Rotterdam Costa Maya 12/22 Rescheduled to Grand Cayman

RobotsRock

Joke if you want, but many tour companies guarantee that I will see a whale or I will get my money back. HAL should guarantee that I will make it to these ports (or some type of compensation will be offered). Taking a cruise is no different than flying. If the airline doesn't get me to destination then I get a refund. If the cruise doesn't take me to listed ports then I have not been taken to my destinations.
We went on one of those whale excursions that guarantee a whale sighting or give you your money back. The deck hand told me that they've never had to give any money back because they ALWAYS see at least one whale. There's absolutely no way that the cruise lines will ever guarantee their itineraries. There's just too many times that they have to miss a port due to unforseen circumstances.

I don't even think that you can buy travel insurance that will guarantee all of your ports. Even if you could buy such insurance, it would probably be so cost prohibitive that nobody would actually buy it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

We went on one of those whale excursions that guarantee a whale sighting or give you your money back. The deck hand told me that they've never had to give any money back because they ALWAYS see at least one whale. There's absolutely no way that the cruise lines will ever guarantee their itineraries. There's just too many times that they have to miss a port due to unforseen circumstances.

I don't even think that you can buy travel insurance that will guarantee all of your ports. Even if you could buy such insurance, it would probably be so cost prohibitive that nobody would actually buy it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wrong. There most certainly is Trip Insurance that will pay you if your ports change or get canceled. Costs more than “normal “ cruise insurance but not tons more.

I saw it on Insure my Trip dot com, I think it is underwritten by Progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wrong. There most certainly is Trip Insurance that will pay you if your ports change or get canceled. Costs more than “normal “ cruise insurance but not tons more.

I saw it on Insure my Trip dot com, I think it is underwritten by Progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wrong. Progressive does not underwrite any form of travel insurance; however, they do appear to own the insure my trip dot com travel insurance brokerage service.

Yes, there are insurance policies that will pay a small amount for the inconvenience of an itinerary change that is announced after the departure date of your cruise (which are the circumstances that apply in this situation). The maximum benefit amount I was able to find was a one time payment of up to $250 for the inconvenience. This $250 benefit amount is no where near what a full refund benefit would be for most cruises. I placed a quote for a hypothetical $10,000 cruise to Norway for a 52 year old person and the cost of this policy came back at $843 (8.43% of cruise cost). While I am not sure exactly how much money is considered to be tons more than the cost of normal cruise insurance, it is true that this was the fourth highest priced policy out of the thirty policies that I was offered by insure my trip dot com.

This is insane. You use the airlines as an example. I guess you don't fly much either. The airlines will only provide you with a hotel and meal vouchers if the flight was cancelled due to weather, ATC delays, or other situations out of their control. The only reason they will comp you for a cancellation is if they have an equipment failure or crew non-arrival. The airlines have many wiggle-clauses that they will throw at you to justify nothing in compensation except a ticket on the next available flight. .

This is simply not true. Have you read the contract of carriage? Airlines are required to get you to your final destination or provide you a refund. This is true regardless of circumstances.

This is simply not true. Have you read the contract of carriage? Airlines are required to get you to your final destination or provide you a refund. This is true regardless of circumstances.

Sure, they will get you to your final destination, but it may be the next day, the day after, or who knows when. In the meantime, while you are waiting for that promised flight, you will pay for your own hotel and your own meals. Only if they have an equipment failure or a crew problem will they voucher your hotel and meals. I just had 2 friends flying from Toronto to the Caribbean, through Atlanta. They had snow and ice. They were stuck in Atlanta for 2 days and they had to pay their own hotel and meals. And they were gold level with Delta and flying business class. You only get a refund if they simply give up and can't get you on a flight. There is no time limit.

Sure, they will get you to your final destination, but it may be the next day, the day after, or who knows when. In the meantime, while you are waiting for that promised flight, you will pay for your own hotel and your own meals. Only if they have an equipment failure or a crew problem will they voucher your hotel and meals. I just had 2 friends flying from Toronto to the Caribbean, through Atlanta. They had snow and ice. They were stuck in Atlanta for 2 days and they had to pay their own hotel and meals. And they were gold level with Delta and flying business class. You only get a refund if they simply give up and can't get you on a flight. There is no time limit.

It would be a marketing coup if cruise lines did the same thing!

• 1 month later...

What gets my goat most is that tender pickup issue. Everytime we've gone to Cayman on other cruise lines, they use third-party locals and true tenders to get ashore. HAL cut corners and uses lifeboats. Terrible. Many are denied shore access due to mobility issues due to lifeboat limitiations. On our Nov. 4th sailing we even observed them removing a lifeboat from tender duty due to a motor failure, etc. So no surprise that the lifeboats are breaking down cause they were never designed for tender transport.

Time for HAL to favor the passengers and give them better access at Cayman.