sharing your experiences.