Purchase specialty dining package onboard?

drmomsc

We are going on the Epic in March- my first cruise on NCL in 25 years!

My husband and I have the 3 meal package as part of our booking. My teenage son will be with us. Can I book our dining online and buy the package for him when we get onboard? Or do I need to buy the package before I book the meals? I'd like to be able to use our onboard credit for it if possible.

TIA

You will be fine doing exactly what you want to do. As long as you have a dining package, the on-line booking system will let you book meals for up to 8 people as if they all had the same package. They don't figure out how everyone is actually paying for their meals until you show up at the restaurant each time during your cruise. And by then you will have purchased the dining package for your son using your OBC. No problem!

Actually, the reservations and SDP are not connected in any way. I would have Son look at the menus on board and decide then. He would have to order ~$25 or more to be worth buying the package.

Just to clarify, the reservations and SDP are connected from the point of view of making the reservations, in that the system doesn’t charge you when reserving for the number of meals you have SDP credits to cover.

That doesn’t matter if you are booking A la carte places, as the upfront charge is zero anyway. However, it is relevant if you are booking somewhere with a fixed charge.

So, if you have a 3 meal SDP and book Teppenyaki as one of the first three meals you book then you won’t be charged anything, but if it’s the fourth one you book then you will be charged.

You are absolutely correct that the reservations aren’t linked with the SDP once onboard, and you can choose to use any SDP credits against whichever meals you want.

The main factor which answers the OPs question is that when you book meals, NCL has no idea who else is joining you. You just state the number of people, but don’t give names. Therefore the fact that the OPs son doesn’t have the SDP doesn’t stop them being able to include him in their reservations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by KeithJenner

We are going on the Epic in March- my first cruise on NCL in 25 years!

My husband and I have the 3 meal package as part of our booking. My teenage son will be with us. Can I book our dining online and buy the package for him when we get onboard? Or do I need to buy the package before I book the meals? I'd like to be able to use our onboard credit for it if possible.

TIA

Buy the package on board.

If your son orders an entree, the package will be cheaper ($19.67 per meal).