Seabourn vs Crystal? Transatlantic Crossing

Oceanbabyblue

Hi, I'm new to this board & haven't sailed on a Seabourn cruise before. After reading many good reviews on Seabourn, I'm planning to try the Transatlantic crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon on April 23, 06 on the Seabourn Legend. We've sailed on the Crystal Cruises 3 times & Celebrity once. We love the Crystal Cruises very much & especially the sea days. It doesn't matter where the ship goes as long as it's a good cruise. And that's the reason we're considering to take the Transatlantic crossing. One thing we're not sure is that how the sea motion is like, as we've never been on a crossing. And especially on a Seabourn ship, how does it compared to the Crystal ship or other larger ship?

Also, does anyone has experience on both Crystal & Seabourn tell me how do they compared in terms of food quality & service?

Any personal & subjective opinions are very welcomed. Thanks very much!

Let me start off by saying that the majority of people that we have met over the years have not cruised both lines. Many that we have met on Crystal would not cruise on Seabourn as they prefer larger ships over small ships and many that we have met on Seabourn would not cruise Crystal as they prefer small ships over large ships. And, of the people that we have met that have cruised both lines we have found that the majority do, in fact, prefer one line over the other for a variety of reasons. It could be that they prefer small ships over large ships or large ships over small ships or the fact that Seabourn is essentially all inclusive and Crystal is not, or that Crystal offers a wider variety of entertainment relative to Seabourn or that Crystal has many staterooms with Verandahs.

My wife and I have cruised on both Crystal and Seabourn and plan to continue to sail on both lines as we have had wonderful memories on both of these lines. There are similarities on both lines and of course differences.

Each cruise line will use the size of their ships to their advantage.

We found that because of the small size of the Seabourn ships they are very intimate and are able to offer a very high degree of service as the passenger load is relatively small. They are able to offer open seating for dinner. One of the differences between the two lines which is NOT size related is that Seabourn's fare includes gratuities and drinks. This is another difference between the two lines.

Likewise, our experience on Crystal is that they can offer a more diverse and greater set of daytime activities and entertainment due to the larger size of their ships and the number of passenger's that they carry. Crystal can also offer more venues for dining.

So, what did we enjoy about Seabourn?

We found the Seabourn ships to be very intimate since they only carry approximately 200 passengers and many times you'll find far fewer than 200 passengers because many people travel solo and/or the all cabins are not sold out. The intimacy is found throughout the ship from having candles lit in the dining room for the formal evenings to the intimacy that you will find if you go for a drink.

It is true that within 24 hours that when you walk around the ship that the majority of the staff will already know your name. They will quickly learn your likes and dislikes. An example I mention to people is that by the second day when we went for cocktails as soon as we arrived and were seated we looked up and we could see the bartender already preparing our drinks without us having to say anything. You will find this wonderful service throughout the ship and at all levels. The service is very consistent from person to person and our experience is that the service was wonderful.

With so few passenger's, we found that we really got to know so many people quite well. With open seating for dinner, you can sit and eat with whoever you choose so if you meet some people you can eat with them and then another night eat with others that you meet which is very nice. Or, of course, you can eat by yourself. From time to time you will receive invitations to eat at table sponsored by a variety of personnel from officers to entertainers and you will also sit with other passenger's which is a great way to meet others.

The food is wonderful. We tried and enjoyed all of the venues. In addition to the dining facilities another wonderful experience is to have dinner in your suite. They will bring dinner to your room course by course. As long as you advise the restaurant staff in advance, you can have whatever you desire. And, the service by the restaurant staff is A++++. They are wonderful!!!!

Most of the suites are the same size. The only difference is their location. We were very pleased with their size and their overall configuration.

As mentioned earlier we greatly enjoyed the open seating for dinner. Likewise, we enjoyed that essentially everything is all inclusive from gratuities to drinks.

Sailing on Seabourn for us was very much like a country club atmosphere and the bond between fellow passenger's and passengers along with crew was wonderful.

As I mentioned we also greatly enjoy cruising on Crystal. Since you have cruised Crystal before I won't go into as much detail about that. I'll just briefly tell you what we enjoy about Crystal.

We enjoy the wide diversity of entertainment on the Crystal ships from the variety of daytime lecturers to the show in the evening.

We enjoy the size and diversity of various facilities on board the Crystal ships from the workout facilities, to the promenade deck to the computer learning center.

We enjoy the quality of food on the crystal ships and the venues from the dining room to the bistro to the specialty restaurants.

We enjoy the service on Crystal and the willingness to please and to accommodate most requests.

As I mentioned, we truly enjoyed both lines and on one end we truly enjoyed the intimacy that can be found on the Seabourn ships given their size along with the wide range of amenities that can be found on the Crystal ships given their size.

The lines have many things in common and also differences. For us that’s good so that we fully appreciate all of the wonderful amenities that each line and ship offers each time we cruise.

