Status match - do you build from that to reach higher levels?

TrinaLC

If you match to for example Gold and the take several cruises - do they stack the related earned points on top somehow such that you could reach the next level fairly fast, or do you need to reach the next level from scratch? (Starting from zero points.)

I could not find the answer @ msc.

You are given the lowest number of points needed for your matched level and then you proceed to build from there. e.g. 10,000 points are given to black (this is the minimum for black). You will continue to build from gold upward!

That is good news! Just curious, where did you find that? I looked everywhere!

That is good news! Just curious, where did you find that? I looked everywhere!

Hello, yes. The points show up in your account when you are matched (the points required to get to the lowest of that level). Thus, any points from cruises are added to this minimum until you meet the next point requirement.

If you go 3 years without completing a MSC cruise, you lose what you have gained.

I have status matched to Black. I'm going for the first time on MSC in July 2018.

Does that mean I have to go to another MSC cruise before July 2021 to keep the Black status?

Thanks.

I have status matched to Black. I'm going for the first time on MSC in July 2018.

Does that mean I have to go to another MSC cruise before July 2021 to keep the Black status?

Thanks.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it means you have to have another MSC cruise BOOKED within the three years. I took that to mean that the cruise didn't have to be COMPLETED within the three years.

Thanks.

I think I remember reading somewhere that it means you have to have another MSC cruise BOOKED within the three years. I took that to mean that the cruise didn't have to be COMPLETED within the three years.

According to the Terms & Conditions, the cruise must be completed within 3 years...

"MSC Voyagers Club Membership is subject to a minimum of one cruise every threeyears. If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years (36 months) or no cruisehas been completed in 3 years after the enrolment date, membership to the MSCVoyagers Club program will expire.For example: if the last disembarkation date is 30.01.2015 and no cruises are completedby 30.01.2018, the membership will expire."

According to the Terms & Conditions, the cruise must be completed within 3 years...

"MSC Voyagers Club Membership is subject to a minimum of one cruise every threeyears. If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years (36 months) or no cruisehas been completed in 3 years after the enrolment date, membership to the MSCVoyagers Club program will expire.For example: if the last disembarkation date is 30.01.2015 and no cruises are completedby 30.01.2018, the membership will expire."

That is so unbelievably harsh. I think they will find that someone who has lost their membership level will be so pissed they will never book another MSC trip. I know I would feel that way.

And yes, airlines have steep requirements to maintain, but they all do. Here MSC is a total outlier among cruise lines.

That is so unbelievably harsh. I think they will find that someone who has lost their membership level will be so pissed they will never book another MSC trip. I know I would feel that way.

3 years is plenty of time. Even if someone cruises every other year, their status will continue. If someone cruises less than once every 3 years with MSC, their status would be pretty much the same as starting over, anyway. The status match is MSC going way above (some argue "too much") the norm.

Please tell me what other cruise line does this? Yes, RCI and Celebrity will match across to a certain level, but then you have to earn the next level by cruising on that specific line. I would like to cruise on another line for the first time and get 2 meals in a Specialty Restaurant free.

I though the three years was more than generous. You were given loyalty status without ever setting foot on one of their ships (far as I know no one else does that). If you then go more than three years before sailing with them, you aren't very loyal.

Here MSC is a total outlier among cruise lines.

In fact Costa is worse. Your points have a 3 year expiration date, and are not renewable whether you cruise or not. Putting it other way, they only look your last 3 years for status.

When they anounced that change, I matched to MSC and never looked back.

Thank you, TwoWheelsOnly, for clarifying the length of the status match. Here's my take on all of this. Matching my RCI status to Black Card definitely pushed me to initially book my MSC cruise. However, status match alone will not keep me as an MSC customer. The only thing that will bring me back is if they improve their customer service experience. IMO, they still have work to do in that area.

Thank you, TwoWheelsOnly, for clarifying the length of the status match. Here's my take on all of this. Matching my RCI status to Black Card definitely pushed me to initially book my MSC cruise. However, status match alone will not keep me as an MSC customer. The only thing that will bring me back is if they improve their customer service experience. IMO, they still have work to do in that area.

I believe all cruise lines have a problem with Customer Service. In fact, which Company does not? We had bad experience with Celebrity CS twice. We finally got problem resolved after 7 phone calls. Will still cruise X. No one is perfect.

I though the three years was more than generous. You were given loyalty status without ever setting foot on one of their ships (far as I know no one else does that). If you then go more than three years before sailing with them, you aren't very loyal.

Loyalty status expires for everyone after three years non-activity, not just for those who were status matched.

I believe all cruise lines have a problem with Customer Service. In fact, which Company does not? We had bad experience with Celebrity CS twice. We finally got problem resolved after 7 phone calls. Will still cruise X. No one is perfect.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to your statement about CS across all lines. And I guess everyone has to determine for themselves where the lines are drawn, depending on what those issues were. My issues were resolved, but they never should have happened in the first place. I stand by my statement that I need to see the basic CS improved with MSC before booking with them again.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to your statement about CS across all lines. And I guess everyone has to determine for themselves where the lines are drawn, depending on what those issues were. My issues were resolved, but they never should have happened in the first place. I stand by my statement that I need to see the basic CS improved with MSC before booking with them again.

Fully understand your logic. Your money, your choice.

However, reading all the different forums on CC, there are many things that cause concern. People complain about the web sites. Paper luggage tags. If it affects you, it is a concern.

With Celebrity they changed our Elite+ to Elite on one cruise. I had previous Boarding Cards, emails, etc., to prove we were Elite+. It took us 7 calls to CS and they finally agreed we were Elite+. Do we stop cruising Celebrity? No, but like I said to you, you do what you want as it is your money and choice.

This world is changing and many things are chaining. Nothing is perfect.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!! .

Uhhh. . .since most people seem to have gotten their black status via status match. . .and since those who didn't are by definition ardent MSC fans. . .and although any line can changes its policies at any time. . .

Has it not occurred to anyone that if you got your card via status match and lose it because of the three year rule, you can simply apply for it again via status match. Or is there a one-time-only restriction buried somewhere in the boilerplate?

Has it not occurred to anyone that if you got your card via status match and lose it because of the three year rule, you can simply apply for it again via status match. Or is there a one-time-only restriction buried somewhere in the boilerplate?

One time.

"Conversion will be executed by MSC Cruises based on objective criteria and may only be done once per consumer"