Can I change onboard account from CA to US$?

bomabound

I recently booked a "Canadian at Par" cruise not realizing that the pricing is not actually at par because the exchange rate is so ridiculously bad. Now when I look at purchasing things like excursions and dinner theatre, all the pricing is in CA funds with the same terrible exchange rate. The cruise itself has been paid in full so there is nothing I can do about that, but is it possible to have my onboard account changed to US funds so that future purchases are charged in US so that I can pay with a US credit card?. If the exchange rate is locked in, this error is going to cost many hundreds of extra dollars over the 14-day cruise. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

What makes you think your on board account will be in $Can?

I am in the UK and if I buy a cruise in the UK I pay in £ and if I buy

anything in advance I pay in UK £ but the ON Board Currency

can be in US$ (usually) or in Euro and occasionally in £ Only if it is a UK based Line. I have not heard of a ship with $Can as the OB Currency, Are there any cruises from Canada to Canada?

But when on board if I want to book an excursion or a special meal

or buy a drinks package it is normally priced in the ships currency

as is my on board account. That is usually settled on a credit card

and I get them debit my card in US or Euro and let my bank do the exchange - ( I get a better rate that way)

If you dont get an answer on here I would ask your TA or NCL what is the on board currency - will my account be in that currency - and if I buy excursions on board what currency will they be in.

Some advantages to pre booking

- You may get a better rate than on board RCL have "sales" where

some things are 30% -50% cheaper than on board.

When you get on board a popular excursion may have sold out.

We went on a cruise with a trip to wadi rum and it sold out even

while we spent a week thinking about it! Fortunately we are on

another cruise so we booked the excursion 18months in advance

just in case it happens again.

NCL charges all ship board expenses in US$. OP doesn't need to do anything to have that happen. If the exchange rate is bad, just don't make any more pre cruise purchases, and wait to pay DSC when you get on board.

If you purchase anything such as dining packages, excursions, etc, online they will be in CND $ and I don't think here is anyway around that but once on board everything will be in US$.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you purchase anything before boarding you are tied to the currency that you paid for the cruise at the RATE of exchange that you were tied to at that point... The only way to win is for the rate to change in your favour; then you should buy at the old rate.

Thanks everyone for providing information on this.

Everything that I have the option to buy in advance such as gratuities, excursions, gift packages, dinner shows, etc. is available to me only in Canadian funds, and when I asked about what happens if I need to change plans I was told the purchase price would be credited to my onboard account. This is what made me assume the account would be in the same funds. I am happy to hear that it is not, and will wait to make any further purchases until I'm on the ship. Unfortunately this does bring the risk of sold out excursions.

My only other concern would be whether at the end of the cruise they convert the balance owing into CA at the same exchange rate before charging a credit card. But I will be sure to request that this not be done when we check in on embarkation day. Presumably I should be able to put a USD credit card on the room account.

If you use a USD Credit Card the company will just debit your folio figure to the credit card you have provided. No problem. If you use a CAD credit card it is the credit card company who does the exchange; NCL just charges the USD amount.

Try phoning NCL to see if you can reserve the shorex you want, they certainly do it if you have the $50 shorex perk.

Try phoning NCL to see if you can reserve the shorex you want, they certainly do it if you have the $50 shorex perk.

Thanks for the reply. I did actually call to ask this and was told no, not when you don't have the shorex perk (which we do not). Maybe I will try again after Christmas and see if the was incorrect information.