I think in the end, I would give Seabourn higher marks for food and service and I would give Crystal higher marks for entertainment and on board activities and I would give both lines equal marks for quality.

Many times, when one reads the ratings awarded by readers of different magazines, Seabourn receives the highest ranking for ships that carry 500 or less passenger's and Crystal receives the highest ranking for ships that carry 500-1,200 passengers. This is a tribute to both lines.

My recommendation would be to try Seabourn because in the end only you can decide which line(s) are best for you.

Now in terms of the crossing, I think it is fair to say that you will likely feel more sea motion on a smaller ship such as Seabourn vs a larger ship such as Crystal. That's not to say that if you go on one trans-atlantic crossing on each ship that one would be worse than the other as there will be other factors that influence your experience such as the weather encountered on each of the voyages. And, if you did the same crossing on the same ship for three consecutive years you will likely have different experiences as the weather would likley be somewhat different on each cruise. My only advice would be no matter what ship you go on that when you take a transoceanic cruise that you should be prepared for a greater degree of sea motion than you would likely encounter relative to other types of cruises. So, if that's a concern I would recommend that you talk with your doctor so that you are prepared for this in the event that you encounter choppy seas during a portion of your cruise.

It will be great to hear your thoughts after your cruise on Seabourn.

One final note. There are many wonderful people who post on both the Seabourn Cruise Critic Board (this board) and the Crystal Cruise Critic Board and from my perspective this is indicative of the wonderful passenger's that we have met on both lines. Happy cruising!!!!

Keith

Keith,

You comparison was very thorough and evenhanded. You seemed to hit it right on the head that it is not that one line is good and other is bad -- more that you just have to figure out what matters to you and what does not and find the ship whose strengths match your preferences.

Keith, thanks very much for the thorough comparison on the 2 cruise lines!! It's very much appreciated!! May I ask you (or any of you), if Seabourn & Crystal both offer the same price on the Transatlantic crossing, which one would you prefer personally, considering the sea motion, food quality & service? We love good food & exceptional service. Does the food in Seabourn comparable to Prego at Crystal? I heard that there'll be a new restaurant "2" opening soon at Seabourn, anyone knows when is it going to open?

The new "2" restaurant will be up in the Veranda Restaurant and as the Pride has just come out of dry-dock, "2" is being enjoyed now. The Legend will be re-fitted in Dec. so it too shall be lookin' spiffy with "her" new facelift soon.

If you love excellent food and service, Seabourn is for YOU! Both 6*'s!

Happy Sailing!

Martita B.

The new "2" restaurant is being enjoyed now on the Pride? Good to know that! So, I guess by the time I'm on the Legend in April,06, I'll be able to try "2"?? I love small portion so I can try many different kinds of good food. Wonder how people like it? Is reservation necessary?

My wife & I have been on 8 Crystal cruises and 5 Seabourn Pride sailings. Everything Keith said was "right on." Regarding Crystal's Prego, it is arguably one of the best seagoing restaurants afloat. Although a limited menu, the food was, and probably still is, excellent. The same for the service. When we sailed on the Symphony or the Harmony (may she rest in peace in the Far East), we tried to dine in Prego multiple times - sometimes with success and sometimes not.

It's really difficult to compare it to anything on Seabourn - at least the Pride. Prego is a specialty dining experience, but so is Seabourn. Never had a bad meal on either line

Dalliowner,

As the Spirit is in drydock now the verandah resaurant 2 should be operational by your cruise -- of course there may be a brief shake out period so one or two things may not run smoothly as they make the transistion -- but trust Seabourn to bend over backwards to please you.

P.S. We have a very dear friend in Herts -- in Harpenden -- lovely part of the U.K.

CHAIRSIN

I hope the new 2 system is in operation it sounds really good. We live in Herefordshire not Hertfordshire ( about 100 miles away ) but my wife did come from Hertfordshire. But funny enough , my sister lives in Las Vegas now, but used to live In Tuscon for a time.

:)

Jane, both the Pride and the Legend are berthed in Ft. Lauderdale today! I have tried and tried to find a webcam to view the "Sister's", but alas, have not found one yet! There are 8 ships in port today! Carumba!!!

Hopefully, someone disembarking today will post a "re-fit review!"

MB

I remember last year as I was in the Purser's lobby waiting to disembark and watching all the decorations being brought onboard and installed. I wanted to retreat to my suite and not get off forever!!!! As I have mentioned, this year I wanted to spend Christmas on the Pride and NY's on the Legend, but couldn't work it out.

With 8 ships in port I am, however, glad not to need a cab to the airport!

Dalliowner,

Mea culpa -- I should have read more closely. But you know , this just goes to show you that with Seabourn the world is a very small place and "coincidences" are not that uncommon. In fact, on our first Med Seabourn cruise we got to know a delightful couple from the U.K. but lost touch with them after disembarking.A few years later we took another Med Seabourn cruise (different itinerary). Standing at the lifeboat drill I said to the woman standing in front of me, " Isobel, is that you?" She turned around and nearly had a heart attack when she saw us -- same couple!!!!

