Thinking of NCL, Tell Me What You Think.

Sarcastic Mama

We haven’t cruised on Carnival, but we have been on the Sun, and on NCL Getaway. On the Sun it was just my DH & I. It was great for a middle-aged couple like us. But when we decided to take our kids on a cruise a year and a half later, we knew the Sun wouldn’t keep them occupied. It’s a quiet ship with not a lot of activities. Our kids were 21 & 23 when we went. We chose the Getaway because it had so many more activities that they enjoyed.

We have no complaints about NCL. Been on two cruises with them and have another booked this January. The freestyle dining is a huge benefit for us. If you’re only going for 4 days, most of which is spent in the Bahamas, I’m sure your DD & her friend will be happy on the Sun. If it were a longer cruise, I wouldn’t recommend the Sun for teens unless they are happy with a lower-key, quieter atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have cruised with our kids for the past 14 Years (most recent 2/17) We have only taken them on ncl because it fit so well. We have 5 kids (19-27 now) they all loved teen club. What sold us was flexible eating times and resort casual attire. Try telling kids when the are hungry and we didn’t want to spend money on clothes they wouldn’t wear after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have cruised both Carnival and NCL and find that NCL is a notch above Carnival in terms of entertainment and food. Although I can't speak for their teen program, there are more venues with different types of live entertainment or activity. Carnival may have Guy's and Blue Iguana but NCL has other free venues that are better. O'Sheehan's for example is open 23 hours and serves a full bar menu. Carnival no longer has a live band poolside on most ships but NCL does. There is a different band playing at least 3 areas of the ship every night before/during/after the main show.

In terms of activities for teens, both Carnival and NCL will be different according to the age of the ship. Not sure if sun has slides, rope course, big sports deck that attracts youngsters. I would check the deck plans, You won't be sorry you tried NCL.

I find them to be more similar than different. I loved the speciality dining on NCL, but love the buffet much better on Carnival. I love freestyle dining, but miss getting to know my waitstaff. My only concern about a 4 day cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale in the summer is that it will be a complete and total booze cruise, especially with the ultimate beverage package. But NCL is great and if you like carnival, I Believe you will have an awesome time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Our first 5 or 6 were Carnival , then 1 RCI, last 2 NCL.

NCL is now our preferred choice ( Specialty Rest. and Beverage Perks) play a big factor.

Love NCL waterfront, Howl at the Moon ( Better than Carnival Piano Bar IMO).

More Specialty Rest. on NCL ( get 3 with perks), although Vista looks like it will have a couple of more.

we love NCL. hated my first cruise which was on Carnival. never went back.

that said, for teens, im not sure the Sun is the best choice of ship. its very small, when it was on it the party atmosphere was dead (although it was in Alaska which tends to be quieter than Florida sails). they may enjoy a larger ship more or even the Sky.

I have sailed on both lines and can tell you emphatically that I greatly prefer NCL. I have liked Carnival better in a couple of categories, but overall NCL is my preference in most categories. I will go through some of them one by one for comparison's sake):

Thank you, thank you for this great comparison! We've sailed NCL for our last 6 cruises, but are sailing Carnival in February. I haven't sailed Carnival since 2011 and my hubs never has, so I appreciate the info and have a bit better of an idea of what to expect on the Glory. We're looking forward to trying Carnival and have never had a bad cruise, so I expect (hope) the same will be true for February.

OP, my parents have sailed most of the NCL ships and have really enjoyed the Sun (sailed on her at least twice). Smaller ship with fewer bells and whistles, but overall, it is one of their favorites for that very reason.

We have cruised with our kids for the past 14 Years (most recent 2/17) We have only taken them on ncl because it fit so well. We have 5 kids (19-27 now) they all loved teen club. What sold us was flexible eating times and resort casual attire. Try telling kids when the are hungry and we didn’t want to spend money on clothes they wouldn’t wear after the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have a friend who sailed NCL for the first time over Thanksgiving. It was just our friends (hubby is challenged and decided to stay home.) She took her daughter in law and 4 grandkids, ages from 23 down to about 17. they all had a blast. Most of the time they all did activities together, but as she tells it, the 17 year did hang out with his new found teen friends. They were on the Pearl over Thanksgiving.