Taking taxi downtown

schemmy

Read we should take a taxi downtown from the port to shop and eat I believe for $8. If we decide to do this do you just tell the driver you want to go downtown or do you have to me more specific?

Will be docking at Puerta Maya.

Also if we decide to go to Paradise beach since it is just the two of us is it common (easy) to find another couple to share a ride and split the fare since it is the same for 1-4. Thank you....schemmy

You can tell them "downtown". The most important thing is to make sure you and the driver agree on the price as you enter the cab. Even though the prices for taxis are posted at the port area, some drivers have been known to try and charge higher amounts, although I haven't personally experienced this in Cozumel (approximately 10-15 taxi rides).

I would post on your roll call to find another couple willing to share the ride to PB. In case that does not work we have occasionally had success announcing our request to the cab line and finding others to share the fare.

Puerta Maya has a well marked designated taxi queue area with prices posted. If looking to split you could hang out a bit hoping to find another couple going to Paradise Beach. We have been there several times and never had a problem finding a taxi that could fit at least 4. And plenty of cabs lined up when you are ready to leave.

We did have a problem once at Puerta Maya when we told the taxi driver our group wanted to go to Paradise Beach and he told us we should go to another beach club he suggested. He said PB wasn’t the price we were quoted in writing, which of course was a complete lie. Obviously he was being paid to take passengers to the beach club he suggested. If you want to go to PB, insist on going there. We love PB!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We visit Cozumel at least 4 times a year for the past 20 years and have NEVER had a cab driver ask for more than the posted amount for a specific trip. There at least 20 locations with taxi prices posted at the taxi stand. Of course, if you go to a location not listed, then as suggested, agree on the price before driving off. We have not been very successful in finding others to share a taxi on the way to the beach, but often find some to share on the way back.

have fun

M