The physical work to create the new 2 dining on the sisters is being done in drydocks, naturally. However, it takes more than that to make 2 happen. Menus have to be created and refined--tried out to see what works and doesn't. Tableware ordered and delivered. Wait-staff uniforms ditto. Training. Trial runs. Supply lines for ingredients to match the menus created--ships are "moving targets" for shipments. Lots of details before the company can definitely claim that the program is in place--thus March as date for completion.

bgood

The physical work to create the new 2 dining on the sisters is being done in drydocks, naturally. However, it takes more than that to make 2 happen. Menus have to be created and refined--tried out to see what works and doesn't. Tableware ordered and delivered. Wait-staff uniforms ditto. Training. Trial runs. Supply lines for ingredients to match the menus created--ships are "moving targets" for shipments. Lots of details before the company can definitely claim that the program is in place--thus March as date for completion.

bgood

Early March I hope!!

Host Dan

Did anyone happen to see the documentary, I think on the travel channel, about the refurbishing of one of Norwegian Cruise Line's mega ships? What an amazing amount of work needed to be done. There are certainly challenges of re-doing an entire cruise ship which never come up in, for instance, a land-based hotel! One thing that kept happening were small fires being started by the workmen within the ship. Yikes! It was on a few weeks ago, right after the thread (on CC) about the Seabourn ship that had been "refitted", but had all sorts of problems on her next cruise. Anyway, NCL had a "shakedown cruise" (with NCL employees aboard) and it was funny to see them instructed over the PA system to all flush their toilets at one time (to see if it overloaded the sewage system, I guess!)

At any rate, it was really interesting to see what goes into such a major re-fit. Chaos...all day, every day! BabyBlue, if you are on the Legend's April transatlantic, I'll wave to you (as they drag me off); I'll be on the Caribbean cruise that ends in FLL the day you embark! Gosh that's two people I've met on these threads who might be on the transatlantic "leg". How I'd love to stay on!

Jane :)

Many thanks to everyone's input! I've just booked the Seabourn Transatlantic April 23 today. Can't wait to get on the Legend....& try the food at "2". By the way, do we need to reserve table at "2"? Or is it like the dining room that we can dine anytime we want?

SantaAna, I'll wave to you too! What's the earliest possible time to board? Are we allowed to have lunch on Seabourn on the day of Embarkation?;)

I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful trip that's going to be! My only regret is that we will be passing ships in the night (so to speak!). I wish you a wonderful voyage!

When it comes to reservations at "2" and embarkation times, I will leave that to the experts; April 2006 will be my first cruise on Seabourn.

Congratulations!

Jane :)

Jane, both the Pride and the Legend are berthed in Ft. Lauderdale today! I have tried and tried to find a webcam to view the "Sister's", but alas, have not found one yet! There are 8 ships in port today! Carumba!!!

Hopefully, someone disembarking today will post a "re-fit review!"

MB

Martita,

I arrived on Sunday on the Pride. I turned on the TV and the bridge cam showed the Legend "parked" right in front of us! Very odd looking at a sibling ship. As this was my first Seabourn cruise I cannot comment on the Pride in the past, but I can tell you the TV set up is different than in the brochure. It is a flat screen TV which swivels slightly so you can adjust the angle to face more toward the sofa or toward the bed. It is on the top shelf so it is easily seen by more than one person. There is a DVD player on the shelf underneath and finally the Bose clock/radio/CD player on the lower, "hip-level" shelf. The Veranda Restaurant is not called "2" yet.

The drydock did not complete all of the improvements. The crew said 160 contractors would be onboard during the Port Everglades short turnaround to lay more carpet, varnish, paint, and add the Christmas decorations. Our stewardess said that the suites on 5/6 deck had new curtains and those on the 4 deck would get them during the turnaround. They were replacing the atrium carpeting during the cruise on port days.

Nevertheless, the ship did not seem to be 17 years old as the appointments were well-maintained. The beds were very comfortable.

johnny

• 3 weeks later...

Will restaurant "2" replace the current Veranda cafe arrangement at night, or will it be in additional venue?

Also, can anyone elaborate on just what type of restaurant "2" is supposed to be?

We're in the same boat (pun intended) as oceanbabyblue in that we're considering either Symphony or Legend for the Spring Transatlantic.

"2" will, indeed, replace the current Veranda at night. Here is a link to Seabourn's October press release:

http://seabourn.com/AboutSeabourn/SeabournNews.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=2563&Main=Media&Sec=MCNews

From my personal perspective, Crystal doesn't come close to the Seabourn experience. We sailed the line once, and immediately returned to Seabourn! Of course, this is only one person's opinion, but if I had to sum up the difference between the two lines using one word, it woud be as follows:

Seabourn= guest

Crystal= customer

A palpable difference in the overall ambience....

Denyse

Archived