VAT on pre-cruise purchases?

iluvit!

Just booked our first European cruise, Oasis out of Barcelona 2019. I’m a bit confused about the VAT. As far as I can tell, 10% will be added to onboard food and drink purchases and 20% on everything else.

-Is this physical products, or are services taxed, for example, would there be a tax on the daily service charge?

-Would cruise planner purchases avoid the vat, since drink and dining packages would not be purchased on the ship?

-What about tours? Been reading about Romeinlimo, can I expect to pay an additional 20% over quoted prices?

Thanks for any advice!

No tax on the daily service charge.

There´s VAT on all goods and services onboard meaning drinks, food, specialty restaurant charges, internet packages, spa services, shore tours...

No, VAT is charged online too. No way to avoid it.

As for anything purchased on land the VAT is already included in the price tag. Same for independent tour operators. So you can´t avoid the VAT but you don´t "see" it as it´s already included in the shown price. That´s the law in Europe.

steamboats

• 3 months later...
No tax on the daily service charge.

There´s VAT on all goods and services onboard meaning drinks, food, specialty restaurant charges, internet packages, spa services, shore tours...

No, VAT is charged online too. No way to avoid it.

As for anything purchased on land the VAT is already included in the price tag. Same for independent tour operators. So you can´t avoid the VAT but you don´t "see" it as it´s already included in the shown price. That´s the law in Europe.

steamboats

To clarify, as this is confusing to us Americans :confused:- when I go to purchase the drink package online, it is NOT adding the VAT tax, only the Service Charge (of a random 16.36%, not 18%??). So when do they charge the VAT for online purchases? :confused:;p

At least two years ago the VAT was added for online purchases. Sorry, it´s not easy for me to find that out as my Cruise Planner is in Euro. But on the Harmony 2016 we had the 3 night dining package which was back then 80 Dollar and when I converted the Euro price I paid app. 88 Dollar which would be the 10% VAT extra (no service charge on the packages back then).

I bought the 2 night package for the Symphony cruise (30 Dollar) and the final price converted was app. 33 Dollar (I bought it before they added the serivce charge).

So I think the VAT and the service charge are still charged when you purchase online.

steamboats